XPEnology Community

Add volumes in VM DMS under virtualbox

geohector

Hello.

A time I come reading the forum, ultimately I have decided to go for a NAS since my disc of network was not going too much good. I have followed the steps of several pages with indications and recommendations and several tutoriales, some of the forum and others of thereabouts, and ultimately I am decide for a HPE microserver GEN10, in which I have installed ubuntu 16.04 server (8gb ram, ssd and several hdd more).

In this SO I have installed oracle virtualbox (I have tried so much with 5.40 of the repos of ubuntu, since with her 5.1.x of oracle for ubuntu 16.04). In VBOX is virtualizado successfully the DMS (with a system disc of 10Gb-poniéndolo scsi as the tuto say, but in a particion of the ssd - and that of launcher-loader in way ide, also in this partition of the ssd-, 2 cores, 2Gb of RAM ...). 

My problem comes, once installed and formed the DMS, when I try to add discs for the storage, that I do not manage to add new virtual discs successfully, only I can use as discs those of system (loader and the own partition of the SO, which scarcely they have usable space). On having tried to add other two discs hdd big that I want to use (several teras) there is no way of them connecting to the DSM. In the VM I put them without problems, have tried doing a link vmdk "virtually" to an entire disc directly and also creating a new vdi of fixed size and it adding like sata to the VM) but in no case it recognizes them as discs of the system. More that I have come it is to taking them as external units, with what he me shares them complete and I cannot create volumes, quotas, raid...

I suppose that some he will say to me that he should install the DMS directly in one of the hdd directly (it was not my idea, which wanted to leave it only for information, but it it might it does this way) but in this case I will be equal, when it wants to add another disc of storage, how will I do it?

How is it necessary to do this process? Must I put the virtual discs connected to the machine of virtualbox before starting installing? I have not found anything on this topic and gun-sight for that I have looked, but the same thing I am awkward ...

help me please!!!

Regards, Héctor.

• 2 weeks later...

So much ... but what's your question?

Do you want to mount old physical disk in VirtualBox or add new physical disk?

If option 1, you can get help from my previous post, if option 2 I think it may also usefull, maybe you can try add partition in windows and use it online, then use virtualbox command create one vmdk and mount in VM

Edited by Ricky

Hi.

I have installed ubuntu server on the microserver, in a part of ssd, with the home and another data partition in an hdd.

Then I install the DSM in a VirtualBox virtual machine, using a small part of the ssd.

Once installed DSM, I do it without major problems (although I later saw that I had the "timebombmachine" and tube to change the loder and reinstall from zero) I try to add two hdd disks entire (in ext4 format, although I have also tested with ext3 and ntfs) to DSM, both as vdi file, vmdk file and even as rawdisk.

But the most that I have achieved is that DSM recognizes them as external disks, so it does not let me create volumes. Never trecognize them as system disks.

From what I've read in tutorials and in the forum, it should work by creating rawdisk with vmdk, but the virtualbox does not seem to recognize them.

So I ask if I have to add these disks since the start of the DMS installation, although it does not seem to make much sense.

I do not use windows at any time and what I am trying to add are new disks.

ideas

Thank a lot.

Regards, Héctor

• 2 weeks later...

After a lot of laps, and by chance, after installing vmware in ubuntu, the rawdisk started working, if I linked them as sata and not as scsi.

So I have it working.

In case you can help someone in the future, give me that to work well in linux, and use full disks in the DSM VM, you have to create the rawdisk and bind it to the VM as sata. Also important is to give the number of suitable SATA ports.

Regards, Héctor