XPEnology Community

Looking for SATA controller card for baremetal

j3390659

1 hour ago, j3390659 said:

Yes, it's listed on the compatible list at http://xpenology.me/compatible/ (look for the chipset number 88SE92ХХ on page 2 of "SATA / SAS / SCSI Adapters"

1 hour ago, j3390659 said:

Any difference between the SE9215 and SE9235?

88SE9235 Supports slightly better bandwidth.
https://www.marvell.com/storage/system-solutions/assets/Marvell-88SE92xx-002-product-brief.pdf

Basically as booth are PCIe 2.0 cards the 15 version supports 2.5Gbit/s transfer between the card and computer and the 35 version 5 GBit/s so will be a bottleneck if you use 4 SATA3 disks (4*6 Gbit = 24 theoretical GBit/s).

Edited by SteinerKD

also looking at the driver needed can be usefull when the drier is by default part of synologys dsm there is a higher possibility to get it working on later dsm versions like 6.2 (as you not depend on additional drivers from other people), the marvel in question do work with the ahci driver and from that point of view are not a bad choice

edit:also i would not count on that list http://xpenology.me/compatible/ as it was for dsm 5.0/5.2 has nothing to do with whats going on with 6.1 and wahts supported

i maintain a small driver extension for 6.1 3615 and there is also a list of kernel modules supported, but no detailed list what chip controller uses the module, i plan to extens this for the next version to make it easyer to see what hardware will work

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, j3390659 said:

PCIe 3.0 cards are too expensive for me.  I think I will stick with PCIe 2.0 card.  I think I am taking a speed hit with the PCIe 2.0 card compare with the SATA on board speed?

@IG-88  It would be nice to have updated hardware support list.  

What IG-88 said, driver compatibility is better than top speed, especially if you're on a budget. Anyway, my original numbers were way off (SORRY) as a single lane PCIe 2 is capable of 5 Gbit/s or about 500 MB/s. A single SATA III HD works at 100-150 MB/s or so so this card should not bottleneck you in any significant way.

And I agree with you, an up to date hardware and driver support list would be super nice.

A 'Supported Hardware' list for 6.x would be useful, but as there are lots of different devices (brands, models) perhaps a simpler option might be to list the provided modules/drivers in the default and extended ramdisk created by @IG-88?

An internet search should show up the 'supported hardware' for a given module, good enough to answer most questions.

• Like 1

the list of modules is already there (driver extension thread), but lots of people have problems to find out about what hardware that means

the plan is to list the chips supported by the module

first step for additional modules i added, 2nd is wahts provided by jun and synology

quicknick did it for his loader so i will take his list and check/add stuff

something like this

tg3 : Broadcom Tigon3 BCM5705/BCM5703/BCM5702/BCM5701/BCM5700/BCM5721/BCM5751/BCM5788/BCM5704/BCM5752/BCM5789/BCM5723/BCM5761/BCM5787/BCM5755/BCM5722/BCM5754/BCM57781/BCM57785/BCM5718BCM57765/BCM57761/BCM5719/BCM5725/BCM5762/BCM5720/BCM57790/BCM57795/BCM57766/BCM57780

so if you are able to read the specs of a systemboard (manual) you will be able to tell that storege and nic are supported (yes and i except that even this will only be used by ~1/3rd of the people)

brands and models are to much for a "list"

5 minutes ago, SteinerKD said:

I'm picking up a LSI 9207-8i today (PCIe 3.0 SATA III/SAS 2 x8 ports). I was offered a few SAS HBAs by a tech friend but they were all SATA II only (one 4i/4e and one 8i)

whats wrong with sata II? 300MB/s is more then a lot conventiona hdd's can handle, ssd'smight be slower then possible but even that will not be recognisible under average conditions

what chip and brand was it? 8i sounds like lsi, thats usualy good quality stuff

Just now, IG-88 said:

whats wrong with sata II? 300MB/s is more then a lot conventiona hdd's can handle, ssd'smight be slower then possible but even that will not be recognisible under average conditions

what chip and brand was it? 8i sounds like lsi, thats usualy good quality stuff

These were old PCIe 1.0 cards, one was Fujitsu branded, the other OEM. I think one of them might be using a LSI chip on it, neither had more than 4 internal ports and I want a card with 8 internal ports. If I get them I might give them out for free here I guess, but for myself I will go with the mentioned LSI card.

