XPEnology Community

Introduce yourself here

Polanskiman

Hello Forum,

I'm Charles Windom. I am a Solutions/Cloud Architect working for a popular virtualization/cloud company.

am currently running Thecus N5550 and HP Proliant MicroServer NL54 clocked at 2.2Ghz

My server is:

2 each - HP Proliant MicroServers running FreeNAS 11-2U1 only on one of the servers

16GB RAM in each server

1 Dual Port Gigabit NIC in each server

5 each real Hitachi 4TB Enterprise SATA 3 drives in each server

Looking to try out Xpenology on the free server to Xperiment :-)

Thecus currently has 5 each 8TB NAS drives configured in RAID5 for streaming only.

Other unit used for backup and some archival storage

• Like 1

Hello, I'm Nossie and I am a newbie with XPEnology. 

I tried it once in a virtual machine with virtual drives. 

Now I want to build a NAS with an older system: Asrock Q1900M motherboard with an onboard processor: Intel quad core Celeron J1900 2Ghz and 4 Gb memory. 

So soon I will be asking for some help and advice in this community. 

Kind regards, 

Nossie 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my name is Stefano, I'm an IT/Digital printing consultant here in Italy.

After some various approach to synology products to my customers i wanted to "build" mine at home for work backup.

I've started buying a used HP N40l and now i have a perfect NAS setup.

Thanks for your incredible work and for all the feedbacks that i've found so far!

cheers

• Like 1

Hi and glad to join the community.  Was a long ago Software/Systems Engineer and then into business. Now running a small non-profit and doing everything (IT, web, marking, accounting). So needed to consolidate data, automate backups (and apply this to the home situation also). Did some research and was led to either QNAP or Synology. Got a great deal on a QNAP but had a bunch of bugs. More research and zeroed in on Synology or DIY (FreeNAS, etc) with either BTRFS or ZTS.   Data integrity is very important and but I wanted a well supported platform but not be locked into one system as software moves forward. I've already learned a lot from these forums and will share my efforts soon

• Like 1

Hi i'm Dave, glad to join
I have a synology NAS DS214play and since I want upgrade it I've ordered:

i3 8100T + noctua 9Li fan
Asrock H370M-ITX/ac

microstar 721 case

16GB Ram

2 x WD red 4TB (+ 2 WD Red 4TB i have in my previous NAS)

1 x 240GB M.2 drive 

nice to meet you :)

• Like 1

Hi! I'm a CATV tech from the Chicago area. I have this great project box that cost me all of nothing. A big full size rack mount PC box with an EVGA 132-BL-E758, Xeon 4 core processor and 12GB of RAM and stuffed with a few HDDs (I don't know a lot about computer hardware, I can break it and eventually, usually get it back up and running). I used it for 3 years as a Squeezebox Music Server using FreeNas, then Ubuntu, then Windows 7. I can't say how many times I broke it, got it working perfectly, fiddled with it and broke it, got it working again, on and on. I have now moved my Squeezebox server to a Dell 9020 using WIN10. I was going to scrap the EVGA then I discovered Xpenology. I booted up 3617xs DSM6.2, and I am loving it. I'm mainly using it to backup my PC, Music and photos (I have 1.3 TB of FLAC and MP3 music). I cant wait to see how it handles Squeezebox server. Thanks to all of you geniuses that wrote these loaders and processes and to the guys making the great, easy to follow video tutorials! You guys are keeping a lot of old metal and electronics out of the landfills!

image.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, My name is Rado. I'm a complete noob at NAS devices. I wanted to buy Synology, but at the PC store convinced me that it will be much better and more powerful if I build my own PC.
So ... it is :
Case : Fractal Design Node 304
Power Supply : Seasonic 400 W fanless
Mobo : Asrock Z370m-itx
CPU : Intel G4900 - will upgrade it later
RAM : 16 GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX 2400Mhz
M2 : 128GB
HDD : At this point 4 TB Ironwolf. After all get to work properly will be 6x4tb, and probably remove m2.

