XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

On 9/25/2017 at 5:04 PM, Exxtreme said:

Hi guys!

I'm currently running DSM 6.0.2-8451 (DS3615xs) on my HP Microserver Gen8...

Which would be the right approach for me to update to the latest version?

Thanks in advance :smile:

I searched the forum:

For future reference I have added the link in the top paragraph of the OP. 

Thanks a lot for the tutorial, the boot scripts and all the work done, guys!

I've just upgraded from 5.2-5644-5 to 6.1.3 with no issues except one package: MediaWiki.

Several times I've tried to automatically restore MediaWiki (from the Package Manager) with different issues: old PHP version, error migration from MariaDB 5 to MariaDB 10 DB, etc. At one moment my web/MediaWiki folder just disappeared :( and Package Manager stopped to detect MediaWiki package as installed; MariaDB 5 DB was renamed to *_backup_dWpo3, MariaDB 10 DB was created with the old DB name and new (same as DB name) user without version upgrade. I've installed the MediaWiki package again, but MediaWiki has responded with blank white screen. Then I had to remove (backup) MediaWiki's LocalSettings.php file in order to start clear initialization using the internal Wiki installation script. That was the right way because after that my DB was upgraded to the latest Wiki version. Then I had to combine settings from both LocalSettings.php files (old & new ones). And at last MediaWiki package has started properly as expected. ;)

I just wanna warn all guys with a lot installed packages: you should think many times before 5.2→6.1 migration… probably the best migration would be 5.2→6.0→6.1

Best regards to everybody!

7 hours ago, Arabezar said:

I've just upgraded from 5.2-5644-5 to 6.1.3 with no issues except one package: MediaWiki.

I just wanna warn all guys with a lot installed packages: you should think many times before 5.2→6.1 migration… probably the best migration would be 5.2→6.0→6.1

I don't think that upgrading from 5.2→6.0→6.1 would have changed your issue. Most probably it's a problem relating to the compatibility of MediaWiki with 6.x. MediaWiki in the package center is at version 1.28.2 which is already a legacy version. It might be that Synology did not update that package for 6.x

My personal experience with XPEnology is that when going from one major release of DSM to another it is best to do a fresh install and install packages from scratch and reconfigure everything again but I did this tutorial for those who prefer the upgrade route. Unfortunately the upgrade route nearly always comes with issues.

2 hours ago, repulse said:

Hi folks,

Running from ESXI on an HPE Microserver Gen8 xith Xeon-E3 processor, what bootloader should i choose : DS3615xs, DS3617xs, ou DS916+ ? And why ?

You could use either DS3615xs or DS3617xs. Lately I have seen 2 or 3 reports of some people having issues updating to update 4/5 with DS3617xs but I am unsure wether that's a localised problem or an issue with the update/loader (DS3617xs). I would recommend you use DS3615xs for now.

• Like 1

Upgraded 3 Xpenologys.

2 DSM v5.2 (5565) XPEnoboot (XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5565.2) running on ESXi v6.0 on HP Microserver Gen 8 with Intel Core i3-3240 - Juns loader v1.02b DS3615xs. Just changed serial, MAC and timeout in grub.cfg

1 DSM v5.2 (5565) XPEnoboot (XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5565.2) running bare-metal on HP Microserver N54L - Juns loader v1.02b DS3615xs. Just changed serial, MAC, VID, PID and timeout in grub.cfg.

All upgraded from webpage (ip-adr-on-nas:5000). All went smooth.

A few pakages needed upgrade after upgrading DSM to v6.1.3, but after that all is running.

A note to others - ran into the problem, that upgrade stopped at 56% on my bare-metal server and returned to install page with error 13. Tried rewriting the USB stick several times, but same problem. Then  tried another USB stick - problem solved. :grin:

12 hours ago, Zarocq said:

2 DSM v5.2 (5565) XPEnoboot (XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5565.2) running on ESXi v6.0 on HP Microserver Gen 8 with Intel Core i3-3240 - Juns loader v1.02b DS3615xs. Just changed serial, MAC and timeout in grub.cfg

What process did you follow to install ? I've already a 5.2 DSM virtual machine without USB, how could i update it to latest version ?

On 9/30/2017 at 8:16 PM, Polanskiman said:

it is best to do a fresh install and install packages from scratch and reconfigure everything again but I did this tutorial for those who prefer the upgrade route. Unfortunately the upgrade route nearly always comes with issues.

