XPEnology Community

HELP! Directories disappeared and 0 byte available after repairing degraded volume

18wheeler

I have run DSM 5.2 for quite a while. Initially on HP microserver, then on ESXi. upgraded a couple of times(from dsm4). didn't have issue.

This time, I upgraded from 5.2 to 6.1, also from ESXi to directly run on Lenovo ts440. It took me a while to make upgrade and migration work because I initially downloaded wrong loader image. When it finally worked, I noticed one of the 6 disks that make up my primary volume is missing. files are still fine though, but the volume was in 'degrade' state.

Before I realized it was because DS3615 support upto 12 internal drives by default, and just by chance the missing drive was on the 13th slot, I did a couple of thing trying to identify which drive was missing and if it was damaged.

- ... multiple try to pull out individual drive -- now two drives were missing. but I can get SHR back once I everything back

- I narrow down to one of three drives, so instead of pulling them one by one, I rotate them in different slot. Let me call them A, B, C and this is in original slot order; after switch, the order became B, C, A.

- now I can see that C was originally missing, but now A is missing and C appears but has error access system partition. and now the volume is "crashed". 

Now I think the fatal step was that I opt to "repair" the system partition on C at this point. I should have put everything back at this point.

Of course I still don't have all the drives, but I finally remembered 12 disk limit by DS3615's default, and I change that to 24, expecting all would be good.

However I was present with the degraded volume with 0 size and 0 available space, and the shared directories disappeared from both web interface and ls -l command (ssh remote in). the missing drive becomes available drive, so I can use it to 'repair' the volume. I started to really worry now, but still remain hopeful that after repair I will be able to recover some data. 

I was wrong.

after repair I have a volume with full size (about 13T), but all used, and  0 byte free space, and all folders are still missing.

I did back up my photo/home video folders, home folders, and shared document folders. I do wish to get my video library, music, and ebook libraries back, so that I don't need to go back the the original media (some might not here anymore).

I am quite comfortable with linux command line, if someone can point out a way to recover the data it would be very much appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance!

Edited by 18wheeler

he did not tell what the hardware configuration was to have a >12 problem he would need more then 12 sata ports in the system, but he did only mentioned the base lenovo system, i would prefer to know the hardware before judge what the problem is/was

to change the default (12) also means every time you install a new dsm (like 6.1.0-> 6.1.1->6.1.2->...) you always end up with a system that does nor fit and faulty raid's because drives are missing when you boot before fixing the config (and thats usualy overlooked by people not realy understanding it and just have doen this once half a year or longer ago)

so if he has max. 12 posts it would be better to look whats wrong and fix this (keeping the 3615 default config)

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

he did not tell what the hardware configuration was to have a >12 problem he would need more then 12 sata ports in the system, but he did only mentioned the base lenovo system, i would prefer to know the hardware before judge what the problem is/was

to change the default (12) also means every time you install a new dsm (like 6.1.0-> 6.1.1->6.1.2->...) you always end up with a system that does nor fit and faulty raid's because drives are missing when you boot before fixing the config (and thats usualy overlooked by people not realy understanding it and just have doen this once half a year or longer ago)

so if he has max. 12 posts it would be better to look whats wrong and fix this (keeping the 3615 default config)

I've gone through a number of upgrades with no issues due to changed config as long as I don't go over 26 drives, just have to remember to edit both the one in /etc and /etc.defaults (or am I wrong about that? Seems to have worked for me). I bow to your greater expertise here but still think that just editing the /etc located config to see if it had made any difference could be worth a try (but by now the damage is likely already done).
My guess is he added a 8 port HBA to a motherboard with 6 or more SATA ports natively which will immediately take the port count above 12.

I determined the SHR volume is beyond recovering now. I just hope I won't have more trouble restore from back up. Still need to re-establish the music and video library.

the computer is a Lenovo ts440, with 5 internal sata ports and 8 hotswap HDD. Last time I dealt with 12 drive limit was before using ESXi VM. If I have remembered that two minutes earlier, I shouldn't have any trouble by now.

Check the bios of the lenovo and see if you can disable one of the sata ports, so that your maximum is 12. That will mean you do not have to edit your synoinfo.conf file for > 12 drives when there is a new boot loader. It will avoid 'degrading' your array if you use a new boot loader for the first time.

12 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

Check the bios of the lenovo and see if you can disable one of the sata ports, so that your maximum is 12. That will mean you do not have to edit your synoinfo.conf file for > 12 drives when there is a new boot loader. It will avoid 'degrading' your array if you use a new boot loader for the first time.

exactly my point

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

as long as not needed its better to disable the port(s) and spare the unnessisary complexity