XPEnology Community

Asrock J4205-ITX slow network speeds

marsb007

So I ran into a problem and I have no idea what could be wrong:

I have an Asrock J4205-ITX running DS916+ image (bare metal), 6.1 update 6. Works fine except for network transfer speeds.

Everything on gigabit connections. NAS is 5 feet away from my MacPro. MacPro has 4 NIC cards link aggregated, through a TP Link Managed switch (with link aggregation). The NAS has 4 gigabit connections as well (1 built in NIC, 3 Plugable USB 3.0 Gigabit ethernet E1000 dongles). All 4 list as 1000 MB, full duplex, 1500 under the network settings. All are link aggregated, and seem to work fine. 

My speeds? 16 MB write, 300 read. WTF

(i've tried both under SMB and AFP). SMB3 enabled.

I have 4 WD Gold 4TB drives in it, 7200 rpm.

Same exact setup, I get 75 MB write, 900 read in unRaid (still slow for what it is I think, but a lot more acceptable). Turning on jumbo frames didn't do much...

(I get 75 MB write on AFP; SMB is about 35 MB in unRaid)

Should I try a DS3615 image? I dont need hardware acceleration, since I'm only using it to stream to a Kodi media box.

I dont think it's the NIC, since all are reporting full speed and one is bound to work. Btw, there seems to be no difference in speed with link aggregation on vs. off. I'm stumped. Maybe I'm just tired, but I can't think of anything that I might have done wrong.

Anyone care to chime in?

Edited by marsb007
added afp/smb distinction

as usual, first thing to do is make it simpler

unbond, and just use one connection the simple way (on a normal unaggregated port an the switch)

under good conditionwith a 1Gbit/s network you may reach ~110MByte/s read and write, if not try to measure on the dsm localy what disk speed is possible

like here

https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Linux_I/O_Performance_Tests_using_dd

48 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

as usual, first thing to do is make it simpler

unbond, and just use one connection the simple way (on a normal unaggregated port an the switch)

under good conditionwith a 1Gbit/s network you may reach ~110MByte/s read and write, if not try to measure on the dsm localy what disk speed is possible

like here

https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Linux_I/O_Performance_Tests_using_dd

Can he use DSM HDD Benchmark instead of dd?

1 hour ago, Water said:

Can he use DSM HDD Benchmark instead of dd?

thats only for single disks, as there is a raid set of 4 disks a better performace then one disk is to expect (or at least everyone hopes for that)

beside if testing with unraid  and comparing, dd will be better as there is no dsm test in other systems

if something is wrong with the raid (like slower then it should be) a single disk test might show something (and looking at s.m.a.r.t.)

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

Here's the results:

1+0 records in
1+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 9.58202 s, 112 MB/s

This is with parity check running in the background, as I completely wiped the system and started fresh.

Non-bonded LAN is  77 MB/sec write, and 700 read, 1500 MTU on external NIC.  On internal NIC 72 MB/sec and 671.

This is on SHR/Btrfs. Since I wiped the system clean, I also tried Raid 10/Ext4, and it was faster somewhat.

Do these numbers seem ok? My Mac hits 800MB+ with a Raid 0 SSD stripe, so I'm a little out of touch with reality as to what I should expect...

Thanks again everyone for the help and suggestions!

8 hours ago, marsb007 said:

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 9.58202 s, 112 MB/s

This is with parity check running in the background, as I completely wiped the system and started fresh.

creating a shr(1) with 4 drives will result in raid5, for testing it might be easyer to create a raid0 or raid10 and test with that (and not checking the raid after creatin, its just for testing)

Non-bonded LAN is  77 MB/sec write, and 700 read, 1500 MTU on external NIC.  On internal NIC 72 MB/sec and 671.

i dont get you numbers (i tryed to be precise about writing mine)

on 1Gbit/s network the theoretical max. in "byte" is about 125MByte/s, depending on protocol overhead (FTP, SMB, ..) the real number will be less

it's impossible to have a number of 700 MByte/s for reading on the network, that exeeds the phisical possibilities, whatever you do to measure the speed it must be inapropriate for finding out about the network speed

dsm does have a resource monitor, you might try to use this one for the network speed

I'm sorry, you're absolutely correct... all the above numbers are Mbps.

So using the above numbers, I'm getting 9.625 MB/s write and 87.4 MB/s. Once again, sorry.

Which brings me back to my original question, why so extremely crappy? Could it just simply be the crappy motherboard/cpu? But Synology uses the N3700 which is I think lower...

Just as an update, the program I was using to test NAS speed on the Mac Pro was absolute garbage. I downloaded Helios LAN Test, and it's hitting 50-60 MB/s write and 65-75 MB/s read. I also changed the bootloader to 3615 bare metal (I was running 916). I dont think this made any difference because if I use the old program I still get garbage speeds.

When the program runs, I monitor the Synology Resource Monitor, and the speed spikes to those levels. I guess this is about as good as this little box can do...

Just as an update, the program I was using to test NAS speed on the Mac Pro was absolute garbage. I downloaded Helios LAN Test, and it's hitting 50-60 MB/s write and 65-75 MB/s read. I also changed the bootloader to 3615 bare metal (I was running 916). I dont think this made any difference because if I use the old program I still get garbage speeds.

When the program runs, I monitor the Synology Resource Monitor, and the speed spikes to those levels. I guess this is about as good as this little box can do...

I used J3455 which is similar as yours in physical machine and tested speed about 100MB/s

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...