XPEnology Community

Packages failing to install (DSM 6.1 on Gen8)

JoTM

Hi there,

I've been running XPenology on a HP Gen8 for a few years now and have lately been running into some trouble. As my server was getting very sluggish under 5.2 a few months back, I decided to upgrade to 6.0.x. However, I accidentaly clicked the 'install' button when migrating my new setup, which installed DSM 6.1.x on Jun's 1.02b loader (this was before it was cleared for 6.1.x). I know, very stupid mistake. But my NAS booted without any real issues and seems to be working fine in most ways. Upon startup, I do get the message System internal service [pgsql] failed to start. Please contact Synology Support, although I do not know what issues this may cause. 

Now the annoying/strange part: while it installs some packages (mail server, web station, storage analyser, etc.), it will not install most of the recommended 'station' packages, like 'Download Station', 'Photo Station' and 'Media Server'. I did a reinstall of the 1.02b loader and loaded a new 6.1 version, but this does not resolve the problem.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I have been trying to find any information that can help me, but have been unsuccesful so far.

Thanks for any input/help you can provide me.

I *think* Synology are getting tougher with package installs (ie access to the package servers) with 6.x and if you dont have a valid serial/mac it will fail. For me in testing, packages previously installed under 5.2 etc and migrated to 6.x seem ok and update, but any new ones wont install. With a valid SN/Mac they do. Interestingly, once installed they are installed, later updates work with a non real mac/serial (in my testing) 

Ok, thanks for the quick reply. I previously did have a working set of SN/Mac in my setup. I am now going for a new one that is recognised by Synology as well. Only problem is I can now not seem to find a working DS3615xs SN anymore. And I also cannot seem to get a matching MAC address. Can we use other synology serials for this, or does it not recognise the serial/mac as a valid pair?

My recollection is there is a thread on the forums about generating a valid 3615xs SN, and your MAC just needs to have the right first 3 octets right, my understanding is that all Synology boxes have the same first 3 octets (MAC address is 6 octets). I used the SN gen for my 3615xs and made up the last 3 octets of my Mac and I haven't had any package install issues. OTOH I haven't installed a lot of the official Synology packages. Hmmm.

Synologys vendor mac assignment is 00-11-32 hence the first 3 octets needing to be 'correct'.  I have read that S/Ns are somehow tied to macs and also both S/Ns and macs are specific to hardware platforms/models, but people have different results.

The main thing to bear in mind is that using 'generated' S/N and macs to access synology servers is a breach of their terms so should be avoided. As I recall the generic serial/macs in the boot loader *seem* to work, so you might be able to use them to install the packages needed then swap to your own ones. In my XPE setups I use the native mac addresses of the nics and my own sequence for s/n, and pre-installed packages are ok.

I expect in future synology will get tougher with this and require real information - there will be a 'black market' for dead hardware information :smile: