XPEnology Community

XPEnology on HP Proliant Microserver Gen8

Mentat

Hi May i ask sthg ?

I am trying to Buy a HP Proliang G7 N54L but cannot find it in market (Greece). If i buy G8 what's the differences in order to install Synology 5.x Software.

WIll i face any incompatibilites (S/W or Hardware or BIOS e.t.c)?

Please advice.

THanks you all in advance.

HP Proliant Mocroserver Gen8 is the new "star" from HP

c03760147.png

4 HOT Swappable HDD

HP B120i RAID

It supports RAID 0,1,10 (not 5)

For RAID 5 a RAID card is necessary.

I installed XPEnology 4.3 without problems and it's working, with some exceptions:

1. HDD spindown/Hybernation is not working

2. Power Off button is not working (no busybox support in 4.3)

3. WOL not working in 4.3

Power consumption: 35W

Hi Mentat may i ask you sthg ?

I am trying to Buy a HP Proliang G7 N54L but cannot find it in market (Greece). If i buy G8 what's the differences in order to install Synology 5.x Software.

Please advice.

THanks you in advance.

I'm using DSM 5, working perfect. About plex dont know, i dont like to use any DLNA who using transcoding (i'm using serviio, with transcoding disabled). I wish to use twonky too :smile:.

Sent from my CloudMobile using Tapatalk

Hi M3kk may i ask you sthg ?

Please advice.

THanks you in advance.

I don't know how the installation process on N54L but you will not have any problems with Gen8. You could install Xpenology as virtual machine or directly.

Hi again,

What's the differences if install on USB XPenology or as Virtual Machine. Which is better? Faster?

Sorry but i am a newbie :sad:

Xpenology as a virtual machine is more complicated to install. So if you don't want to run other OS than Xpenology parallel on same server just install it directly with USB stick.

With direct install speed might be better (compared to sharing resources with other VMs) but you could have higher fan noise. Be sure to have latest drivers installed for lowest fan noise.

I'm using DSM 5, working perfect. About plex dont know, i dont like to use any DLNA who using transcoding (i'm using serviio, with transcoding disabled). I wish to use twonky too :smile:.

Hi M3kk may i ask you sthg ?

Please advice.

THanks you in advance.

Hi,

I'm using some gen8 with XPenolgy since months, and no issues for me :smile:.

• 4 weeks later...

Running 5.1 on Gen8 and its going great guns .. but is there a better downloader than download station? I would want something that can be started and stopped on a schedule like utorrent .. also would be great if it could be controlled via a tablet app.

2"nd point .. Its running xpenology on bare metal ATM what would be the procedure to virtualize that enviro, install esxi then install xpenology AND w10 as VM's ?? is this even possible .. would be willing to re-install everything BUT not lose existing data :???:

AFAIK these machines DO NOT have hot swappable disks .. if you insert or extract a disk when its *running* you will get errors

Thanks for the good work esp zenoboot.

Edited by Guest

I use pyload as downloader. There is an good android app for controlling and adding downloads.

If you use esxi you can install Xpenology and Windows/Linux of course. Only bottleneck is your hardware. I think most important is to have enough RAM for every VM. Then you can run as much as you want.

But I'm not sure if you can directly use your hard drives. I think you have to backup all your data and restore it after setting up Xpenology as VM.

• 4 weeks later...