7 minutes ago, SteinerKD said:

These were old PCIe 1.0 cards, one was Fujitsu branded, the other OEM. I think one of them might be using a LSI chip on it, neither had more than 4 internal ports and I want a card with 8 internal ports. If I get them I might give them out for free here I guess, but for myself I will go with the mentioned LSI card.

even PCIe 1.0 isn't realy a problem as this cards are usualy 4x or 8x pcie so 1GByte/s or 2GByte/s

but yes having only 4 internl sata ports limits the use

btw. there is a nice 4bay SAS/SATA case from silverstone with miniSAS connector to be used with a exteranl sas connector like the 4i/4e card you mentioned

"Silverstone Tek 4-Bay Storage Tower for 3.5-Inch SATA/SAS HDD with miniSAS Interface (TS431S)"

but there are also cables for miniSAS to SATA (SF-8088 -> SFF-8482, http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas_cables_adapters/8882-1M.asp)

3 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

btw. there is a nice 4bay SAS/SATA case from silverstone with miniSAS connector to be used with a exteranl sas connector like the 4i/4e card you mentioned

"Silverstone Tek 4-Bay Storage Tower for 3.5-Inch SATA/SAS HDD with miniSAS Interface (TS431S)"

but there are also cables for miniSAS to SATA (SF-8088 -> SFF-8482, http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas_cables_adapters/8882-1M.asp)

Thank you for the suggestion, but the case I'm building the NAS in already have 9 3.5" bays and I'm also getting a  3x5.25 to 5x3.5" IcyDock HD cage to add to it (So room to fill 2 HBA cards in the end for some expand-ability), will have 6*4TB and 2*3TB disks to throw at it for now.

i'm at 11 disks from 12 but there is a point where it might be better to throw the monney for bigger disks (8TB) instead of investing in ports (and hotswap bays), also more disks consume more energy and produce more heat

investing in small disks will also limit the 2nd use for backup as you will also need lots of ports (and a board with 2x pcie slots) - at least i try to use the old disks for backup as selling 4-5 year old disks wont bring much money

• 6 months later...

Hello all

I got LSI 9207-8i card (Dell 9217-8i reflashed to 9207 IT firmware) with 3 x Seagate IronWolf 10TB running on DSM 6.1.6 (Intel i7-3770S, Jetway NF9A-Q67, 8GB RAM)

I cannot complete the creation of a RAID5 Group - half way through 'Parity Checks' then system reports 'Disk crash (System Partition Failed, Normal)' on one of the drives - if i connect the drives the onboard SATA controller the RAID group can be created.  (the mobo has 2 x SATAIII and 4 x SATAII onboard)

I have set the SATA port mapping to 'appendSataPort48'

Anyone running LSI 9207-8i on 1.02b Bootloader & DSM 6.1.6?

Or should get a different/supported HBA?

Edited by toker

• 4 weeks later...

I have resolved my LSI HBA issue, not sure what it was but I did the following..

Reflash with sas2flash.efi –o –e -7  (wipe all info on HBA), I had to manually add sasaddress, serial, make/model, part # etc.. after flashing to P20 IT. 

lsiutil.efi: option 13) set the port to 'wide' from 'auto' - to stop LSI randomly assigning PhyNum <-> Port

This does however reverse the Mini SAS SFF-8087 > 4 x SAS/SATA cable ordering - still no fix for drive ordering # under DSM but at least the drive mappings under LSI are now consistent after the change to 'wide'.

