XPEnology Community

Newcomer to XPEnology - Questions

aindriu80

Hi,

Can you help - I was initially going to buy a Synlogy but because of the price I didn’t.  On Youtube I but came across some helpful XPEnology and I am now going to build my own NAS but I have a few questions about the process. I've been reading a bit but I'm still not 100%.

1)Does it matter which version of XPEnology you use to put onto the usb stick for the target machine? I guess with the bigger models they have all the features/apps compared to the cheaper models but is there a recommended version?  I was going to use DS3617xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.iso

2) I got the VID and PID of my usb stick - do I have to add in a MAC address using the Excel spreadsheet? If it is not used are some functions restricted ? The spreadsheet only goes up to DS3615xs and not DS3617?

3) Is there a 1-2-3 step installation guide to follow here?

4) Can I try the entire process out on a laptop with a spare HD- i.e. get XPEnology working - then remove the HD and put my laptop back to normal by just swapping back in the original HD ? Or the process make changes to BIOS/UEFI/laptop

Here is my future target NAS box : -
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/aindriu80/saved/#view=BWBccf 
Intel - Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor
Asus - H110M-A/M.2 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Patriot - Viper Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Western Digital - Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Western Digital - Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Fractal Design - Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case     

Many thanks,

Aindriu

1) There are 3 XPE6/DSM6 loaders that emulate the 916, 3615 and 3617, they are 'tuned' in some respects to the hardware type/spec of the real Syno boxes so if you look at those specs and compare to your hardware (mainly the Processor I believe) then go with the best. That said, most people are running the 3615 image, so it probably has the largest support base if you need help

2) The standard boot images have a serial and mac that will work for testing/setup, you can leave them alone for that. Once you are happy you should edit the mac to match your mobo nics mac address. You can create any s/n that fits the syno format, in an XPE build its 'cosmetic'. Look for posts on serial/mac for more about using real and fake numbers

3) There are two detailed guides for DSM6.0 and 6.1 by @Polanskiman pinned on the front page of the english forum

4) You can use a laptop with spare hdd and follow the guides, however this will show you the install process but it wont be a  test of the actual hardware you intend to use. Check the Asus mobo specs against the driver list for network and sata controllers to make sure they are supported (99% chance they are).   

• Like 1

many thanks for your response sbv3000 !

I'm going to go with the Synology DS3615xs since it has the support base and is most capable  I can always update my processor later but I won't miss anything.

The standard boot images seem to get everything up and running - I will just try that first along with a .pat file.  Then I will look about making changes to the MAC address or Serial Number later.

I seen the big thread on DSM6.0 and 6.1 by @Polanskiman but I will go through it for sure.

I might try an old HD on my old laptop (after checking if its supported) for the process.

Just one other thing -- can you access the xpenology from the Internet - outside the LAN ? Or do you need a Synology account to do that ?

Many thanks!

18 minutes ago, aindriu80 said:

many thanks for your response sbv3000 !

I'm going to go with the Synology DS3615xs since it has the support base and is most capable  I can always update my processor later but I won't miss anything.

The standard boot images seem to get everything up and running - I will just try that first along with a .pat file.  Then I will look about making changes to the MAC address or Serial Number later.

I seen the big thread on DSM6.0 and 6.1 by @Polanskiman but I will go through it for sure.

I might try an old HD on my old laptop (after checking if its supported) for the process.

Just one other thing -- can you access the xpenology from the Internet - outside the LAN ? Or do you need a Synology account to do that ?

Many thanks!

Your mobo shouldn't have any trouble working with the loader. It has an intel NIC using the e1000e.ko module.

Yes you can access your XPEnology from outside. You need to setup a DDNS, open the required ports in DSM and port forward the corresponding ports in your router. No need to create any Synology account. Search the pinned topics I also created a tutorial on how to do that.

Please read the announcement about Quickconnect.

• Like 1