XPEnology Community

Introduce yourself here

Polanskiman

I have a Synology DS418. Nice machine but underpowered for use with Plex Media Server - great on audio, processor maxes out on video transcoding.

Here because I bought an Odroid H2 to use as a standalone PMS server sucking data off the DS418, but the found xpenology so I'm seeing if I can make the H2 into a DS918+. Just for fun really, whether it stays like that will depend on whether I can make PMS use the hardware transcoding on the CPU when it's running DSM. If I get it running DSM.

• Like 1

Well that was fun, glad I found this place. No luck with the DS918+, turned out not possible to install 6.2.2 due to H2's NIC, but thanks to this forum I have got DS3617xs DSM 6.1.7 working really well :)Pretty sure I could now get DS918+ DSM6.1.7 running, maybe play another day.

The DSM on the Odroid H2 is much snappier than my actual Syno DS418. Pretty sure I could now get DS918+ DSM6.1.7 running, maybe play another day.

Now RSyncing some Plex Media Server libraries to new NAS, will see how that turns out in comparison.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi.  My name's Max and I'm a software developer.  Stumbled upon Xpenology project while researching DSM on bare metal.  I've had a DS411slim for the past 5 years and was curious about DIY alternatives to 918+. 

After a few days of tinkering and reading various posts I managed to successfully install DSM 6.2.1 Update 3 on HP Z230 workstation.  DSM 6.2.2 wouldn't take on it.  Not sure if I'm going to put this box in production yet, but it's definitely nice to know we can build DIY Synology boxes.

• Like 1

Hi,   I'm Dan

WHAT I HAVE/HAD :  ds107 that I managed to upgrade to newer DSM that a DS109 could run.  Everything looks like it was running fine.  

After about 6 month working, it turns out my system is failing to reboot after a few power failures.

My drive work ok as tested in in a USB adapter with extre EXT3 drivers so it can be read from windows.

NOW I'd like to try to build myself a system. 

HARDWARE I HAVE without spending:   

Unsure how to get info to describe my system by the important components  XPEnology and DSM needs to run.

Dell 7050 series micro computer  with a built in SSD and a 500gb 2.5" hdd built-in. 

Very limited SATA interface and  expansion possibilities. Hoping I can add drives via USB interface.

I have 2 x 1.0TB and 1x 2.0TB 3.5" sata drive I could use once I get the new system working with the built in HDD.

It would also be great to use the  1.0TB drive from my DS107/DS109  without erasing the data!

Maybe re-install  OS/DSM  and make my old hardware work again

While I build my new system and then add the drive to it!

• Like 1

Hi all,

After upgrading to Ryzen, I had a spare i5 i could use to replace my first "server": first gen i3 with linux (I use Arch BTW 🙂) and virtualbox.

I have been working professionally with Vmware for a while now, so that seemed the logical choice. Still, it was not easy getting into XPenology. After trying bare metal for a while with VMM, I used Jun's 1.02b and DSM 6.1.7 on ESXi 6.7 and passed through the SATA controller. I'm copying data over now and will see where it takes me.

I'm still looking for backup advice though. I have been using a combination of filesync and borgbackup previously.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Chris here, working in IT as an enterprise architect, but on the side I'm also an enthusiast and hands-on with many DYI projects.

Including Xpenology... been using it for 2 years now, mostly on HP Microservers (also on top of ESXi), with SAS controllers and drives (for durability) and also on other systems for friends and family.

Greatly appreciate all the work you guys do, including the contributions posted here from users!

Best regards!

DSC_0934.JPG

DSC_0939.JPG

• Like 2

Hello,

My name is Mike and i stumbled upon this forum when i was looking for a synology like os to place on my (old) pc.

but to be honest I'm more confused after reading the forum than before :D.

this is the noob section but where can i find the beginners guide or do i have it wrong that this is ment to run on pc's ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I have an old HP Elite 8100 CMT  convertible minitower with 2x 1 TB drives.

I am trying to decide if i should invest in new WD Red drives or buy a synology NAS.

I have a synology router with cloud server installed connected to an external 500 GB SSD drive.

Synology Drive is not available for SRM only DS Cloud / Cloud drive.

I want to use the NAS to replace google drive and one drive on my families Android phones for backup of internal storage AND SD Card (DS Cloud does not backup SD Cards) as well as PCs.

QUESTIONS:

Does Xpenology support the HP 8100 CMT?

Is there a guide in the forumns to get started?

What are tge gotchas?

Thanks team!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, Jeff here. My wife recently had an issue with her laptop, which I fixed. Six months later, it broke again. She never backed up her data, and forced me to buy a Synology 218+ so she can backup her data. I liked the software- I've played with numerous OS' on an old desktop- so when I stumbled across Xpenology, I wanted to build something that was fun.

