Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)


Recommended Posts

i'm running 5.2 with a lot of data on my 12 tb disc station.

 

i am terrified to do an update if it will mess up my data.

 

since i started a bare metal 5.2, i wasnt afraid at that time.

 

i did install the bare metal 6.1 on a different pc, with succes.

 

who gives me the little tab on the back, that the update wont crash my existing data?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bouke79 said:

i'm running 5.2 with a lot of data on my 12 tb disc station.

 

i am terrified to do an update if it will mess up my data.

 

since i started a bare metal 5.2, i wasnt afraid at that time.

 

i did install the bare metal 6.1 on a different pc, with succes.

 

who gives me the little tab on the back, that the update wont crash my existing data?

 

Impossible to advise with no information on your hardware. Have you read the OP in that regard?

 

On 9/12/2017 at 5:59 PM, Polanskiman said:

10 - You are done. If you have questions, first search the forum and/or Google then leave a comment if nothing helps. Please provide your hardware specifications (motherboard model, LAN controller, driver controller etc). Failure to prove such information will lead to the post being deleted or not answered.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi.

 

In order to familiarize myself with DSM, I got the DS3617sx bootloader working on an old Dell e6420 laptop without issues. I just cannot get the ds916+ bootloader to work on that same laptop.

 

The laptop CPU is a Intel I5-2520M. 

 

I'm planning on putting together a custom-built NAS with the following specs:

Mobo: ASRock Z370M-ITX/AC

CPU: Intel Core i5-8400

RAM: 4GB HyperX Kingston Technology FURY 2400MHz DDR4

PSU: SilverStone 450W 80 Plus Gold Modular SFX

3 x 4TB WD Red HDD's in RAID 5 configuration

 

As far as I understand, I want the ds916+ bootloader since it utilizes built-in CPU support for hardware transcoding (I'll be using the NAS as a Plex server amongst other things)

 

Is there a reason why I cannot get ds916+ to work on the laptop and should I worry about it before attempting the custom-built NAS?

 

Cheers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gerhardt said:

Hi.

 

In order to familiarize myself with DSM, I got the DS3617sx bootloader working on an old Dell e6420 laptop without issues. I just cannot get the ds916+ bootloader to work on that same laptop.

 

The laptop CPU is a Intel I5-2520M. 

 

I'm planning on putting together a custom-built NAS with the following specs:

Mobo: ASRock Z370M-ITX/AC

CPU: Intel Core i5-8400

RAM: 4GB HyperX Kingston Technology FURY 2400MHz DDR4

PSU: SilverStone 450W 80 Plus Gold Modular SFX

3 x 4TB WD Red HDD's in RAID 5 configuration

 

As far as I understand, I want the ds916+ bootloader since it utilizes built-in CPU support for hardware transcoding (I'll be using the NAS as a Plex server amongst other things)

 

Is there a reason why I cannot get ds916+ to work on the laptop and should I worry about it before attempting the custom-built NAS?

 

Cheers.

 

I recommend reading this:

and  this: 

 

I also do recommend you using DS3615xs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

I've done a fresh install using DS3615xs on my HP N54L using Jun's Loader V1.02b (grub file edit has been done -vid/pid/sn/mac), the only issue now is when I run Synology Assistant my hardware isn't being detected. The N54L is currently connected through my network card. Also, I've disabled C1E in my BIOS and disabled my firewall. I've attached my grub file for refernce, any help would be much appreciated.

jeimuzu-grub.cfg

Edited by jeimuzu
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jeimuzu said:

Hi all,

 

I've done a fresh install using DS3615xs on my HP N54L using Jun's Loader V1.02b (grub file edit has been done -vid/pid/sn/mac), the only issue now is when I run Synology Assistant my hardware isn't being detected. The N54L is currently connected through my network card. Also, I've disabled C1E in my BIOS and disabled my firewall. I've attached my grub file for refernce, any help would be much appreciated.

jeimuzu-grub.cfg

In your grub file the AMD bare metal version menuentry is commented out so it's not surprising it won't boot. I would recommend resolving this & removing the other menuentrys then trying again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Dfds said:

In your grub file the AMD bare metal version menuentry is commented out so it's not surprising it won't boot. I would recommend resolving this & removing the other menuentrys then trying again.

 

This is intended. His issue seems to be with network detection.

