Polanskiman

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

On 12/23/2017 at 6:43 PM, SyncGuy said:

Alright... Thank you so much! I will mull over it for a few days and will decide if I should just go ahead with the change from DS3615xs to DS916+ for the DSM 6.1.4.....

*gulps*

Or just stick with DS3615xs for the upgrade.

Will report back my decision and if it goes smoothly....

SyncGuy:

Awaiting your decision and the outcome.  I am running the same board as you (ASRock N3150-ITX) and was considering the jump to v6.1.4 and a move to the DS916+ .pat, moving off of the DS3615xs .pat I have been on since the build.

Do tell-- what did you decide and what was your final outcome?

Thx!!!!

Edited by dial911

14 minutes ago, dial911 said:

SyncGuy:

Awaiting your decision and the outcome.  I am running the same board as you (ASRock N3150-ITX) and was considering the jump to v6.1.4 and a move to the DS916+ .pat, moving off of the DS3615xs .pat I have been on since the build.

Do tell-- what did you decide and what was your final outcome?

Thx!!!!

Good day, mate!

Well... I'm sorry for not following up here but I've been surged with a number of tasks since then (New year, new KPI).

But here's the thing, it had just occurred to me that I have an active domain with which I can sub for a Gsuite business account for the unlimited storage limit. :D

From there, I'll back up my whole 40TB of data and do the update worry-free! As of now, I've yet to do so. My apologies...

SyncGuy:

Will anxiously await the outcome of your attempt.  Thumbs up to being able to backup the 40TB on the GSuite account!!

Thx!!

I can confirm this guide works for N40L (AMD Turion).

As others have said, it will go nowhere unless you have disabled C1E in the CPU configuration within BIOS. 

I had no idea what C1E was so had to do a google search before working out the setting would be within the CPU configuration.

Thanks Jun and Polanskiman

I successfully upgraded from 6.0.2 directly to latest 6.1.5 PAT.  Baremetal Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L.  Given the motherboard was old, I was thinking I had to use the MBR Genesys loader, but I was fine with Jun's.  Thanks for the tutorial, @Polanskiman

On 1/15/2018 at 5:05 PM, SyncGuy said:

Good day, mate!

Well... I'm sorry for not following up here but I've been surged with a number of tasks since then (New year, new KPI).

But here's the thing, it had just occurred to me that I have an active domain with which I can sub for a Gsuite business account for the unlimited storage limit. :D

From there, I'll back up my whole 40TB of data and do the update worry-free! As of now, I've yet to do so. My apologies...

Any news on moving to the DS3615xs to DS916+ for the DSM 6.1.4?   It would be my preferred route, but I'd feel much more comfortable with doing it if you've already had success (especially since my trusty DS411slim is having issues right now....)

Thanks!

Hi Guys, 

Thanks everyone for their hard work on setting this up. I have had Xpenology running bare metal on my HP N54L for over 3 years now and have been on 5.2 for some time. Thought I would take the leap to 6.1 using the 1.02b loader. Added VID and PID using your instructions and used the existing MAC off the 5.2 install. Didn't have any trouble migrating it and had it all up and running. The only thing I changed was reset the IP to static. It nagged me for the update to 6.1.5 and after a bit of reading and successful updates I completed the update. After it rebooted I was unable to log into the NAS. Tried Synology Assistant (both web and installed version) but it couldn't be found. Plex, Sonarr and transmission were all running though and I could log into them! The only way I could get back in was to reinstall 6.1.5-15254 and migrate it again. 

I have read through these pages and the only thing I could find was about the MTU value being manually set to 9000 which mine is.....if I untick it and save it it comes back as ticked again.

Any help would be great!

Cheers,

Simon.

3 hours ago, dial911 said:

Any news on moving to the DS3615xs to DS916+ for the DSM 6.1.4?   It would be my preferred route, but I'd feel much more comfortable with doing it if you've already had success (especially since my trusty DS411slim is having issues right now....)

Thanks!

Hi again!! Thank you for being patient with me but holy mother of goat... I am STILL backing up 40TB worth of data. 

I've learned that gSuite drive has an upload limit of 750MB/day. I'm currently left with another 6TB worth of data to upload..

Truly apologise but I can't do anything about that upload limit and it's irritating when I discovered that considering I've 1Gb/s up and down speed..

I will definitely update here again. :(

3 hours ago, RXII said:

Hi Guys, 

Thanks everyone for their hard work on setting this up. I have had Xpenology running bare metal on my HP N54L for over 3 years now and have been on 5.2 for some time. Thought I would take the leap to 6.1 using the 1.02b loader. Added VID and PID using your instructions and used the existing MAC off the 5.2 install. Didn't have any trouble migrating it and had it all up and running. The only thing I changed was reset the IP to static. It nagged me for the update to 6.1.5 and after a bit of reading and successful updates I completed the update. After it rebooted I was unable to log into the NAS. Tried Synology Assistant (both web and installed version) but it couldn't be found. Plex, Sonarr and transmission were all running though and I could log into them! The only way I could get back in was to reinstall 6.1.5-15254 and migrate it again. 

I have read through these pages and the only thing I could find was about the MTU value being manually set to 9000 which mine is.....if I untick it and save it it comes back as ticked again.

Any help would be great!

Cheers,

Simon.

Try changing the MTU directly from the synoinfo.conf fille located at /etc.default see if that works. It should be located around the end of the file.

5 hours ago, dial911 said:

Thanks!

1 hour ago, SyncGuy said:

Hi again!! Thank you for being patient with me but holy mother of goat... I am STILL backing up 40TB worth of data. 

I've learned that gSuite drive has an upload limit of 750MB/day. I'm currently left with another 6TB worth of data to upload..

Truly apologise but I can't do anything about that upload limit and it's irritating when I discovered that considering I've 1Gb/s up and down speed..

I will definitely update here again. :(

Please create a new topic on this as it is beyond the tutorial.

8 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

Try changing the MTU directly from the synoinfo.conf fille located at /etc.default see if that works. It should be located around the end of the file.

Do you think this is most likely the reason why? It was ticked and set to 9000 the whole time on my 5.2 install. Thanks for the reply.

7 minutes ago, RXII said:

Do you think this is most likely the reason why? It was ticked and set to 9000 the whole time on my 5.2 install. Thanks for the reply.

Yes. Setting MTU to 9000 will most of the time generate the issue you are experiencing (no access to GUI and some other services not being available). Honestly I don't think you will see any difference speed wise setting MTU at the minimum (1500). Also for the untick / tick ussue, this seems a permission problem. Most certainly due to upgrading. Personnaly I always do a fresh install when going from one major version to another. This way you don't carry over problems from previous versions. Of course doing a fresh install requires installing all the packages again and reconfiguring DSM from scratch but it is worth the time.

26 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

Yes. Setting MTU to 9000 will most of the time generate the issue you are experiencing (no access to GUI and some other services not being available). Honestly I don't think you will see any difference speed wise setting MTU at the minimum (1500). Also for the untick / tick ussue, this seems a permission problem. Most certainly due to upgrading. Personnaly I always do a fresh install when going from one major version to another. This way you don't carry over problems from previous versions. Of course doing a fresh install requires installing all the packages again and reconfiguring DSM from scratch but it is worth the time.

Thanks Polanskiman, it has let me change the speed to 1500. I agree, you can't beat a fresh install.....I think I will go that route when I get time. Cheers