XPEnology Community

Extremely slow transfer speeds (USB / Network)

tinystarship

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday installed XPEnology on a bare metal supermicro X11SSL-CF running an Intel Xeon-D-1527 3.4Ghz with 16GB ram. I am running DSM 6.1.3-15252 Update 4 using Jun's official v1.02b loader, emulating a DS3617sx. It has 8x 8TB drives in a RAID 6 btrfs RAID Group.  It is about 33% into the Parity Consistency Check.

Yesterday I tried copying some data to the nas over a gigabit connection using some known good CAT6 cables. I had previously used them to copy 18TB of data off my old freenas server. I was getting in the KB/S in transfer speed. It would copy about 100MB then slow waaaaay down. At one point a 11GB transfer was going to take 23 days. 

I tried plugging in an HFS+ Journaled USB3.0 drive into the machine and tried to copy off of that, but that was just as slow. 

Should this be expected with the Parity Check? I even tried creating a network bond using both of the network ports, but it didn't make a difference.

I'm using the same hardware I was using for freenas, and I was able to copy all 18TB of data off the machine in 2-3 days, so I know the hardware itself works fine.

so I might have figured it out. After the 3rd power outage yesterday, I was looking at my parity check again at 0.23% and thinking not again. I happened across an open tab in my browser talking about the format types (btrfs vs ext4) and how btrfs had a performance hit. I had selected that because it looked cooler on paper. I did some searching and saw some pretty scary stuff, so I blew away the partition and did it as ext4. This morning I am sitting at 20+% done with parity, but more importantly, I was able to copy over 18GB off my USB drive in ~10 min, where before it was estimating days.

So I guess the problem was the filesystem during the parity check. too much to handle.

On 9/22/2017 at 3:46 AM, tinystarship said:

so I might have figured it out. After the 3rd power outage yesterday, I was looking at my parity check again at 0.23% and thinking not again. I happened across an open tab in my browser talking about the format types (btrfs vs ext4) and how btrfs had a performance hit. I had selected that because it looked cooler on paper. I did some searching and saw some pretty scary stuff, so I blew away the partition and did it as ext4. This morning I am sitting at 20+% done with parity, but more importantly, I was able to copy over 18GB off my USB drive in ~10 min, where before it was estimating days.

So I guess the problem was the filesystem during the parity check. too much to handle.

get yourself a nice UPS, these days a low end one doesnt cost much more than $100-150

And yeah parity check slows everything down.