 

@jeimuzu What is your NIC?

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

 

This is intended. His issue seems to be with network detection.

 

@jeimuzu What is your NIC?

 

Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20). I'm currently just going through the extra.lzma ramdisk. section in the tutorial to see if I can find anymore answers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jeimuzu said:

 

Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20). I'm currently just going through the extra.lzma ramdisk. section in the tutorial to see if I can find anymore answers.

Is there any particular reason for using this nic, as the N54's inbuilt nic works fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dfds said:

Is there any particular reason for using this nic, as the N54's inbuilt nic works fine.

 

My apologies. I am currently using the N54's NIC to connect to my laptop (which is using the Atheros NIC).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jeimuzu said:

 

My apologies. I am currently using the N54's NIC to connect to my laptop (which is using the Atheros NIC).

 

 

Don't you have a local network or a switch/routeur where you could connect both your laptop and the box? That way you would be able to use your N54's NIC to install DSM.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

 

Don't you have a local network or a switch/routeur where you could connect both your laptop and the box? That way you would be able to use your N54's NIC to install DSM.

 

Update. Finally got this up and running using v1.02a2 with DSM_DS3617xs_15101. I'm quite new to the GUI but so far so good. Thanks for all the help :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I used the tut of Polanskiman first page of this Topic.

 

I was able to boot and install:

DS3615xs_DSM6.1_JunsMod_V1.02b_MBR_Genesys.img > DSM_DS3615xs_15217.pat

DS3617xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b (MBR_Genesys) > DSM_DS3617xs_15217.pat

 

I finally want to boot and install:

DS916p 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.img (MBR_Genesys).img > DSM_DS916+_15217.pat

However, the boot stranded here:

00:00:12.093863 PIIX3 ATA: Ctl#0: RESET, DevSel=0 AIOIf=0 CmdIf0=0x30 (-1 usec ago) CmdIf1=0xec (-1 usec ago)
00:00:12.093900 PIIX3 ATA: Ctl#0: finished processing RESET
00:00:16.858121 PIT: mode=2 count=0x4a9 (1193) - 1000.15 Hz (ch=0)
00:00:17.076030 PIT: mode=0 count=0x10000 (65536) - 18.20 Hz (ch=0)

Comment: After the above it stops booting up.

When I look in the log of DS3615xs, I can see:

00:10:09.683037 PIIX3 ATA: Ctl#1: RESET, DevSel=0 AIOIf=0 CmdIf0=0xec (-1 usec ago) CmdIf1=0x00 (-1 usec ago)
00:10:09.683358 PIIX3 ATA: Ctl#1: finished processing RESET
00:11:08.817030 NAT: Link up
00:11:10.457713 NAT: IPv6 not supported
00:11:14.575733 NAT: DHCP offered IP address 10.0.2.15
00:11:14.576211 NAT: DHCP offered IP address 10.0.2.15
00:11:58.592918 GUI: UIMediumEnumerator: Medium-enumeration finished!

Comment: and is working.

I'm using Oracle VM using mapping USB Drive to usb.vmdk

VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename "E:\Users\Birdy\VirtualBox VMs\DS916p\usb.vmdk" -rawdisk \\.\PhysicalDrive2

That's working, otherwise I was not able to boot up initially ;)  

 

Any idea why DS3615xs and DS3617xs are woking and DS916+ is not working, using the same procedures ?

 

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I managed to get 1.02b and 6.1.4 working well on a HP N36L microserver.

I needed to use a supported NIC but otherwise it went smoothly, thanks to the developers!

 

The only thing I've found is that there is no option for SHR or SHR2 when building an array.

I just get the options for RAID 0,1,5,6 etc.

 

Is there anything that needs to be modified in grub to allow SHR to be used?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moredhel said:

Hi, I managed to get 1.02b and 6.1.4 working well on a HP N36L microserver.

I needed to use a supported NIC but otherwise it went smoothly, thanks to the developers!

 

The only thing I've found is that there is no option for SHR or SHR2 when building an array.

I just get the options for RAID 0,1,5,6 etc.

 

Is there anything that needs to be modified in grub to allow SHR to be used?

