XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

I did some more tests and you're right - it's not case sensitive, it's all about USB port used. I have to put usb drive into USB 3.0 front port to make it fully working. Thank you. Sorry for not reading FAQ, I missed it somehow starting with reading tutorials section carefully. Now I know XPE better :)

I'm gonna try to migrate my raid drives into XPE - after backing up - and let's see if it's possible :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello community, many thanks for sharing your knowledge.

I have sucefully installed DSM into a "new" machine. Now I'm trying the same with an old laptop and I'm facing issues to dectect it from the browser. It boots perfect but I cannot find it.

I'm using Jun's Loader v1.03b DS3617xs I understand since it's the new loader it dosen't need the extra.lzma I'm right?

The laptop is an: Acer Aspire 5741G
CPU Intel Core i3 350M
HDD WD5000BEVT

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about to pull the trigger on this upgrade and had a few sanity check questions before I do so:

1. Does it matter which DS version I choose (e.g. 3615, 3617, 916+, etc)
  2. The deep link to the dsm in the original post is dead, which version of 6.1.7 is the correct on the use? -4? or the first rev?
  3. My NAS has 4 NIC (ethernet ports), and the first one is faulty. I currently use what I believe is the second one. Is my best bet to setup all 4 in the grub.cfg?

Thanks!

Nevermind my last comment, I got it up and running using the base 6.1.7...thanks for the clear instructions.

I did have one follow up question:

You can then proceed and update DSM 6.1.7 up to DSM 6.1.7 critical update 3

Can I do this within DSM (by clicking on "Manual DSM Update") Or do I have to reflash the usb?

52 minutes ago, gmoniey said:

Nevermind my last comment, I got it up and running using the base 6.1.7...thanks for the clear instructions.

I did have one follow up question:

Can I do this within DSM (by clicking on "Manual DSM Update") Or do I have to reflash the usb?

Yes you can manually update it.

I have managed to install DSM 6.2 with (ds3615x) 1.03b loader on some old hardware. 

I would like to do this again and for some reason it is not working.

I am using a Supermicro X11SCL-F with a 9100f and 16GB.

I have changed VID/PID, SN and MAC address in the grub config file.

When i boot from the USB stick (Verbatim TO GO 16GB) i am seeing the menu, but after that i am not able to find the "Synology". I have tried rebooten en using the option REINSTALL. but also no go.

I have tried UEFI/Legacy boot, Serial port is on. SSD and HDD are in AHCI mode.

Any ideas?

Edited by Operations8

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/2/2021 at 4:56 PM, Operations8 said:

I have managed to install DSM 6.2 with (ds3615x) 1.03b loader on some old hardware. 

I would like to do this again and for some reason it is not working.

I am using a Supermicro X11SCL-F with a 9100f and 16GB.

I have changed VID/PID, SN and MAC address in the grub config file.

When i boot from the USB stick (Verbatim TO GO 16GB) i am seeing the menu, but after that i am not able to find the "Synology". I have tried rebooten en using the option REINSTALL. but also no go.

I have tried UEFI/Legacy boot, Serial port is on. SSD and HDD are in AHCI mode.

Any ideas?

Try checking your new ip and open ports on router.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, 

I followed all the steps above and I was able to get to the point, that I find the NAS once. 
After installing/repairing the NAS and the following new start I am not able to find the NAS.

Any new starts or stuff like this are not helping.
Anyone had the same problem and may offer a solution?

(It's an older PC with an A10-6800K CPU, I read a few things about problems with AMD CPUs, but up to now I don't understand what to do)

3 minutes ago, asheenlevrai said:

-> Error 403

(as of 20210615)

So Synology moved things around...

Use your favourite internet search engine for Synology Download Centre...

Follow the instructions and find your NAS of choice. At the moment you end up here for DS3615xs:

https://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/download/DS3615xs#system

Now click on the link that says all downloads.

Pick the version you are looking for......

and then you are back at a list of machines <sigh>

CTRL+F to find DS3615 and there you are......

3 hours ago, DK01 said:

Hi, 

I followed all the steps above and I was able to get to the point, that I find the NAS once. 
After installing/repairing the NAS and the following new start I am not able to find the NAS.

