Riza

Very bad network performance on ESXi 6.0

Hey guys,

I hope anybody can help me, because I've already tried nearly everything. I'm running XPEnology 6.1 Update 4 with Juns Loader 1.02b on a ESXi 6.0 VM. The ESXi Host is a HP Microserver Gen8 and i'm already using the hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM driver. I've created 3 basic volumes, all on a seperate disk. If i move a file from one disk to another on the DSM interface, the transmission is really quick (more then 100mb/s). If I write a file on one of the shares from a Windows-VM on the same ESXi-Host, it is also quick (about 70mb/s). But if read a file on the SMB share, it starts at 6-7mb/s and gets a bit faster, but not more than 20mb/s.

I have created a new XPE-VM, changed the network-card of the VM, gave the VMs more RAM, but nothing helped. Does anyone have an idea, why it is working perfect in one direction but so bad in the other?!

I've found some threads, where the people wrote, that it works nicely on a baremetal installation. But i really need the Windows-vm on that machine and I also like ESXi very much.

Copying files between volumes/folders on different drives in DSM will be through the internal sata controllers/mounted esx storage controllers, not a virtual nic so thats not a 'network transfer'. Is the windows VM on the same storage controller as the DSM volume you are copying between? Copying through samba/drive mapping will be in/out traffic on the virtual nic and also storage controllers, so that could be a bottleneck somehow. The speed of the drives could make a difference (5400/7200) read/write capacity in your setup too. 

just hit the same issue...

every network connection (transfer) it starts 50-60 Mbps and than it goes down to 11Mbps and fluctuates there.

it doesn't matter 1,2,3 nics / Bond / e1000 or vmxnet3 -> transfer between 2 machines stays ~11Mbps .

*** if i open a new transfer from another machine i get the same results, but i now have 2 transfers that have ~11Mbps EACH.

*** if i attach another drive , transfer between raid volume and drive it's working ok - 50-60 MBps .

it seems to be an issue in NIC management ?

is there a vmwaretools package for DS3617xs & DSM 6.1.3-15152 ? 

On 24.9.2017 at 0:27 PM, mythnick said:

just hit the same issue...

every network connection (transfer) it starts 50-60 Mbps and than it goes down to 11Mbps and fluctuates there.

it doesn't matter 1,2,3 nics / Bond / e1000 or vmxnet3 -> transfer between 2 machines stays ~11Mbps .

*** if i open a new transfer from another machine i get the same results, but i now have 2 transfers that have ~11Mbps EACH.

*** if i attach another drive , transfer between raid volume and drive it's working ok - 50-60 MBps .

it seems to be an issue in NIC management ?

is there a vmwaretools package for DS3617xs & DSM 6.1.3-15152 ? 

But is it slow in both directions. If I copy a file from my DSM share to my Windows VM on the same Host (same storage controller but different drive), it's slow as described (max. 11-13mb/s). But if I copy a file from the same Windows VM to the same DSM share, i get stable 60-70mb/s.

There are openvmtools, which you can use on Xpenology, but it's not like the package for windows or linux. There are no drivers inside this package. Only tools to read some information about the VM and to shut it down.

The crazy thing is, that it is working perfect in one direction, but absolutely slow in the other.

Posted (edited)
On 25/9/2017 at 2:36 PM, Riza said:

The crazy thing is, that it is working perfect in one direction, but absolutely slow in the other.

Exactly the same issue I'm having with my baremetal Gen8. No ESXi here. It's like 1 gbit/s in 100 mbit/s out. Did you manage to find any fix for this ?

Edited by jmayoralas

i always struggled with this issue, started copying on 100MB then after a min it dropped to 5-10 MB

i never got this resolved in 5.2 or 6.1 , seems realated to compatibility in esxi vs cougar vs drivers

si what i did, verry simple , i bought a microsd card 16 GB, installed ESXI on it, setup HP gen 8 in AHCI mode for sata controller

bought an ASMEDIA sata controller card, asmedia is verry important, since marvel is not supported

i boot from micro sd, my datastore is created on a small 2.5 ssd disk on that 2 port sata controller

i create a virtual machine, create a virtual disk 100 GB for my synology ... install and run

then i passthrough the cougar controller from the HP gen 8 , so i attach this card to my virtual host in stead of RDM mappings

now my synology sees the 4 bays drives, and i also have S.M.A.R.T

and offcourse full speed copiyn

ow, and btw, use thast HP custom builds for ESXI, older builds also had AHCI performance issues

now i am running esxi 6.7 perfectly fine