XPEnology Community

Xpenology DSM shut down itself

Nemo

I successfully installed xpenology DSM for DS916+ on my computer. But there is strange behaviour. If I turn on the compueter, xpenology starts but after some while it shut down itself. If I use Synology assistant I can see "service starting" status. I have MB Asrock N3050M with 4 GB of RAM and 2x WD Black HDD each 4 TB. In grub.cfg I just changed MAC (I added the mac of my physical LAN) and PID/VID of boot flash disk. What can be wrong? Some bios settings?

Does the NAS fully boot so that you can login to DSM (Assistant shows 'Ready'), or is it shutting down before the boot is complete whilst 'Starting Services' is showing.

It could be a power supply problem or 'over temperature' error.

In the BIOS you could look at 'power saving' settings, hardware monitoring/thermal settings. It might be that an onboard sensor thinks there is an overheat problem so disable them. Also enable the serial port 

- No, the NAS doesn't boot to "rady state".

- The power problem it should not be because I ran this comuputer all night when cleaned disks (dd_rescue /dev/zero > /dev/sda) - there is about 50 W of consuption

- I have disabled all power settings options included Intel speedstep etc.

- Serial ports are disabled - could it be the problem? When I tested it in Virtualbox, it ran without serial ports.

Today I tested:

- enable com port - nothing changed

- disable power settings - nothing changed

- reinstall DSM - nothing changed

- sometimes I managed to start to "ready state" and after it pc shuted down itself

Is any possibility to get some kind of boot log or com port output for debugging?

3 hours ago, Nemo said:

Is any possibility to get some kind of boot log or com port output for debugging?

if it starts and shuts doen there should be a log

just use a usb stick with live linux (ubuntu) or any rescue system and have a look at he 1st partition (dsm system), the log will be there

to get a boot log without using the ubuntu process you can also connect by a serial port (thats why it recommended to enable one) and if you use Putty or similar you can see the full driver load process, memory and other checks, and the 'yourdiskstation' login once complete. If you have used XPE 5.2 and a vga monitor attached, its similar output.

It depends what may be easier for you to use - ubuntu or serial

I've attached an example from a serial  capture I did recently for diagnosing a kernel panic so you can see the output

bootlog.txt

Today I did some research:

- booted DSM 6.x from usb flash - installed DSM - rebooted - after reboot could not found by synology assistant - did hard reset and after it the pc started to shut itself down

- booted DSM 5.2.x from usb flash to see booting process progress - no errors appeared - installed DSM - rebooted - after reboot pc hang at Post init. After some while the error appeared:

synowebapi_SYNO.Core.Storage.Volume_1_list[18993]: APIRunner.cpp:976 WARNING: setresgid(0, 0, 0)

synowebapi_SYNO.Core.Storage.Volume_1_list[18993]: APIRunner.cpp:977 WARNING: setresgid(0, 0, 0)
synowebapi_SYNO.Core.Storage.Volume_1_list[19211]: APIRunner.cpp:976 WARNING: setresgid(0, 0, 0)

synowebapi_SYNO.Core.Storage.Volume_1_list[19211]: APIRunner.cpp:977 WARNING: setresgid(0, 0, 0)

- I did hard reset and during boot got a lot of errors:

Protected File missing: /tmpRoot/usr/syno/synoman/webman/synodefs.cgi

If I followed the tutorial added above, I could not assemble raid unit when  I booted from ubuntu live cd. If I used:

sfdisk -l   it showed /dev/sda1  /dev/sdb1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2 as a linux raid partition.

when I did mdadm --assemble --scan it said "no raid array"

when I did mount /dev/sda1 it told me "the device is a memeber of raid array"

So, the conclusion is, that during installation process goes something wrong - connected with system partition creation and after reboot partitions are not correctly assembled. Bud no idea how to deal with it. I'm not sure if could be problem that I have only two sata controllers on my mainboard and only two hdd's attached. In previous DSM 6.2 installation tutorioal I saw that I should set a number of sata controllers and their channel numbers - could it be the problem?

Below I attached a photo of errors.

DSC_0087.JPG

DSC_0090.JPG

maybe reduce hardware complexity

just 1 hdd (remove partitons before trying new install) if that fails try another including different cable (mybe no.1 was faulty)

maybe try 3615 image (and bootloader) , that one is kind of standard and used more often then the 916+

if that fails try to install ubuntu to one disk and let it run for a while to see if there are any hardware problems as kind of a burn in test

Edited by IG-88

• 3 years later...