Well then, how about a tutorial for fresh from scratch install? I have tried your upgrade tutorial for the past 2 days and it fails everytime. I have no problems using XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5 and DSM_DS3615xs_5644. It works everytime with no issues.

I use a bare-metal install. I have 4 Xpenology boxes and all have been working fine with no issues for over a year now. I built a new box using a INWIN IW-MS04 mITX NAS case, AsRock H97M-ITX/ac mother board. 16GB ram and an Intel i5-4440.

you could describe where the installtion fails and on what systems (you talk about 4 +1 new)

as for the new systemboard

for storage set ahci mode in bios (not raid)
LAN chip is Qualcomm Atheros AR8171 -> alx.ko, that driver ist part of the default 1.02b loader

7 hours ago, Kalarah said:
Well then, how about a tutorial for fresh from scratch install? I have tried your upgrade tutorial for the past 2 days and it fails everytime. I have no problems using XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5 and DSM_DS3615xs_5644. It works everytime with no issues.   I use a bare-metal install. I have 4 Xpenology boxes and all have been working fine with no issues for over a year now. I built a new box using a INWIN IW-MS04 mITX NAS case, AsRock H97M-ITX/ac mother board. 16GB ram and an Intel i5-4440.

So you just created an account about 6 hours ago and your first post sounds very much like a demand. You clearly have not made the effort of reading thoroughly (or even reading the topic title). If you had read everything, you would have: 

1 - understood that the tutorial is in fact applicable for both fresh installs and upgrades. It's mentioned since the very beginning. I quote:

On 9/12/2017 at 5:59 PM, Polanskiman said:
If you are currently using DSM 5.1 or below first update to DSM 5.2. If you are doing a fresh install of DSM 6.1 then carry on with the tutorial and omit references to DSM 5.2.

The only real difference lays at the very last part when one accesses DSM through find.synology.com or through Synology Assistant and is requested to either install fresh or migrate.

2 - provided your hardware configuration. I quote:

10 - You are done. If you have questions, first search the forum and/or Google then leave a comment if nothing helps. Please provide your hardware specifications (motherboard model, LAN controller, driver controller etc). Failure to prove such information will lead to the post being deleted. Click the 'Like this' button if you liked the tutorial.

It is unclear which hardware you are trying to upgrade (the machine you mentioned or the other 4?). Please be more precise.

Also, it is not the tutorial that fails but either one of two things:

1 - the loader does not contain the module required and therefore is not detecting your hardware and I quote again:

Note 1: If after following the tutorial you can’t find your NAS through http://find.synology.com ou Synology Assistant it is highly possible that the drivers of your NIC are not included in the ramdisk of the loader. Make an effort and use Google to know what modules your NIC and HDD controller are using, then check if those modules are included in the custom extra.lzma ramdisk. If yes then use the custom ramdisk. Don't ask me to look for you. If nothing works then ask your question.

2 - you are doing something wrong like for example not configuring your bios properly

On 02/10/2017 at 9:17 PM, Zarocq said:

Upgraded 3 Xpenologys.

1 DSM v5.2 (5565) XPEnoboot (XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5565.2) running bare-metal on HP Microserver N54L - Juns loader v1.02b DS3615xs. Just changed serial, MAC, VID, PID and timeout in grub.cfg.

All upgraded from webpage (ip-adr-on-nas:5000). All went smooth.

A few pakages needed upgrade after upgrading DSM to v6.1.3, but after that all is running.

A note to others - ran into the problem, that upgrade stopped at 56% on my bare-metal server and returned to install page with error 13. Tried rewriting the USB stick several times, but same problem. Then  tried another USB stick - problem solved. :grin:

23 hours ago, repulse said:

What process did you follow to install ? I've already a 5.2 DSM virtual machine without USB, how could i update it to latest version ?

Finally it's ok, i did a fresh install following this guide, everything went smooth. Working great with 6.1.

Perfect !

Edited by repulse
  • Like 1

On 02.10.2017 at 10:17 PM, Zarocq said:

Same behavior. In the past I utilized one USB stick (from the first XPenology till 5.2). But 6.1.3 installation failed with error 13. I double checked the PID & VID but had no positive result... Only USB stick replacement makes sence (as it was described in tutorial).

