Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

I had the '56%' issue a few times and found that if I edited the vid/pid for my usb but left the MAC and S/N as the 'default' in the grub, DSM installed ok . After reboot and checking I changed the MAC to the machines NIC (plus S/N to a non-Syno random string) and it worked ok.

I have no idea why this worked, on some installs, editing the MAC before install didn't cause the error.

Thanks, I will give it a shot

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

I had the '56%' issue a few times and found that if I edited the vid/pid for my usb but left the MAC and S/N as the 'default' in the grub, DSM installed ok . After reboot and checking I changed the MAC to the machines NIC (plus S/N to a non-Syno random string) and it worked ok.

I have no idea why this worked, on some installs, editing the MAC before install didn't cause the error.

Sorry, just to clarify, are you saying that editing the s/n and mac BEFORE the install (hitting 'c' right after it boots) is the way to go? Like, don't let it boot with the default settings? If that's what you mean, it is weird that it works that way.

Edited by undecided
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have searched but come up empty.  I am using an Intel dual port NIC that uses the e1000e driver successfully in a bare metal 5.2 install. I tried to use the 1.02b loader from mega that was posted here and it does not load the NIC drivers.

 

Here is what lspci -v shows regarding in 5.2:

02:00.1 Class 0200: Device 8086:105e (rev 06)
        Subsystem: Device 8086:115e
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 43
        Memory at fea80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
        Memory at fea60000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) 
        I/O ports at e880 
        Expansion ROM at fea40000 [disabled] 
        Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 2
        Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Capabilities: [e0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number 00-15-17-ff-ff-c5-ad-1a
        Kernel driver in use: e1000e

 

When I try to boot on 1.02b, it looks normal, but I cannot find the NAS with utilities and it is not pulling a DHCP address.  Do I need to explicitly call the extras?  It looks like it should work on its own.  Sorry to have to ask.

Link to post
Share on other sites

HI All,

 

Just finished upgrading from DSM 5.2 to DSM 6.1 on my DC7900 HP Tower, there are some things that need to be taken into account when proceeding:

-UEFI boot is not wokring on this machine so you need the other loader on top of the page.

-Nic card is recognized, but not stable on the build in NIC, looses ping and not reachable for some devices in the network, so a added an Intel MT1000 card which work fine.

-After updating packages all seems to work fine and sync and backup jobs even work well.

 

What does not work:

-My Sundek TV tuners are not recognized anymore, even when re-installing the drivers

-TVHEADend acting strange (keeps asking for password), first need to figure out the TVtuners

 

Rest seems to be stable and I can now use the latest packages available, docker was actyually the one i wanted to have on the latest version.

 

If someone figures out on how to get the SUNDTEK DVB-C and DVB-S tuners working, please share so I can used TVH again.

 

If you have any questions regarding the DC7900 just let me know.

 

Cheers,

Hemant

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All.

I can do clean install of 3615 - NAS visible at LAN, but can not install for 916 - NAS is not visible at LAN. I’m using loader 1.02b for both cases. Mother board with two NIC: 1) Intel I219V and 2) Realtek RTL8111H.

That is some issues with NIC drivers. Any advice? 

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need a capable cpu

1 hour ago, deloza said:

Hi All.

I can do clean install of 3615 - NAS visible at LAN, but can not install for 916 - NAS is not visible at LAN. I’m using loader 1.02b for both cases. Mother board with two NIC: 1) Intel I219V and 2) Realtek RTL8111H.

That is some issues with NIC drivers. Any advice? 

Thanks.

for 916+ image.

Core i v4 haswell at least or braswell or apollo lake

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hokaido said:

@Polanskiman: You mentioned in the tutorial on page 1: "You can then proceed and update DSM 6.1.3 up to DSM 6.1.3-15152 update 3". DSM 6.1.3-15152 update 8 is available in the meantime. Can it be updated to  15152 update 8 via web gui or manual file upload?

 

Either.

 

I just did the automated upgrade and it worked fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to add my thanks to Polanskiman and to those who have added their personal experiences by way of reassurance for those of us who don't have the knowledge to do it unaided. Your public-spirited work is appeciated.

 

If it helps others in a similar situation, I upgraded my N54L from 5.2 to 6.13  and thence to update 8 (specifically 6.1.3-15152 Update 8) without any software issues.

I disabled the C1E on the Bios before starting. (F10 on boot, bottom of screen)

The whole process was quite quick and, although I didn't need it, yes I most certainly did a backup first.

I set the MAC addresses in the boot stick setup described by Polanskiman and all my settings were retained just so.

 

I did encounter two issues, both of which are already documented here:

I needed to use  a new USB stick - I got the 'file may be corrupted' report with a usb stick that had previously been OK but a fresh Verbatim 'store'n'go' worked fine (I used USBview to read the PID/VID).

I appeared to have problems with no output to my monitor which turned out to be the Dsub on the rear of the  N54l (This happened at my first attempt to update which was momentarily alarming!)- I only mention this as I saw someone else report a similar problem so there may possibly be a weakness  with the connector on the N54L.

 

Thanks to all

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

One additional note, my system is reporting <4gb ram available but has 8gb in it.  It reported all 8gb before the upgrade, but is now only reporting something like 3.5gb, like it defaulted back to x86 from x64, but it is still showing x86_64 in the kernel (uname -a).  No biggie as I am hoping to retire this server soon (move to a VM), but thought I would report it.  Sorry for spamming up the thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2017 at 8:15 PM, hemant said:

HI All,

 

Just finished upgrading from DSM 5.2 to DSM 6.1 on my DC7900 HP Tower, there are some things that need to be taken into account when proceeding:

-UEFI boot is not wokring on this machine so you need the other loader on top of the page.

-Nic card is recognized, but not stable on the build in NIC, looses ping and not reachable for some devices in the network, so a added an Intel MT1000 card which work fine.

-After updating packages all seems to work fine and sync and backup jobs even work well.

 

What does not work:

-My Sundek TV tuners are not recognized anymore, even when re-installing the drivers

-TVHEADend acting strange (keeps asking for password), first need to figure out the TVtuners

 

Rest seems to be stable and I can now use the latest packages available, docker was actyually the one i wanted to have on the latest version.

 

If someone figures out on how to get the SUNDTEK DVB-C and DVB-S tuners working, please share so I can used TVH again.

 

If you have any questions regarding the DC7900 just let me know.

 

Cheers,

Hemant

Hi

i try to install my hp dc7800 sff but can not create the usb boot

dc7800 cannot boot with the image

can u share you experience ?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.