Polanskiman

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

Recommended Posts

Thanks for the response, I found my issue.  The OP links to the boot loaders with a main and mirror.  The main link points to v1.01 instead of 1.02b so I've been using the wrong boot loader.  It's detecting fine now.

 

 

reading the specs

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P8H61I_R20/specifications/

 

4 x sata intel chipset, all seem to be identical

nic: Realtek® 8111F

 

manual talks about ide and ahci mode so check for bios settings (all 4 ports to ahci mode) and for bios updates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

56 minutes ago, setzer715 said:

Thanks for the response, I found my issue.  The OP links to the boot loaders with a main and mirror.  The main link points to v1.01 instead of 1.02b so I've been using the wrong boot loader.  It's detecting fine now.

 

 

reading the specs

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P8H61I_R20/specifications/

 

4 x sata intel chipset, all seem to be identical

nic: Realtek® 8111F

 

manual talks about ide and ahci mode so check for bios settings (all 4 ports to ahci mode) and for bios updates

 

I have double checked the links and they both link to the complete set of loaders. I will however update the source link so that it points straight to v1.02b.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Polanskiman said:

 

 

I have double checked the links and they both link to the complete set of loaders. I will however update the source link so that it points straight to v1.02b.

 

Strange, maybe I poked around in the folders and downloaded the wrong file.  It can be tough to concentrate with a toddler in your ear.  Thanks for putting this together, up and running on 6.1.3 now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been running 6.1.3 on a bare metal Desktop AMD computer for a couple of months. I have decided to move the file system over to a R510. When i load the 3tb drives in the raid controller its only sees them as 2tb. Im assuming this is due to out of date firmware on the  Perc i/6. can some one confirm this, move in the right direction on how to and what to update this with? Finally, Im hoping to move the file-system over and setting from previous computer without starting over. IS this possible and how do i go about doing that. Thanks for any help !! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2017 at 10:25 AM, AMeggs said:

I have been running 6.1.3 on a bare metal Desktop AMD computer for a couple of months. I have decided to move the file system over to a R510. When i load the 3tb drives in the raid controller its only sees them as 2tb. Im assuming this is due to out of date firmware on the  Perc i/6. can some one confirm this, move in the right direction on how to and what to update this with? Finally, Im hoping to move the file-system over and setting from previous computer without starting over. IS this possible and how do i go about doing that. Thanks for any help !! 

 

This can be a number of things, some are not easily fixed. HBA, SATA/SAS Backplane, port multiplier, OS.

The 6/i looks to be a bad choice for xpenology for two reasons, no IT mode firmware and no support for over 2TB disks.

if you are sure you don't have a backplane limitation, this might be as easy to fix as purchasing a replacement SAS/SATA HBA.

 

There are other forums that are more suited to server grade parts in the home lab you might try there for specific advice.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

Review on this Hardware :

ASRock AM1B-ITX

AMD Athlon 5350 (2.05 GHz)

2*2Go Memory

 

I used 3617xs firmware, updated to  6.1.3-15152 Update 8. (wihtout any tricks)

 

After the installation I realized that it is an "Alpha" version but all services i tried worked fine

- Download Station

- Cloud Sync

- VPN Server

- External Acces registered on Synology DNS

 

It's a new installation, next step is the migration from DSM5 on the same hardware.

 

I will stay 1 or 2 weeks on this build before trying the migration.

 

Bye ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

N54L any problem upgrade from DSM5.2 to 6.1.x?

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jianwei said:

N54L any problem upgrade from DSM5.2 to 6.1.x?

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Not as long as you follow the correct procedure i.e. use jun's 1.02b loader, set vid, pid & disable C1E support in the bios. I'd also advise having a backup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

 

I've been running 6.0.2 since January on a HP Microserver Gen8 Baremetal, but would like to update to 6.1, of course without data loss.

 

Should I just make a new bootable USB with Jun 1.02b loader and boot up from it? Did anybody do this before? Will all modifications still be working?

 

Thanks a lot for your reply, I've read throughout the forum, but couldn't find the answer to my question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dasupergrover said:

Hello,

 

I've been running 6.0.2 since January on a HP Microserver Gen8 Baremetal, but would like to update to 6.1, of course without data loss.

 

Should I just make a new bootable USB with Jun 1.02b loader and boot up from it? Did anybody do this before? Will all modifications still be working?

 

Thanks a lot for your reply, I've read throughout the forum, but couldn't find the answer to my question

 

Actually the answer is in this tutorial. The very first paragraph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not as long as you follow the correct procedure i.e. use jun's 1.02b loader, set vid, pid & disable C1E support in the bios. I'd also advise having a backup.


May I know how to backup my data?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jianwei said:

 


May I know how to backup my data?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

You will need an external USB disk drive with the capacity to copy your data - install the Hyperbackup package and use the backup wizard to copy your files. You could also use a cloud system, eg Amazon Drive, but it will take a long time to backup depending on your internet speed and how much data you have

You should have a backup system, not just for upgrades, SHR Raid is not a backup - its data protection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got this to work, thank you!!

