XPEnology Community

Modifying /etc/* configuration files

Arabezar

Hi guys,

Just trying to modify some configuration file /etc/*

But I cannot save changes in "nano" (through PuTTY; logged in as admin).

Changing file permissions from rw-r--r-- (0644) to rw-rw-rw- (0666) also failed.

What am I doing wrong?

What should I do first in order to change file permissions?

P.S.

IMO same issue with permissions I have when installing "mc"... when starting "mc" I get a system message: "Cannot create /var/services/homes/admin/.config/mc directory"

Edited by Arabezar

7 hours ago, Arabezar said:

Just trying to modify some configuration file /etc/*

But I cannot save changes in "nano" (through PuTTY; logged in as admin).

Changing file permissions from rw-r--r-- (0644) to rw-rw-rw- (0666) also failed.

Not sure why you thought that changing the permission of system files was a good idea. If you can't edit those files it is not because the permissions are wrong it's because you are using the wrong account which does not have the necessary privileges. 

6 hours ago, nevusZ said:

Try with root permission

sudo -i

Then give your normal admin password 

Since 6.x there is no root account anymore

Yes that's the way to go. However I need to correct something. The root account DOES exist. It is simply secured in a way that it cannot be accessed directly anymore that's all.

7 hours ago, Arabezar said:

IMO same issue with permissions I have when installing "mc"... when starting "mc" I get a system message: "Cannot create /var/services/homes/admin/.config/mc directory"

You are using the admin account. You need to use the root account.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/1697-xpenoboot-52-56445-rus/?do=findComment&comment=21976

http://www.nas-forum.com/forum/topic/32391-midnight-commander-synocommunity/

http://www.synology-forum.ru/index.php?showtopic=38&st=540

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

Not sure why you thought that changing the permission of system files was a good idea. If you can't edit those files it is not because the permissions are wrong it's because you are using the wrong account which does not have the necessary privileges.

You're right. And if there's another way to configure ssmtp (/etc/ssmtp/*), I would do it. Synology GUI doesn't provide the way.

6 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

The root account DOES exist.

I know it. I hope nevusZ also knows. Thanks for the clarification.

19 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

You are using the admin account. You need to use the root account.

First 2 links just confirm the issue, last one is a bit messy but there is a lot of information there, thanks.

Of course I can install MC another way but I wanted to install it from Synology (even not official) repository.