Any new starts or stuff like this are not helping.
Anyone had the same problem and may offer a solution?

(It's an older PC with an A10-6800K CPU, I read a few things about problems with AMD CPUs, but up to now I don't understand what to do)

Start a new thread in the newbie section. Post details of the version of the loader you are using and the version of DSM you are trying to get to work.

What method did you follow to create the loader (e.g. tutorial here, YouTube video) and what changes did you make to the config.

Also supply details of the motherboard and if you can, the details of the chipset the network card is using.

20 minutes ago, billat29 said:

Start a new thread in the newbie section. Post details of the version of the loader you are using and the version of DSM you are trying to get to work.

What method did you follow to create the loader (e.g. tutorial here, YouTube video) and what changes did you make to the config.

Also supply details of the motherboard and if you can, the details of the chipset the network card is using.

Thanks, I did so. 

On 9/12/2017 at 12:59 PM, Polanskiman said:

(...)

Change mac1=0011322CA785 to mac1=[your NIC MAC address #1]. You can also add set mac2=[your NIC MAC address #2] and so on until mac4 if you have multiple NICs. However, this is not necessary.

(...)

If you have multiple NICs you can also issue mac2, mac3 and mac4 as commands. Maximum is mac4. See below:

mac2 YOUR NAS MAC2 ADDRESS
mac3 YOUR NAS MAC3 ADDRESS
mac4 YOUR NAS MAC4 ADDRESS

Why is mac4 the maximum? I mean, is it really? (Current DS from Synology can have 4 GbE ports plus a 10GbE AIC, right?)

If I have a quad-port NIC AIC in addition to the onboard GbE port, should I disable the onboard port in the BIOS?

Thanks again :)

Best,

-a-

Edited by asheenlevrai

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2017 at 12:59 PM, Polanskiman said:

Once you are done editing the grub.cfg file, save it and close your text editor. Now in OSFMount click on Dismount all & Exit.

You are now ready to burn the image to your USB drive.

5 - Now use Win32 Disk Imager to burn the image file onto the USB drive. This will also make the USB drive bootable.

Hi :)

I found out the USB key needs to be MBR. If it's GPT, then burning the image with Win32 Disk Imager fails

Best,

-a-

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hi, I followed the whole procedure, I can find the diskstation with find.synology.com I reach the point where to install the .pat file I give it the correct file, it reaches 9% and it stops saying "installation failed, file probably damaged" Solutions?

I try a lot of .pat file but always the same error.

VID and PID are correct. Serial number generate correctly and mac adress 1 and 2 correct

xpenology.thumb.jpg.0ce18bced604411ea2e13270adad1222.jpg

Thanks

Edited by punkers

On 8/20/2021 at 11:12 PM, punkers said:

hi, I followed the whole procedure, I can find the diskstation with find.synology.com I reach the point where to install the .pat file I give it the correct file, it reaches 9% and it stops saying "installation failed, file probably damaged" Solutions?

I try a lot of .pat file but always the same error.

VID and PID are correct. Serial number generate correctly and mac adress 1 and 2 correct

xpenology.thumb.jpg.0ce18bced604411ea2e13270adad1222.jpg

Thanks

Solved using rufus to create bootable usb.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi there,  

I'm doing a fresh install of DS3615. 

I modified the grub.cfg with the PID/VID & MAC, wrote to the USB stick, inserted the stick into my NAS and was able to find my NAS via http://find.synology.com/.  

http://find.synology.com/ did it's initial install, then it said it would reboot the NAS (could take up to 10mins).  But after that it won't find the NAS anymore.  When I look at the NAS it's in a reboot loop, loads grub, gets up to booting the kernel, then after a couple of minutes reboots on it's own.  

I thought I would try to reflash the usb stick again with the image, browsed to http://find.synology.com/ again and this time it says it can recover my NAS.  So I tried that, again it said it was going to reboot the device, then it's no longer able to find it. 

same as above. Initially managed to find but after reboot nothing. Tried reinstall option and not finding anything. I'll now try to reflash the usb and try again. 

On initial page, is it install or manual install? I chose install and never got option for pat file.

Edit: managed to get reinstall option using this method but now seeing failed to format disk using manual install. Deleting partition on HD as it's a new install.

Edited by ghostivv