XPEnology Community

Introduce yourself here

Polanskiman

Hi All,

I'm Ian from the UK.

Avid DiYer, IT trained up to partial degree level (flunked on complex maths).

Tried most of the free NAS solutions & my LG N1B1 just died.

So I'm looking to try DSM on one of the spare machines while looking out for a synology unit within my price range.

Been a regular Linux user for 20 years and full-time for the last 4.

Hopefully DSM won't suffer the downsides of the other solutions.

• Like 1

Hey all.  Currently in the investigative phase.  Been looking at a Synology for the last couple months, but nothing seems to fit my needs.  I love Synology software and use it regularly on my rt2600 router, but I want 10gbase T and 4k transcoding.  Unfortunately they are mutually exclusive atm for a syno. 

Want the 10gbit for attempting to run a file server containing game library to multiple impossibly small form factor builds thought the house.  Talking ghost s1 with a fan in place of the 2.5 drive.  Leaving me with nvme m.2s on the board only.  

I also will use the nas for a Plex server to a 4k receiver and multiple hd sources thus the transcoding.  Backups and a regular document file server as well.

• Like 1

Haiii everyone..., I have Terramaster F4-NAS Old Serries, Hope i can find some upgrade OS for my NAS cause FNAS Old have no support from Terramaster anymore

Thank You gaes......

Edited by 217R
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello one and All  👋

I am Dean from the UK .

I have been looking to upgrade from a 4 bay Synology to building my own home server/nas  with up to 10 bays .

I am a complete noob when it comes to Lynx and did not like the look of Freenas  i was going to give unraid a go but after a lot of research it just didint seem as good or as easy as the DSM.

So i was on the brink of giving up and just saving up to pay for and 8 bay Synology i cant believe my luck that i stumbled across this forum my project is back on again .

I would just like to say what a great job has been done here so far may it long continue and  a big thank you to everyone involed with the project.

Edited by DeanoBeano
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Fulatins said:

Running DS918+ as shown in the picture [i5 Gen4] and trying to get it working on another system [i5 Gen3] but without success at this point.

min. 4th gen intel cpu for 918+

it's documented here:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

you would need to use 3615 or 3617 for a 3rd gen cpu, and when using 3615/17 you need csm/legacy mode in the uefi bios and need to choose the non uefi usb boot device

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I have been using xpenology for 3 years now, without any heavy problems, instead of getting started 8-)

Now the system doesnt  start anymore and Im trying to find a solution. In general I like football and playing PS4. Not a digital native but built some stuff for them in my professional live - focusing on digitization, digitalization and conversational AI topics etc.

best

Jackie

• Like 1

Hello again,

I am loving what has been developed with Xpenology and have it running on a bare metal system and it is running great : 2U 8 Bay 2x E5-2630 V1 6 Core 64GB RAM X9DR3-LN4F+ Supermicro  and it is running the latest dsm version. but the reason for my post is I am looking for some advice. I started this road many years ago when M$ came out with the Homeserver software and I got my first HP ex475 4 bay unit and that turned out to be under powered so I built a newer system with a Norco 24 bay, well you may know where that went, as homeserver 2011 came out and they killed the drivepool I went with stablebit drive pool, moved on to Server 2012 r2 with the Essentials roll installed on a Supermicro  24 bay hotswap with X9QRI-F+ Motherboard 4x E5-4650 v2 2.4ghz 10-Core 8.0 GT/s / 25mb Smart Cache CPUs 16x 16gb 4Rx4 PC3-10600R Server Memory, than added a 45 bay expansion to that, so I have around 264Tb in two drivepools on that, just a little bit of overkill, but I am disabled and retired. But to make a long winded post shorter, I want to get away from M$, but I know the beast is a little  overkill for xpenology and would like some suggestion. It will be a big pain in the back side to remove all of the files from those drivepools, So any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks

Badjames 

• Like 1

Hi everyone, is Fran from Spain.

I want to learn more about Xpenology. I'm using it for a year and i've some problems with the last actualization, especially hw acceleration in plex, so i'm tryin to fix it.  I'm going to read to you and see if I can get something. Of course, thank you very much to everyone.

Edited by Frantxu77
  • Like 1

Hello from Bulgaria to all of you! ;)

Here is my specs and I am wonder will be able to run this on :

Motherboard    GA-B75-DV3

CPU                    i5 3570K

RAM      16GB 

2x used 2TB HDD

1x 60GB SSD

1x 25GB SSD on which i think to install Xpenology or have to be on 60GBs SSD?

2x 8TB Desktop Expansion Drives which are almost full! ;)

I just want first to see it in action and then i may buy good HDD/SSD`s

Thanks in advance for your help and time!

P.S. In fact, I want to make a home server with all my stuff so I don't have to take all my HDDs with me while I am on the go or on vacation, to use my stuff, watch movies or listen to music!