Allthough I think I used "append SataPortMap" wrong. I have two SATA2 ports and two SATA3 ports where two drives are connected to the SATA3 and one connected to SATA2. I though that it would mean that I have two controllers and tried with append SataPortMap=21, but I just find two harddrives in DSM. Could it be that I should use append SataPortMap=3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nick said:

Finally got this to work, thank you!!

Allthough I think I used "append SataPortMap" wrong. I have two SATA2 ports and two SATA3 ports where two drives are connected to the SATA3 and one connected to SATA2. I though that it would mean that I have two controllers and tried with append SataPortMap=21, but I just find two harddrives in DSM. Could it be that I should use append SataPortMap=3?

Have you tried just leaving sataportmap as default i.e. 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dfds said:

Have you tried just leaving sataportmap as default i.e. 1

Well, I tried not changing the sataportmap with the 6.0 tutorial but would then end up at the "We've detected errors on the hard drives" message and had to try the Force install. Since this option doesn't exist in the 6.1 loader I decided to try changing sataportmap right off the bat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nick said:

Well, I tried not changing the sataportmap with the 6.0 tutorial but would then end up at the "We've detected errors on the hard drives" message and had to try the Force install. Since this option doesn't exist in the 6.1 loader I decided to try changing sataportmap right off the bat.

Ok, what hardware are you using? was it a fresh install or did you migrate from another version of DSM?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dfds said:

Ok, what hardware are you using? was it a fresh install or did you migrate from another version of DSM?

It's a fresh install and I'm using an Asus H81I-Plus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Nick said:

It's a fresh install and I'm using an Asus H81I-Plus. 

Have a look at this thread, seems someone else had the same issues

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dfds said:

Have a look at this thread, seems someone else had the same issues

 

Thanks! I will give it a read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You will need an external USB disk drive with the capacity to copy your data - install the Hyperbackup package and use the backup wizard to copy your files. You could also use a cloud system, eg Amazon Drive, but it will take a long time to backup depending on your internet speed and how much data you have
You should have a backup system, not just for upgrades, SHR Raid is not a backup - its data protection 


But I do have 10TB+ data, impossible to buy another 10TB HDD for backup am I?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jianwei said:

 


But I do have 10TB+ data, impossible to buy another 10TB HDD for backup am I?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

If your data is important/valuable then you should have a backup, not just for upgrades.

If you cannot use an external HDD, you could look at using the Synology Cloud Sync package or one of the Synology backup packages to cloud services. Synology Cloud Sync can backup to Amazon Cloud and Amazon does a free unlimited trial for 30 days so you might be able to use that :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys, I have a problem, I am trying to update an existing 5.2 system. I unplugged all the existing drives and just plugged in a spare drive just to test the hardware. I followed the guide with the VID/PID and MAC address changes. I booted from USB fine, used the browser to update the .pat (using DSM_DS3615xs_15152.pat) and it uploads it and then at around 56% progress a red 'Unknown exception' message' shows up and installation halts.

The MB is a

ECS NM70-I2 (V1.0) Intel Celeron 1037U 1.80GHz Intel NM70

I have an extra SATA Controller (IO Crest 4 Port SATA III PCI-e 2.0 x1 Controller Card Marvell Non-Raid with Low Profile Bracket SI-PEX40064) plugged in and I saw that a user said it worked out of the box for them. 

Any ideas on how to proceed?

 

Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2017 at 3:27 PM, dotslash said:

Works on my HP microserver GEN8

 

EXACTLY WHAT loader and dsm package did you use ? I would like to upgrade asap(HP gen8)  but this looks more complicated than moving from 4.x to 5.2.

Did you follow the tutorial and did you notice any quirks/problems ?

thanks in advance ,

Edited by kATABATIC
hardware info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, undecided said:

Hi guys, I have a problem, I am trying to update an existing 5.2 system. I unplugged all the existing drives and just plugged in a spare drive just to test the hardware. I followed the guide with the VID/PID and MAC address changes. I booted from USB fine, used the browser to update the .pat (using DSM_DS3615xs_15152.pat) and it uploads it and then at around 56% progress a red 'Unknown exception' message' shows up and installation halts.

The MB is a

ECS NM70-I2 (V1.0) Intel Celeron 1037U 1.80GHz Intel NM70

I have an extra SATA Controller (IO Crest 4 Port SATA III PCI-e 2.0 x1 Controller Card Marvell Non-Raid with Low Profile Bracket SI-PEX40064) plugged in and I saw that a user said it worked out of the box for them. 

Any ideas on how to proceed?

 

Thanks in advance.

I had the '56%' issue a few times and found that if I edited the vid/pid for my usb but left the MAC and S/N as the 'default' in the grub, DSM installed ok . After reboot and checking I changed the MAC to the machines NIC (plus S/N to a non-Syno random string) and it worked ok.

I have no idea why this worked, on some installs, editing the MAC before install didn't cause the error.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys.

I have a good working station as DS 3615 under DSM 6.1.3 (7).

Is it any options for shifting on DS 916 with out clean install?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now