I picked up a Dell Poweredge R710 with dual Xeon 5600 processors and 24 gb of ram for $109 shipped. I'd like to use it to store about 100 or so Blue-rays/DVDs, and maybe run a game server.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi I am Luigi I have a nas synology ds213j I wanted to change it and I was thinking of taking a ds918 + then I got to know xpenology and I wanted to build myself more powerful.  I have to buy everything because I have nothing, give me some tips for the future dsm 7 update as well. Thanks

sorry 

what do you think of this configuration
can go which image i could upload?

Intel Asrock J4105-ITX Gemini Lake Motherboard [90-MXB6N0-A0UAYZ]

Ram SO-DIMM DDR4 8GB Crucial CT8G4SFS824A 2400 1x8GB [CT8G4SFS824A]

450W Thermaltake TR2 S / 80 + 230V power supply [PS-TRS-0450NPCWEU-2]

Case Fractal Design Node 304 o.N. Itx white [FD-CA-NODE-

thank you

On 1/15/2020 at 3:41 PM, spooky said:

and I wanted to build myself more powerful.

a J4105 might not count as "powerful"

maybe a i3-9100 (TDP 65W) is more in that direction or a i3-8100T (TDP 35W) if you want it to be lower power consumption (the i3-9100T is not available and might newer be)

don't use "F" type cpu's they don't have a GPU and can not support hardware transcoding

mini-itx might look nice at first glace but mico-atx leaves more options about expanding because of pcie slots (8x for sas controller and 4x for 10G nic)

depends how big you can make the case

2 hours ago, IG-88 said:

a J4105 might not count as "powerful"

maybe a i3-9100 (TDP 65W) is more in that direction or a i3-8100T (TDP 35W) if you want it to be lower power consumption (the i3-9100T is not available and might newer be)

don't use "F" type cpu's they don't have a GPU and can not support hardware transcoding

mini-itx might look nice at first glace but mico-atx leaves more options about expanding because of pcie slots (8x for sas controller and 4x for 10G nic)

depends how big you can make the case

thanks for your advice even if we got it at the price of a synology ds 418 play

Hello I'm digimon;

Loader: Jun's v1.03b (3617xs) 
DSM: 6.2.1

NIC: Have 2 but only run fine Intel I219 (Intel I210 Not detect) but no problem". (Next month Buy Intel 8580 4ports and check few day later)
Hardware:

Custom NAS with:

GA C246-W4U Chipset C246 Satax8, 2xM.2, 2xGsata

16 Gb Kingston 2666Mhz XMP profile

I5 8500T

5 1TB Seagate

1 6TB WD

1 Cache SSD vi@ Sata

Loader boot in Msata drive connect with usb adapter.

At the moment run 12h aprox. and all it's ok.

Thanks Jun's and Polak's

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody!

I'm Exogadget and too tired to have fun now :(

During two days I'm trying to run 6.2.23739 on ASUS J4005i-c

I used Jun's Loader v1.04b DS918+ synoboot-ds918.zip | 20.9 MB | MD5 = 5a5303a154d907b4adf99dfd201769e4

I changed VID/PID/MAC address to my NIC in grub and still have the same problem.

After first load I get an access to DS by Assistant, but after OS installation (10mins delay) - DS stays offline and IP address isn't reachable. And that is permanent. Please give me advice and help me, guys!

What I have to check?

How do I have to check it?

I tried ds3615_6.2 loader but nothing there.

• Like 1

Hi everyone!

Time for a presentation as I skipped that part when I registered here more than two years ago.

I am David from Belgium and I work as an assistant in a ministry in Brussels.

I own a total of 5 NAS : 2 WD MyBookLive of 2 Tb each (one of them died last week as the disk had errors), 2 DS411J from Synology with 13 Tb each and the latest update of DSM. And also a HP Proliant Gen 10 bought at the end of 2017 with 16 Tb and 24 Gb RAM. It runs 2 VM : a Debian 8 with cron jobs and a XPEnology 5.2 which is down since an update trial, both on ESXI 6.5. so it is time to open a new topic here and try to bring that VM back to life and try to make the USB 3.0 ports active.

All that is a huge data capacity but it includes a full backup of all the data. So that should ca. 30 Tb original files and 30 Tb of backup.

I won't ever group disks on RAID volumes as I have had a bad experience when 2 disks crashed in a 10-hour interval on a DS411J. It took 3 weeks to recover the data. So no RAID ever again!

I'll also be pleased to visit the forums in French (mother tongue), in German, in English and in Dutch.

wile_e

• Like 1