nikkpap

From FreeNAS to Xpenology

Hi to all forum ,

I have a microserver gen8 and I am using freenas on it, but I am not familiar with the os and I like to go on a xpenology os. I haved used in various of home PC's with xpenology since the first release. Now days I have one brix gigabyte at home with 6.0.2 on it, from jun's hack. All are ok, I use it since the first day of release. I have only one disk for data and of course the USB for booting. On microserver I have 1 SSD and 2 hdd 2 TB for data on Raid 1. Data are very important cause it's a civil engineer office. Can anyone help me to setup the microserver and reset all the permissions from freenas. I will of course backup all the data to a usb hdd just in case.... 

Thanks

There is no migration path from FreeNAS to DSM. You will have to backup data elsewhere, install DSM with formatting your disks and copy data back from the backup.

As an observation, FreeNAS is a large scale community supported NAS O/S whereas XPE is a 'hack' of the open source elements of DSM that allows the Synology DSM O/S  to run on other hardware.

The XPE/DSM combination is a 'hobby project' by some clever Dev guys and could change at any time if Synology remove the open source components or 'secure' the system (DSM 6.2 seems to move in that direction).

If you are running a critical production business data NAS then be aware of the risks with XPE/DSM, and make sure the company managers know what you are proposing.

As an aside DSM 6x does offer several cloud backup options (Amazon etc) and if your data is as important as you say, then you should have an offsite backup regardless of your NAS O/S