XPEnology Community

Optiplex 7010 - Failed to Format Disk (35)

LittleScratch

Hi

I have just started a build on an optiplex 7010 i5.

I have the bios set to uefi and it booting from from the usb key which is working fine.  I can find it through the http://find.synology.com/#

When I start the process to install it says "Failed to Format Disk (35)"

The device was booting into windows previously ok.... is there something I am missing?  Keep going around in circles.... any suggestions?  I have been though the forums trying things....

It looks like it has found a drive, otherwise you would have seen message saying 'no disks in diskstation' or similar. you could try the force install option if you are sure your boot drive vid/pid are correct.

also check the sata controllers are setup ok in the bios, ie ahci and non-raid etc and maybe have a look at the sataportmap settings to match the controller.

Assuming here that you have thoroughly read @polanskiman's upgrade/install dsm6 post, which details the settings?

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me, really do appreciate it...... ok glad it is seeing the drive

Ok yeah I have done the vid/pid (for usb key), serial number for (3517xs), mac address and updated the grub.cfg before writing it to my usb key. This is what I have got:

set vid=0x08EC
set pid=0x0015
set sn=1230ODN586788
set mac1=B8CA3A8CC0DB
set rootdev=/dev/md0
set netif_num=1
set extra_args_3617=''
set common_args_3617='syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 HddHotplug=0 syno_hw_version=DS3617xs vender_format_version=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 withefi elevator=elevator quiet syno_port_thaw=1'
set sata_args='sata_uid=1 sata_pcislot=5 synoboot_satadom=1 DiskIdxMap=0C SataPortMap=1 SasIdxMap=0'

Sata is defo AHCI and non raid. Serial ports enabled (COM1).  Buuuuuut i havent changed the default settings in the grub.cfg for the sataportmap etc.... in the bios my internal drive is sata0, sata1 is the dvd drive but have disabled that for now.  So would my settings be ok?

Basically I followed this - 

I take it that's the right one?

My internal ssd has a copy of windows 10 currently installed on it but that wouldn't stop it formatting would it?  

Feeling a little stupid....

This is my PID/VID reading for the USB Key - USB\VID_08EC&PID_0015\0C51B85110309941.  So I am cool right?

I think it must be one of these settings right? - where is best to look to make sure i have the right details??

set sata_args='sata_uid=1 sata_pcislot=5 synoboot_satadom=1 DiskIdxMap=0C SataPortMap=1 SasIdxMap=0'

Edited by LittleScratch

everthing looks good, if you google your problem you will find that the offical answer from synology (faq) is to remove all partitions before the next try - so try this (i'd also expect it would just overwrite all, maybe some pre caution, if dsm is running and finds something it will ask if the disk should be used, the dsm base installer does not have that option and seems to ignore the disk?)

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/General/What_can_I_do_when_I_get_the_error_message_quot_Failed_to_format_disk_quot_when_formatting_data_partition_during_the_setup

Edited by IG-88