Edited by xDaemon
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I am Laura from Sweden

Just getting into this fantastic software. Have been successful in installing it on 3 HP Proliant ML110 G6 servers but have also had issues with trying to install it on similar servers (same make and model! and also issues with trying to install it on an ML110 G7 server, doesn't recognise the usb!) Issues with netscan not picking up mac and ip addresses. Also looking to install it on some i5 4th generation computers.

First build on the ML110 G6, it will only accept 4 drives, yet the other 2 have accepted 6! Weird! :)

I am sure I will find solutions to all these problems in the FAQ's and searches :)

• Like 1

Hello everyone, regards from Italy.

i have been silently reading the forum for a while and finally decided to register and purchase my hardware which will be arriving in the next few days. 

a special thanks to who runs the website and to who develops and maintains the loader and driver, great work! 
I have a question, I wonder if I need a wired keyboard or if a wireless Bluetooth keyboard is ok also for the initial setup installation. After the installation will I ever need again the wired keyboard or could I use WiFi/Bluetooth connected keyboard? The reason I am asking is if is only need for initial installation then I will borrow from a friend, if need continuously, well, I will buy one

• Like 1

thanks Flyride for the quick reply. I see from your signature that you have the same mobo that I have purchased (Asrock Intel J4105-ITX). Do you know if there are bluethoot dongles that work  already at BIOS level so to that I can use the bluetoot keybaord that I have instead of borrowing it from my friend the wired usb to install the loader? thanks  

B

Hi all, I am an old PC user from the UK.

I love old IT kit, still very capable for so little money. I keep all of my data on an old QNAP NAS which is great, but it cant run Plexserver and I miss that interface rather than browsing through folders when I want to play something.

Combine that with 200Mb cable at the front of the house that drops to 60Mb by the time you get a signal via wifi or powerline networking to my PC and I decided to get a low power box to sort the issue. I have a 'new' N54L I plan to put in place with the router with xpenology on to run plex server, to sort my video files out from the NAS, but also to act as a torrent box that can max the connection out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good day

I try to install this software on my old pc, ga-z77x with it 3570, I boot with the flash drive,, but the synology assistant, don't find anything, I try this flash with my notebook, synology assistant find it.

What the problem?

I try to change network card, but got the same result

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

what a great resource. Im in Adelaide, originally from Glasgow. Moved to Oz 30 years ago. 

I followed one of the tutorials a few years ago and miraculously managed to install bootloader onto my HP Gen8 via micro sd card inside server.

Ive run into problems recently updating DSM so will post in relevant folder. I imagine it is the Post installation area. 

Talk soon. 

PS I really don't know what i am doing 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! David here from Spain

I own a DS416play, and use the Synology for several functions: mainly I have the master copy of all family photos and videos, plus Plex for kids to watch local movies.

I have discovered with the backup of iPhone photos using Moments (HEIC format seems the problem here), that there are some CPU intensive processes related with format conversion, face recognition, etc... it takes days when we upload some hundreds of photos to the NAS, day and night of spinning disks.

Therefore, I am planning to do my own PC based server (I currently have a spare system based in an E3-1275LV3, compatible with a 1150 socket and 4 cores / 8 threads with just 45W TDP!!). After some readings I invested in a new case, new dual NIC card and new disk controller, and plan to move my 16TB SHR cluster from the DS416play to the PC hardware without loosing the content (of course I will do a backup of the current 3.6TB of data!!!), and hopefully having better air circulation, more RAM and better CPU power. Plus I will be able to add 4 more disks if needed, to the current 4 disks I have.

I also considered to do a migration to a FreeNAS setup, but ZFS seems much more rigid in terms of disk topology setup than I currently have with SHR, so would like to stick to the synology software as much as I can.

Xpenology seems a perfect match for me!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, daparix said:

I have discovered with the backup of iPhone photos using Moments

just to save some time, you might try loader 1.04b and 918+ DSM 6.2.3 (you cpu is haswell and thats the min. requirement for 918+)

if you are interested in hardware transcoding (intel quick sync video based) then you would need this with 6.2.3 to make use of the driver

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/

if you are not interested in the hardware based transcoding then 3615/17 is also possible (lately seen reports of a more stable/better network or over all performance) but 1..03b loader needs csm/legacy mode in bios and you need to boot from the usb legacy device (bios option on boot device, there might be uefi boot devices too)

for moments read this thread

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/24864-transcoding-without-a-valid-serial-number/?do=findComment&comment=165545

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am Goby, living in Paris, France. I have two real Syno with 2 bays, a little bit slow according to me. When I found this forum, I just figure out that it could be possible to have a fast Syno NAS for half price and bougth the same gear as IG-88 :).

I am not familiar with the linux environment, but I managed to install baremetal 918+ 6.2.3 25426 Update 2.

I am still struggling with some details, but I am pretty sure I will get the help that I need here.

Edited by Goby
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...