XPEnology Community

[Q] How do i add more disks to 4.3 in VMWare ??

Montago

I guess, just create a new drive to add to your xpenology and expand from DSM interface.

I mean xpenology is RS3612 clone, so you may be able to manage up to 16 drives, if vmware stop you at 2TB per drive, it would make a whole 32TB...

• 2 weeks later...

That's it indeed. RDM overcomes 2TB's limit.

I have 2x2terabytes+ 2x3terabytes, all in RDM. Work perfectly.

A slightly tricky way is to create in existing datastores many virtual hdd files up to 2TBs, but I don't recommend this. Especially if you plan to set everything with RAID/SHR ...

I tried simply adding more HDD's in the VMWare interface, but i might be doing something wrong, since they dont show up in the DSM...

What interface type should i use ? IDE / SCSI ??

Doing RAID inside a Virtuel DSM seems crazy :lol: - i much rather have the RAID outside, on the host system.

Internal RAID/SHR works very well with RDM drives :smile: And make them compatible with real (non-virtual) xpenologys or synology boxes.

But of course if you can set hardware RAID with dedicated controller (not a motherboard RAID that is fake RAID), performance are great.

You have to attach VMDK files to SCSI controller, not IDE.

Doing RAID inside a Virtuel DSM seems crazy :lol: - i much rather have the RAID outside, on the host system.

There are some real benefits of doing software RAID inside DSM. RAID can be monitored, rebuild, modified and migrated easier. Performance is comparable with hardware RAID.

• 1 month later...
Internal RAID/SHR works very well with RDM drives :smile: And make them compatible with real (non-virtual) xpenologys or synology boxes.

But of course if you can set hardware RAID with dedicated controller (not a motherboard RAID that is fake RAID), performance are great.

You have to attach VMDK files to SCSI controller, not IDE.

Software raid is better than hardware raid (in most cases) ... With Hardware RAID you have a single point of failure (controller) - while with software raid, you can move your disks to another system and continue working.

Parity calculation is almost cost-free on modern systems like Core i5 and i7...

Perforamnce is also great .. im getting 400 MB/s read and 270 MB/s write (WriteBack Cache enabled) (4x3 TB WD RED x 5400 rpm)