XPEnology Community

Is there any solution for HTPC+NAS on ESXI

Ricky

Question

I have one ITX box and two SO-DIMM rams on J3455 but J3455 graph card not support pass-through in ESXI

I'm searching ITX board and graph card with these features:

1. ITX board with 2 SO-DIMM slot, 4 SATA slot, 1 PCI-E 16x slot, support VT-D, support USB & SATA pass-through on ESXI

2. graph card support pass-through on ESXI

I'm not sure whether ASROCK H110M-ITX can do so and it have 2 DIMM slot.

Is that possible?

Thanks.

Edited by Ricky

12 answers to this question

I dont think you could attach your disk in Proxmox, you would need to backup data then recreate partitions/volumes

Have a look at @fonix232 tutorial for information

Also I would recommend a test install using a spare HDD before you try anything on your 'production' system

1 hour ago, sbv3000 said:

I dont think you could attach your disk in Proxmox, you would need to backup data then recreate partitions/volumes

Have a look at @fonix232 tutorial for information

Also I would recommend a test install using a spare HDD before you try anything on your 'production' system

Yes, I'm reading this tutorial.

Do you mean use Proxmox VE install Ubuntu and DSM as two system, or use Ubuntu to install Proxmox?

I didn't find any more details about Proxmox running on Ubuntu.

I'm not stand: j3455 is a CPU?
The CPU not rdm a disk.
The passthru is a hiperviewer work.
And.. graph card what? Isnt suported by esxi?

I'm a n3700 (less passmark points that 3455 and unsuported graph) with esxi 6.5u1
And 5 rdm disks attached to the dsm.
What do you ask?

Enviado desde mi Aquaris X5 Plus mediante Tapatalk

4 hours ago, colrojo said:

I'm not stand: j3455 is a CPU?
The CPU not rdm a disk.
The passthru is a hiperviewer work.
And.. graph card what? Isnt suported by esxi?

I'm a n3700 (less passmark points that 3455 and unsuported graph) with esxi 6.5u1
And 5 rdm disks attached to the dsm.
What do you ask?

Enviado desde mi Aquaris X5 Plus mediante Tapatalk

J3455 with enbeded  CPU and integrated graph card not support pass through in esxi which i want two os running on it

ASROCK Z270-itx can satisfy all you need perfectly,M.2 SSD install ESXi 6.5, passthrough onboard SATA controller with 6 ports to XPE/DSM(better than rdm which can't read HDD smart info), passthrough a NVIDIA card to WIN10(need to disable onboard soudcard and graphcard, add one line to ESXi VM set ), the monitor connect to the independ graph card can show the screen as bare metal machine. For more use, you can creat a softroute OS VM (like LEDE).I am sorry to my English level:(

通过我的 SM919 上的 Tapatalk发言

I was thinking you would have Ubuntu as the main O/S running Kodi and Proxmox with XPE/DSM within a Proxmox VM

I found a tutorial for Debian 8, Proxmox install - Ubuntu should be almost the same

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/how-to-install-proxmox-ve-4-on-debian-8-jessie/

You could try this on your current mobo/hardware first and if it does not work look at @xkang suggstion for the Asrock

4 hours ago, xkang said:

ASROCK Z270-itx can satisfy all you need perfectly,M.2 SSD install ESXi 6.5, passthrough onboard SATA controller with 6 ports to XPE/DSM(better than rdm which can't read HDD smart info), passthrough a NVIDIA card to WIN10(need to disable onboard soudcard and graphcard, add one line to ESXi VM set ), the monitor connect to the independ graph card can show the screen as bare metal machine. For more use, you can creat a softroute OS VM (like LEDE).I am sorry to my English level:(

通过我的 SM919 上的 Tapatalk发言

Yes I understand and thank you, I'll have a look at that mother board

What do you mean add one line to ESXI VM set?

2 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

I was thinking you would have Ubuntu as the main O/S running Kodi and Proxmox with XPE/DSM within a Proxmox VM

I found a tutorial for Debian 8, Proxmox install - Ubuntu should be almost the same

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/how-to-install-proxmox-ve-4-on-debian-8-jessie/

You could try this on your current mobo/hardware first and if it does not work look at @xkang suggstion for the Asrock

I think Proxmox is very similar as ESXI

If I use Proxmox, I'd like use as run multi VMs, because I fix the problem about mount old DSM disk in VMW on Windows

So maybe I can use Proxmox after repalce current mother board

I have successfully done what you want to do with a Gigabyte Z170-HD3 motherboard, installed ESXi 6.5 U1 to a NVme SSD 240G with VMs: XPE/DSM 6.1(passthrough integrated SATA controller), WIN10 as HTPC also play PC games(passthrough a NVIDIA GTX1060 and integrated USB controller),LEDE as my major router(it is more powerful, instead NETGEAR R7000 just as a ap to provide wifi),and other Linuxs.Since you want a Itx board,so I suggest ASTROCK Z270-itx.In order to passthrough the NVIDIA graphic card successfull, you need add a VM parameter: "hypervisor.cpu.v0 = FALSE" (if not do this, you can see the graph card in WIN10 device manager but can't use it, this step confused me for a long time, I found the solution in Google's search results).

通过我的 SM919 上的 Tapatalk发言

• Like 2

13 hours ago, xkang said:

I have successfully done what you want to do with a Gigabyte Z170-HD3 motherboard, installed ESXi 6.5 U1 to a NVme SSD 240G with VMs: XPE/DSM 6.1(passthrough integrated SATA controller), WIN10 as HTPC also play PC games(passthrough a NVIDIA GTX1060 and integrated USB controller),LEDE as my major router(it is more powerful, instead NETGEAR R7000 just as a ap to provide wifi),and other Linuxs.Since you want a Itx board,so I suggest ASTROCK Z270-itx.In order to passthrough the NVIDIA graphic card successfull, you need add a VM parameter: "hypervisor.cpu.v0 = FALSE" (if not do this, you can see the graph card in WIN10 device manager but can't use it, this step confused me for a long time, I found the solution in Google's search results).

通过我的 SM919 上的 Tapatalk发言

You can save my times, thank you. I'll try it.