XPEnology Community

DSM 6.2 Beta

toastboy

On 6.10.2017 at 1:24 AM, haldi said:

installed that in the VMM, not sure if i like the new Package Center or not....

how have you installed it?

on a REAL synology box or on an xpenology box using DOCKER or VirtualMachineManager?

can't get it to work

NOT working baremetal with Junes1.02b for DS3615xs @ HP Microserver N54L. 

- Setup works. 

- Setup automated reboot not working.

- After manual reboot no network connectivity

but hard drives are doing something.

:-(

Looks that i only can delete hard drives and need a new MAC address,

that booting in Setup mode is possible again.

Some kind of making me really really *§""!§!! up.

Edited by Wurstpilot
  • Sad 1

On 10/8/2017 at 2:20 AM, Wurstpilot said:

NOT working baremetal with Junes1.02b for DS3615xs @ HP Microserver N54L. 

- Setup works. 

- Setup automated reboot not working.

- After manual reboot no network connectivity

but hard drives are doing something.

:-(

Looks that i only can delete hard drives and need a new MAC address,

that booting in Setup mode is possible again.

Some kind of making me really really *§""!§!! up.

Not surprising. DSM 6.2 kernel version is 4.4

admin@VMMDSM62beta:/$ uname -a
Linux VMMDSM62beta 4.4.59+ #22259 SMP PREEMPT Mon Oct 2 02:45:21 CST 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux synology_kvmx64_virtualdsm

Jun's loader would need to be updated first and more specifically his hack. This is just a beta so no real value of updating a loader for that. You can either try the Live demo or install DSM 6.2 on VMM.

• Like 1

beside this if i open the kernel modules in a hex editor there is the following at the and of each module

"...Synology SDG kernel module signing key...~Module signature appended~"

could mean the modules to load have to be signed and i dont expect the signig key to be part of a open source kernel release

so this might be a additional hurdel for a using dsm with other hardware

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Lordbl4 said:

beta is a good way to make and test loader before official release

Maybe for internal testing, but definitely not public. You don't want to disclose new tricks that are going to be used in the updated loader.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/10/2017 at 5:49 PM, abced said:

Maybe for internal testing, but definitely not public. You don't want to disclose new tricks that are going to be used in the updated loader.

THIS!!  ^

I'd prefer even these discussions were locked away on these forums - to certain users only..

At the same time, publicly, saying that it "can't be hacked"!  - until official 6.2 release, that is!  :twisted:

1 hour ago, Hostilian said:

THIS!!  ^

I'd prefer even these discussions were locked away on these forums - to certain users only..

At the same time, publicly, saying that it "can't be hacked"!  - until official 6.2 release, that is!  :twisted:

I don't see the problem in discussing publicly about DSM 6.2 Beta in general. As far as I am aware Jun's hack source code is not publicly available so I don't see the big issue.

To reassure you the details of how the hacks are made are NEVER discussed in the forum but in private. It has always been the case.

@Wurstpilot

I confirme that the upgrade is NOT WORKING.  :(

My xpenology runing "DSM 6.1.3-15152 Update 8"   crash deadly when I used the file  "synology-assistant-6.1-15163.exe"

My xpenology a baremetal type, using with "Junes1.02b" for "DS3615xs"

SO DON'T try to updateto DSM 6.2 Beta before the validation of a new bootloader.

link = https://www.synology.com/fr-fr/beta/DSM62Beta/release_note    DON'T USE !

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2017 at 7:49 PM, IG-88 said:

beside this if i open the kernel modules in a hex editor there is the following at the and of each module

could mean the modules to load have to be signed and i dont expect the signig key to be part of a open source kernel release

Are Synology required to release their kernel modules under the GPL?

you mean "the source of the kernel"

if they decide to secure the compiled code or any package with a signature there is nothing wrong, as long as you dont have the private key you can't reproduce the signature, and the fact that you can read the source code for the checking procedure does'nt help you to use a original dsm file as it's done yet

one way would be to "invalidate" the code that is checking it at runtime/booting (nicer words for hacking the running system to not do checks)

lets not jump to conclusions as it is to early, and looking into this might be the task of someone trying to make 6.2 run on "unauthorised" hardware

1st step might be to just make it run on a system thats not made by synology with the drivers that come with the dsm release

btw the melanox drivers are not part of 916+, i have not "mapped" the drivers in that release yet but a addition to signed drivers would be to only release drivers in a package that are needed and nothing additional, makeing it harder to succeed after 1st step (and every hardware plattform/box gets there own private keys so you can't swap drivers from one to another), but thats just mind games of what might be, atm we can only stand on the fance and wait (and there is no urgent need, 6.1 is running fine, and i have'nt spotted a killer feature in 6.2 that is missed by everyone)

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I’ve done a bit of research as to why Synology would be signing their kernel modules. Could it maybe be to allow for Secure Boot as it seems to be a requirement for using this feature?

I’m not sure if this is relevant but disabling secure boot may invalidate the need for requiring signed modules?

If so this PITA hardening feature can be disabled with a simple kernel flag when recompiling the Synology kernel from source.

http:// https://askubuntu.com/questions/773734/how-to-install-module-ko-module-without-kernel-signature-or-kernel-rebuild-in-ub

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if its so easy to compile a new kernel why did jun made the effort to patch the running kernel, a newly compiled kernel could support amd and even hyper-v but we dont see this

i'd expect some protections to preventing things like that and for 6.2, i would not think to much about it, we will see when it got officially released by synology

41 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

if its so easy to compile a new kernel why did jun made the effort to patch the running kernel, a newly compiled kernel could support amd and even hyper-v but we dont see this

i'd expect some protections to preventing things like that and for 6.2, i would not think to much about it, we will see when it got officially released by synology

Hmm good point, let's just hope that the reason for Synology doing this is purely for modernisation and not as an attack on Xpenology. As we are after all niche and hobbyists.

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2018 at 5:20 PM, abced said:

Have anyone tried running beta in VMM? In theory, it is supposed to work.

Yes. Below a post I made in this thread last year.

On 10/8/2017 at 11:20 AM, Polanskiman said:

Not surprising. DSM 6.2 kernel version is 4.4

admin@VMMDSM62beta:/$ uname -a
Linux VMMDSM62beta 4.4.59+ #22259 SMP PREEMPT Mon Oct 2 02:45:21 CST 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux synology_kvmx64_virtualdsm

Jun's loader would need to be updated first and more specifically his hack. This is just a beta so no real value of updating a loader for that. You can either try the Live demo or install DSM 6.2 on VMM.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...