XPEnology Community

I upgraded my CPU and know i have problmes. Please help.

Joelyuk

Hello all this is my first time on here but i have been mucking around with XPEonolgy for a while now but i cant figure this out right now. I had my system running well on a HP Microserver Gen8. Today i have replaced the CPU for Xeon version but now its coming up to install the PAT file again and wipe the hard drives. That is something that i can not do because i dont want to lose my data. Had anyone else had this. If so could you please help me. Thank you in advance.

I am running 

HP Microserver Gen8

10gb Ram

3 X WD Red

Old CPU Intel Celeron G1610T

New CPU Intel Xeon E3-1220L

Howdy.

I'm planning an Up(down)grade from G1610T to E3-1265L so pretty soon i'm gonna be in the same position as Joelyuk.

Why exactly does the CPU Change influence the System?

When you boot the System and check via HP Remote Consoler or Monitor, do you see the option instead of normal boot Reinstall the image?

Last time i had an issue with my RAID array and broken DSM Partition i've simply reinstalled and pressed "Migrate all data" and got back to normal usage after reinstalling the .pat file.

I suspect that when DSM is installed for the first time there is some sort of 'hardware configuration' written to a system file and a significant change of hardware like a CPU causes the system to think its moved and hence the migrate requirement to re-install DSM with the new 'configuration'.  A migration keeps user data and if there is a message saying disks will be erased then something else has happened which may or may not be damaging to the data. I would reinstall the old CPU, to bring the system back and take a data backup, then swap CPU again and migrate. You could try disconnecting your raid drives, install DSM on a spare HDD connected to SATA channel 1 with same admin user details but don't create a volume, shutdown. Reconnect raid HDDS to SATA 2-n then boot. DSM will boot from the clean HDD and you will get warnings of failed system partitions on 2-n, after repair shutdown disconnect HDD1, move the raid to correct channels and reboot.   

9 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

I suspect that when DSM is installed for the first time there is some sort of 'hardware configuration' written to a system file and a significant change of hardware like a CPU causes the system to think its moved and hence the migrate requirement to re-install DSM with the new 'configuration'.  A migration keeps user data and if there is a message saying disks will be erased then something else has happened which may or may not be damaging to the data. I would reinstall the old CPU, to bring the system back and take a data backup, then swap CPU again and migrate. You could try disconnecting your raid drives, install DSM on a spare HDD connected to SATA channel 1 with same admin user details but don't create a volume, shutdown. Reconnect raid HDDS to SATA 2-n then boot. DSM will boot from the clean HDD and you will get warnings of failed system partitions on 2-n, after repair shutdown disconnect HDD1, move the raid to correct channels and reboot.   

I switch the PC completely  from Core 2 duo to Core i proccessor and the system and the data remain without change, I didn't reinstall the system, it just works in the second PC normally as the first PC

27 minutes ago, Water said:

I switch the PC completely  from Core 2 duo to Core i proccessor and the system and the data remain without change, I didn't reinstall the system, it just works in the second PC normally as the first PC

Maybe the differences between Core2 and Core i are small enough that the configuration change is not detected, but celeron to zeon does? It would be an interesting 'exercise' to try various changes and see which ones trigger a 'migration' (eg AMD to Intel or the case of celeron to zeon). I have some hardware I could test but not high end processors. 

• 2 weeks later...