I installed 6.1.3 and update after to V6 with load 1.2b, all good, and after a day of clean installing at 7-8 PM the webgui stop working showing: Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found.

I log in on root and i saw in /var/log/nginx/error.log

2017/10/10 21:10:17 [crit] 10664#10664: *1 connect() to unix:/run/synoscgi.sock failed (2: No such file or directory) while connecting to upstream, client: 192.168.11.48, server: _, request: "GET / HTTP/1.1", upstream: "scgi://unix:/run/synoscgi.sock:", host: "192.168.11.56:5000"

The socket is not here because the synoscgi can't start because of this error error while loading shared libraries:

/lib/libsynoshare.so.6: invalid ELF header

Hardware specs:

HP Microserver Gen8 

CPU: G2020T

RAM: 16 GB

Virtualized: ESXI 6.0

Any ideeas?

Edited by Centos

I had 6.1.3 running with no issues.  Recently needed the USB drive in a pinch.  I copied the drive to my computer.  Is there an easy way to recreate the bootable drive?  I was thinking create an iso from the backed up data then create the bootable drive with that iso.  When backing up I just did a copy paste in Windows Explorer of the whole drive.

Thanks!  Not sure if this is new post worthy

On 9/23/2017 at 2:14 PM, jeannotmer said:

Hello thanks for this new tuto 

I'm on HP proliant microserver gen 8

i have tried few week ago to migrate from 5.2 to 6.0

but i had an issue

I retest today with this new tuto and loader  but i'm still have the same issue

Synoassistant or url find syno find my server but they ask me to install and not to migrate

With this messsage

Capture.PNG.201ff2063275924b1462003b25187698.PNG

I have 2 Ethernet port and 2 mac adresse i have try on both and i have the same message !!

Someone can help me ?

This is a bit of troubleshooting, but also related to this tutorial so I am hoping that this will be the best place to post my question.

Hardware is as follows:

Fractal Node 804

4x WD Red 2TB

AsRock mobo (will edit when I am home with exact model)

Intel celeron processor

I tried to access my Xpenology box last night and saw the same screen as jeannotmer, however, I have not updated anything for a long while. I always let it download security updates, but not automatically install them.

The only difference between what I saw and what jearnnotmer had was my firmware was 5.2-5644 and it wanted me to install a newer version of 5.2, so I clicked install (this small version upgrade seemed like a reasonable thing at the time). Seemed to install fine, but never rebooted back to the DSM login screen. 

So I attached an ethernet straight to the box and went back to the Synology installer webpage, and now saw that my firmware was 5.2-5644 and my DSM version is now 6.1-15152. I am extremely unclear exactly how it made this jump, or what I did to cause this to happen.

When I attach the monitor, I launch into the old XPEnoboot and when it tries to load the firmware, I see that tons of the files are missing and the system never powers up.

So now my question is, should I just make the attempt to update the boot drive to by 6.1 in order to bring everything up to date? And if I do, does anyone have any idea if anything on the drives will still be there. (I haven't made a full update in ages because I did not plan on updating. Really important stuff is backed up on google drive through cloud sync.) Or might it be better to attempt to downgrade the DSM back to a version XPEnoboot can boot and see what is salvageable that way?

Thank you for any help! 

just use a usb flash drive you can spare and install jun loader 1.02b, edit the vid/pid of the usb stick in grub and mac address (-> tutorial in the beginnig of the thread) and try it, if 6.1 is already installed it doesnt change much if you try

if you give more information like board, storage controller and nic (only when onboard is not used) then we might predivt if it will work (as bootloader for 6.1 does not contain as many drivers as it was for 5.2)

I was able to install the jun loader successfully.

Looks like a bad drive caused the failure. Unclear why it booted me out of the system totally. I need to get a new 4th drive (looks like I can still do an RMA on this WD one) so I am copying files off now and then will shut down totally until I can do that.

Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having an issue installing 6 on a repurposed system.  I cannot get the disks to detect properly.  My motherboard is ASUS P8H61-I R2.0 with i5-2500 and 8GB ram.  Mobo has 4 sata ports.  All documentation point to one controller.  If I use 4 for my sata port map it gives me an error on disks 3,4.

I decided to try to install 5.2 and it detects disks 1,2,5,6.  Going back to version 6 I input sata port map 6 and same error.  I've also tried 22 in case it was 2 controllers.  No joy.

I may just have to stick with 5.2 but would like to run 6.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.