A quick search of the forums would have yielded the answer 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have got a Gigabyte Ga 73 pvm board with a core duo 6300 which performed beatiful under 5.2 it is now running 6.1.4 . I am not sure if I neede Izras disk but included it. Had to use Angry IP to find it, once I put IP back it was discoverable in Synology assistant. Works like a charm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2018 at 8:17 AM, Moredhel said:

Hi, I managed to get 1.02b and 6.1.4 working well on a HP N36L microserver.

I needed to use a supported NIC but otherwise it went smoothly, thanks to the developers!

 

The only thing I've found is that there is no option for SHR or SHR2 when building an array.

I just get the options for RAID 0,1,5,6 etc.

 

Is there anything that needs to be modified in grub to allow SHR to be used?

 

Did the onboard NIC not work?

 

I've got one running 5.2 which keeps having issues with the volume, so contemplating updating it to 6.1 at the same time as fixing that issue.

 

EDIT: Being an idiot, its actually an N54l :D. But i'll leave the question up for the benefit of anyone with an N36l

Edited by gb77
wrong server
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

 

Yesterday i did a test on my AMD system i have running for about 4 years now.

I confirm that this hardware is fully support with a fresh install i did yesterday conform to the tutorial with Jun's Loader 1.02b.

I tought this information may be handy as the board is still for sale and performs quite well ;-)

Tonight i will migrate my production system and will post the outcome.

 

 

changes values:

PID/VID of the usb drive in the grub.cfg

Serialnumber change in grub.cfg

Mac adress change in grub.cfg

 

Motherboard MSI A88XI chipset AMD® A88X

Processor: AMD FM2

Memory: 4GB ECC

Harddrives: 3 X 3TB WD Red

Power Supply: 400 W 

Networkcard: Realtek® 8111G Gigabit LAN controller

 

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/A88XI-AC/Overview

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

 

I'm trying to get a new installation working.

I followed the guide and made changes to grub.cfg and switched out the extra.lzma for the custom version.

 

I can boot jun's loader v1.02b (all 3 of them), however Synology assistant doesn't seem to find the setup.

I've checked my router and no ip address seems to be assigned to the mac of the NIC.

The nics should be supported with the extra.lzma (intel X553)

 

I'm using following setup:

motherboard: supermicro a2sdi-4c-hln4f

processor: onboard (Intel® Atom™ Processor C3558)

Memory : 16GB ECC

Network: onboard (Quad LAN with Intel® C3000 SoC 1GbE)

 

Can you guys help me?

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Infray said:

Hi

 

I'm trying to get a new installation working.

I followed the guide and made changes to grub.cfg and switched out the extra.lzma for the custom version.

 

I can boot jun's loader v1.02b (all 3 of them), however Synology assistant doesn't seem to find the setup.

I've checked my router and no ip address seems to be assigned to the mac of the NIC.

The nics should be supported with the extra.lzma (intel X553)

 

I'm using following setup:

motherboard: supermicro a2sdi-4c-hln4f

processor: onboard (Intel® Atom™ Processor C3558)

Memory : 16GB ECC

Network: onboard (Quad LAN with Intel® C3000 SoC 1GbE)

 

Can you guys help me?

Thanks

try an ubuntu live boot and  identify the pci devices to cross check the exact drivers the nic is using vs the extra.lzma

also try a serial console connection to check the boot log and see if there are any kernel panics/driver issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello again Guys,

 

As promised i did the update from 6.02 to 6.1.7 on my baremetal system which is successfull !

 

hardware compatible for this release concerning AMD

 

changes values:

PID/VID of the usb drive in the grub.cfg

Serialnumber change in grub.cfg

Mac adress change in grub.cfg

 

Motherboard MSI A88XI chipset AMD® A88X

Processor: AMD FM2

Memory: 4GB ECC

Harddrives: 3 X 3TB WD Red

Power Supply: 400 W 

Networkcard: Realtek® 8111G Gigabit LAN controller

 

Updated to 6.1 first and updated to 6.1.7 using the syno update function in the browser.

 

grtz

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

try an ubuntu live boot and  identify the pci devices to cross check the exact drivers the nic is using vs the extra.lzma

also try a serial console connection to check the boot log and see if there are any kernel panics/driver issues.

 

lspci shows ixgbe on the ubuntu live cd, which is included in the list.

 

Still trying to figure out how to get the Serial over Lan to work.

I'll keep you posted.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.