XPEnology Community

Introduce yourself here

Polanskiman

On 2/7/2020 at 12:46 AM, exogadget said:

Hi everybody!

I'm Exogadget and too tired to have fun now :(

During two days I'm trying to run 6.2.23739 on ASUS J4005i-c

I used Jun's Loader v1.04b DS918+ synoboot-ds918.zip | 20.9 MB | MD5 = 5a5303a154d907b4adf99dfd201769e4

I changed VID/PID/MAC address to my NIC in grub and still have the same problem.

After first load I get an access to DS by Assistant, but after OS installation (10mins delay) - DS stays offline and IP address isn't reachable. And that is permanent. Please give me advice and help me, guys!

What I have to check?

How do I have to check it?

I tried ds3615_6.2 loader but nothing there.

Done. Successfully ran on ASUS J4005i-C, RAM 8GB.

Jun's Loader v1.04b DS918plus + extra918plus_v0.8_syno + (rd.gz + zImage from DSM_DS918+_24922.pat).

Happy to be here.

Hello everyone,

I have inherited a second hand Datto device (4-bay dersktop unit) and plan to re-purpose it as a home NAS. I looked around the web and found out how to get in to the BIOS (password needed - discovered it to be "R@str", which workd). Phase one complete.

Having booted the Datto device from USB in to Windows 10 setup, I wiped all the internal disks ready for new deployment.

(it has 1 x 120GB Kingston SSD and 2 x 2TB 5.25" SATA in the drive bays, 8GB RAM and a 2-core Xeon 2.4GHz CPU, so not althogther awfull!)

I tried out OpenMediaVault but would prefer the Synology DSM as it has many advantages over OMV, not the least of which is the Apps available.

So, next pahse is to get this device booted up and instal XPEnology and then DSM.

• Like 1

Good news! (for me at least) I found this post which was very helpful.

I am now running Jun's loader 1.02b and DSM 6.1.x and everything seems to be working fine.

My hardware is an Asrock ION 330

4Mb RAM

Single 1TB hard drive

My main reason for needing a NAS is to run the HDHomerun DVR software, which was super easy to setup one I got Xpenology up and running.

• Like 1

Hello one and all. 

My name is Tom (( Paul Thomas Berry)) and I live in Southern Illinois, USA.  Please don't hold that against me.....I've been around more blocks than I care to remember.   One could say that I am a legacy and not only in my own mind which is how we logicians like to think of ourselves. I'm a legacy because of my age: soon to be 73.    What I know about the post 2K world of technology is certainly NOT impressive.  However , what I do know I have assimilated by my desire to make these Personal Computers serve me with as much effectiveness as their distributive nature does for networking across the globe.   Please forgive me in advance if I ask very basic questions.   My need to understand begins at the root in order that I may forge my ideas and my actions regarding what it is that with these fantastifc machines.   I can state accurately that that the first computer I worked on could only be communicated with thru a card-reader.  If anyone thinks that was challenging , it most certainly was.  I went through so many cards at the key machine that I was a fire hazard because of the pile of cards on the floor.  Which is why II I got out of the business for 20 years and went back in when the 'machines' had evolved to at least interact with them thru a real-time portal or video portal.    SO these PCs and new technology fascinate me and aggravate the crap out of me at the same time.  I  have 40 or so TBs of HDD and Memory storage in my home.  They are powerful and they are sophisticated but much of their evolution has been market driven as I see it.  Markets that operate with freedom are prone to unforeseen problems and knee jerk reactions which in turn leads to a road map that sometimes looks more like spaghetti than an outline to a destination.  I hope to contribute as well as ask but that may take a while. If I live long enough I might be able to answer questions from others on this forum.  For now, soon, I will ask some bery basic questions and do so tainted by a paradigm of system architecture that is pretty much obsolete and yet which set the stage upon all this notion of Artificial Intelligence we now seem to take for granted. As a side note  in the interest of semantics, I will state that the term "artificial intelligence" is an oxymoron.  It is true that machines can think, but that is merely the definition of a concept.   I now a lot of humans that cannot think.  Intelligence, whatever it is has something to  do with the esoteric, the mystical, and if we eliminate that from our reality then we will become little more than parasites scrubbing through the skin or veneer of civilized evolution.   If I annoy anyone with my questions, please be gentle reminding  me.  As you can see I have a very big ego..... :)  "survival in the 21st century demands a continual reinvention of one's self..."  So here I am.  Thank YOU for digesting my non-sense thoughts.   ONE last thought.  I am an non-discriminatory 'dick'.  I don't care where your came from, what colors your eyes OR your skin, how you grew up or what culture shaped you.  My respect for others hinges on whether or not they try to BS me as so many in our business turn into a profession.   Ask me a question in order to understand my question and you will earn my respect.  Saying "I don't understand" is NOT a question.   One learns by forging questions that have merit to the subject at hand. At least in my world.  Thx for our patience.  Can you teach a dinosaur some neat tricks?  If it is willing to ask questions, why NOT?