Before

SATA Maximum Queue Depth:  [0 to 127, default is 32]
 Device Missing Report Delay:  [0 to 2047, default is 0]
 Device Missing I/O Delay:  [0 to 255, default is 0]
 PhyNum  Link      MinRate  MaxRate  Initiator  Target    Port
    0    Enabled     1.5      6.0    Enabled    Disabled  Auto
    1    Enabled     1.5      6.0    Enabled    Disabled  Auto
    2    Enabled     1.5      6.0    Enabled    Disabled  Auto
    3    Enabled     1.5      6.0    Enabled    Disabled  Auto
    4    Enabled     1.5      6.0    Enabled    Disabled  Auto
    5    Enabled     1.5      6.0    Enabled    Disabled  Auto
    6    Enabled     1.5      6.0    Enabled    Disabled  Auto
    7    Enabled     1.5      6.0    Enabled    Disabled  Auto
 Select a Phy:  [0-7, 8=AllPhys, RETURN to quit] 0
 Link:  [0=Disabled, 1=Enabled, default is 1]
 MinRate:  [0=1.5 Gbps, 1=6.0 Gbps, default is 0]
 MaxRate:  [0=1.5 Gbps, 1=6.0 Gbps, default is 1]
 Initiator:  [0=Disabled, 1=Enabled, default is 1]
 Target:  [0=Disabled, 1=Enabled, default is 0]
 Port:  [0 to 7 for manual config, 8 for auto config, default is 8]

After

SATA Maximum Queue Depth:  [0 to 127, default is 32]
 Device Missing Report Delay:  [0 to 2047, default is 0]
 Device Missing I/O Delay:  [0 to 255, default is 0]
 PhyNum  Link      MinRate  MaxRate  Initiator  Target    Port
    0    Enabled     1.5      6.0    Enabled    Disabled  0
    1    Enabled     1.5      6.0    Enabled    Disabled  1
    2    Enabled     1.5      6.0    Enabled    Disabled  2
    3    Enabled     1.5      6.0    Enabled    Disabled  3
    4    Enabled     1.5      6.0    Enabled    Disabled  4
    5    Enabled     1.5      6.0    Enabled    Disabled  5
    6    Enabled     1.5      6.0    Enabled    Disabled  6
    7    Enabled     1.5      6.0    Enabled    Disabled  7
 Select a Phy:  [0-7, 8=AllPhys, RETURN to quit] 0
 Link:  [0=Disabled, 1=Enabled, default is 1]
 MinRate:  [0=1.5 Gbps, 1=6.0 Gbps, default is 0]
 MaxRate:  [0=1.5 Gbps, 1=6.0 Gbps, default is 1]
 Initiator:  [0=Disabled, 1=Enabled, default is 1]
 Target:  [0=Disabled, 1=Enabled, default is 0]
 Port:  [0 to 7 for manual config, 8 for auto config, default is 8]

All is working on DSM 6.1.7

However, LSI9217-8i HBA card did not support lsiutil.efi Option13) - suboption  'Physical mapping: [0=None, 1=DirectAttach, 2=EnclosureSlot, default is 0]'

With this option available I think it maybe be possible to fix the drive ordering # under DSM to match the physical drive slots. 

Documentation states LSI3000 series chipset is required for this option. (HBA with LSI 3008 or 3108 chipset aka Broadcom/LSI 12Gb/s SAS3 HBAs)

Next DSM build I will just go with a Mobo that have enough onboard SATA ports (like MSI D3010 - S1431 v2.0 which has 8 x SATA3 ports via 2 x Mini SAS ports)

Edited by toker
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

If sombody has the need to add more Sata ports like me (I'll soon install four more HDD's)...I have running a Marvell 88se9235 card and it's working fine so far out of the box.

At the moment the card is plugged in the PCI-e 2.0 x16 slot.

IMG_5366.JPG

Edited by TNa681

• 3 months later...

I'm trying to use the same SATA card as Hostilian (--> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Syba-SATA-Port-Profile-Bracket/dp/B00AZ9T41M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508143179&sr=8-2&keywords=Syba+SATA+III+4+Port+PCI-e+2.0+x2+Card) and I can not get it to work. Expansion card works normaly because I tested it in windows environment.

Is there any trick? Do I need to install everything from the start? I'm first time xpenology user so I don't have a lot of experience with it. 

Thanks for your answers.

13 hours ago, IG-88 said:

what hardware?, like board, cpu, disk controllers, number of disks

what software? loader, dsm type, dsm version

does lspci show the card?

lspci -k

I'm using parts from an really old PC:

Motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-G41M-ES2L-rev-13/sp#sp

Disk Controller: Intel ICH7: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/i-o-controller-hub-7-datasheet.html

CPU: Intel Dual Core  E5300

Number of disk: currently 4 on motherboard sata plugs

Loader: DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b

DSM Type/version: DSM_DS3615xs_15047

how can i run "lspci -k" command? via SSH?