At this moment is with linux and nextcloud. But I find it odd...
I want a software that will be easy to use by my family, will backup android, ios, Windows and be used as media server on my TV and audio receiver.
I don't know am I on the right place, but start reading today.
Hope for best :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My name is Michael and I found an old N36L from the time I was working for HP bought im the EPP store program. Now years later still in software I want to sneak peak into Synology NAS and read about XPEnology. Currently interested in running this locally for backups and maybe TV recordings later.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, I’m a 3d artist looking into IT in my spare  time and looking to usually get weird things done to accommodate my pipeline that is on a budget.

Owning two 3617xs (real ones) and looking to expand with some others but I need one on GCP, and google does not rent syno, so I have to build one myself with I hope xpenology 😉

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 5:15 AM, Sbrusse said:

Hi guys, I’m a 3d artist looking into IT in my spare  time and looking to usually get weird things done to accommodate my pipeline that is on a budget.

Owning two 3617xs (real ones) and looking to expand with some others but I need one on GCP, and google does not rent syno, so I have to build one myself with I hope xpenology 😉

Welcome to the forum. Read the FAQs first. They should lead you to the right tutorials and questions you might have. I am sure you will find what you are looking for. Have fun!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sbrusse said:

Hi @Polanskiman

Thanks for the feedback. 

Hopefully people will look into this thread milelong to be able to help me out as you deleted the other post, not sure though ;)

Cheers

Stan

I have reinstated your topic and deleted the other post. Hopefully this will make your question more visible to others.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Good day!

I'm from Malaysia, newbie for NAS/Synology/Xpenology.

I have an old pc that would like to convert to NAS. After reading around, notice only Synology allows different type of Hard Disk being raid using, SHR, because i have few different sizes of hardisk that wish to use for this little home project of mine, mainly nextCloud, media and file sharing. Using HP Compaq dx2710 MT with a PCI Sata card, 4 port sata (Sil3114). Total 6 hard disks will be used, 4 on board sata, and the rest on sata PCI card.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Xpenologists(?),

I am an IT guy who is currently stuck at home getting medical treatment.  Since I have time to sit in front of my computer and do some fun things, I decided to research newer NAS devices and discovered Xpenology in my search.

The reason I joined was to discover a way to install DSM 6.2 on a Iomega/EMC/Lenovo px4-300d NAS.  It is an older NAS, and I was thinking of replacing it with a Synology DS1019+.  However, I would like to see how DSM works first.  And it seems like a great way to play with the old NAS instead of trashing it.

Any help on how to perform this process would be appreciated.  I have already created a USB drive per the beginners instructions, but am not exactly sure how to get it installed on that NAS itself.  What type of cable do I need to get it connected to my PC?  Baud rates for serial connection, etc. would be helpful.

Thanks,

sbaustintx

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, i´m Ben from Germany.

I´m here because i want to build my first Xpenology NAS after I already have tried several FreeNAS, Nas4Free and OMV builds.

I already own a DS215j and a DS218 + and an old Zyxel NSA325V2.

greetings

Ben

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone! 

New to Xpenology here!

My goal is to have xpenology installed in a VM in proxmox with 5x8TB DISKs to host all my media content that my PLEX server has which i got on some random server in the cloud at the moment..  including running some other VM's not related to xpenology...

Hardware that i got is a Ryzen 1700 cpu, with 16gb ram ( so far ) and the 5x8TB disks...

I have a bit of a hard time figuring out what a loader is and which one to select?? and also the different versions there is compared to the different models that exists... but hopefully i will figure that out at some point unless a friendly soul here on the forum can give a quick rundown of what all the different stuff is and what to select...

otherwise ... HI GUYS!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kladze said:

I have a bit of a hard time figuring out what a loader is and which one to select?? and also the different versions there is compared to the different models that exists... but hopefully i will figure that out at some point unless a friendly soul here on the forum can give a quick rundown of what all the different stuff is and what to select...

Hello and welcome to the forum. I would suggest you start with the FAQs section. You will get most of the answers to the questions you have.

Also please have a read of our rules and guidelines to familiarise yourself with how things work here. I have removed a double post.

Have fun.

• 4 weeks later...