• Like 1

Name is danny.

so far being trying out the various boxes collecting dusts in the house.

it just pique my interest to repurpose my old pc that i intend to discard.

lenovo e72 - spend 12hours on it with my first attempt using the non xpenoboot, think it was jun 6.2 but fail badly with the nic portion that i cant find the box once boot up. grrrr....

tried to edit the grub config and all those other stuffs posted in .club and .com. even watch some youtubes.

finnaly use the xpenoboot 5.2

dell 3020 - was straight forward with jun6.2, usb boot.

then a sophos utm box with 320gb ob, yeah thats my current nas, dsm6.2  ds3615 i think..

all above are bare metal.

then i move on to hp dl 380 g9, slap in a micro usb to boot it to esxi 6.7, was curious on running it on vm.

been over 12hours in total, no success it getting jun6.2 on it.

cant detect the vm after booting up, just don know what im doing wrong with then nic.

when i load xpenoboot5.2 it works just like that grrrrrrr.....

to be continue...

• Like 1

Bonjour à toutes et tous, je suis tout nouveau dans le monde de XPenology, j'ai installé ce système sur deux machines, HP EX490 (DSM 6.2) et un HP N54L (DSM 6.1), vraiment étoné par la vélocité et l'efficacité de ce système.

Merci à tous pour les informations qui nous sont très utiles quand nous débutons.

Hello everyone, I'm new in the world of XPenology, I installed this system on two machines, HP EX490 (DSM 6.2) and an HP N54L (DSM 6.1), really amazed by the speed and efficiency of this system.

Thank you all for the informations which are very useful to us when we start.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks, just decided to join the forum after lurking for a while here and on Reddit in r/Xpenology.

I've worked in IT for over 20 years, and have experience in building PC's and servers but mostly I'm a Windows Server guy.

I came across XPenology a few years ago when I first started with Synology hardware. At the time I couldn't afford to buy my own NAS, so I was thrilled to discover the project. I managed to get it to work on an old Dell PC as 'proof of concept' to myself, and afterwards had an instance running in VirtualBox for Plex.

With the global pandemic, I've decided to repurpose my now idle HTPC to serve as a media server running Plex. So, look forward to my thread on that.

• Like 1

Long time lurker. Finally took the plunge and bought a HP microserver gen10 with 8GB ram for less than an empty two bay Synology 218j 219j 220j.

Thanks to the guide from luchuma (Tutorial: Install DSM 6.2 on ESXi 6.7) i've managed to get DSM 6.2.2-24922 working with Jun's Loader 1.04b in ESXi  with the DS918+ image without too much trouble. Still some things to work out.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings All,

Am semi-new here, poking around and seeing what is what here, was in IT for more years than I like to think about (Just know enough to get myself into trouble) was force into retirement almost six years ago. I really like the development of XPE, was going to buy a unit 4 years ago but could not come up with the funds at the time and bought another system that runs 2012r2 essentials since M$ killed the Homeserver and all.

Have a sandbox testing out DSM 6.1.7 and it works better than I had hope and just figuring out how everything works. So I hope that you folks keep up the great works (am hoping to get away from M$ soon)

Thank you Guys,

Badjames

Am soooooooooo confused!

• Like 1

Good morning all,

In advance, sorry for my English it is a google translation.

I present myself Sylvain alias Slysword on the Overcloking-pc.net community. IT technician and junior project manager, I am awaiting the end of COVID-19 confinement for a system and network administrator training.

Passionate about computers and finding more efficient solutions, I discovered your community following a project to create a NAS for 4K HDR film transcoding, storage and virtualization. I am a beginner in this area that is why I signed up for your community.

• Like 1

il y a 9 minutes, premikkoci a dit :

What media server do you use for 4K HDR transcoding? I am asking because the colors are washed out in case of Plex

during my tests:
-VMware 918+ with Plex
-Windows 10 with Plex

My LG 49SM9000 TV I don't have washed out colors, HDR and 7.1 "Atmos" trueHD are recognized.

On a NUC i3 for on a non HDR 4K TV the colors are washed out when the format is not original, but in 1080P.

Hello,  

Found this place by doing research to build my own NAS.   Thank you..

I have built two so far it has been straight forward getting them up and running.   one one a Dell optiplex 9020 and one from parts from a supermicro workstation.   Those were tests. using Jun's 1.03b   DSM6.2  DS3615XS  

So I found more parts and it is kicking my butt

MOBO  Asus H81I-Plus

Realtek network  

Tired to use same loaders  and DSM but saw info about realtek lan 

are they supported not supported do I need some sort of extra file to make it work should I use a  DS918+ instead with Jun's 1.04b 

any info or place in the forum to search  would be appreciated 

Gidday from NZ. I've just installed xpenology on a HP Elite 8300 following the instructions from 

and it is working like a charm. Once I understood what was being said in it 🤣 it was easy to follow.

Is there an instruction anywhere on backing up the usb once it's working to another one??

Cheers

Luke

• Like 1

No real reason to back up the USB.  You can boot your system with a new clean copy of the loader at any time and it will be updated.  Save the grub config on your PC somewhere.

If you must do it, you can use the WinImage tool to copy your running loader config back to an img file.