XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

Hello,

i am very new to Xpenology, thank you for the efforts, i followed the instructions to install DS3617sx img, at 1st the NAS was not detected so i used the ramdisk and it was detected.

i am doing a clean install not an upgrade, when i click install it goes for a reboot with a 10 min counter, and it never comes back from that, i noticed that my NIC has no lights after the reboot, my NIC is 8111F builtin GA-H61M-S2P motherboard, and i can see it is included in the drivers extension but it does not seem to work right.

i tried another usb stick the NIC worked normally till the reboot then it had no lights again, i tried altering my BOIS configuration to some sense but nothing happened, i am thinking to get a PCI NIC.

any help will be much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 5:51 AM, ahmedelsakka said:

Hello,

i am very new to Xpenology, thank you for the efforts, i followed the instructions to install DS3617sx img, at 1st the NAS was not detected so i used the ramdisk and it was detected.

i am doing a clean install not an upgrade, when i click install it goes for a reboot with a 10 min counter, and it never comes back from that, i noticed that my NIC has no lights after the reboot, my NIC is 8111F builtin GA-H61M-S2P motherboard, and i can see it is included in the drivers extension but it does not seem to work right.

i tried another usb stick the NIC worked normally till the reboot then it had no lights again, i tried altering my BOIS configuration to some sense but nothing happened, i am thinking to get a PCI NIC.

any help will be much appreciated

Hello Team, can anyone help on this, i really want to use xpenology but i am having this issue so i had to move to OMV for now.

Hi Guys and Girls!

I have a old version being DSM 6.0.2-8451 update 8 (installed like a year ago. Have not updated a single time since.

Now its time to update my system to the latest possible version (I guess 6.2-23739)

So do I first go through this tutorial first and then update from 6.1.x to 6.2 or is there a way to jump directly to the latest version?

Also a little question about data integrity.

I do have a lot of data on my NAS that I cant really backup. is there a risk to loose my data here? Im running it barebone no virtualisation.

If there is risk then how can I secure my data before attempting to update (without backing up everything.. like 6TB or so..)

Thanks guys!

@Polanskiman

Edited by Jamzor

1 hour ago, Jamzor said:

I have a old version being DSM 6.0.2-8451 update 8 (installed like a year ago. Have not updated a single time since.

Now its time to update my system to the latest possible version (I guess 6.2-23739)

So do I first go through this tutorial first and then update from 6.1.x to 6.2 or is there a way to jump directly to the latest version?

Also a little question about data integrity. I do have a lot of data on my NAS that I cant really backup. is there a risk to loose my data here? Im running it barebone no virtualisation.

If there is risk then how can I secure my data before attempting to update (without backing up everything.. like 6TB or so..)

Why is it time to update your system to the latest possible version?  The latest possible version is alpha status for XPenology.

Upgrading to the current version is not yet a highly robust process and there a lot of ways for it to go wrong.

Because of this, you have the risk to make your data inaccessible.  If this happens and you are unable to follow recovery steps you may inadvertently lose your data.

Even when upgrading works consistently on all hardware, you are unwise to attempt it without a backup.

If you simply must proceed, perhaps you could attempt to duplicate your current system using a different set of drives, and a second USB stick on your existing motherboard, NIC and PCIe disk controller card (if you have one).  In other words, carefully remove production drives in order, set them aside, remove your production USB.  Then configure a set of test USB and disks.  If you then successfully upgrade this TEST system and take careful notes, then you will know how to successfully upgrade when you reattach your original USB and disks.

Edited by flyride
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jamzor said:

Hi Guys and Girls!

Also a little question about data integrity.

I do have a lot of data on my NAS that I cant really backup. is there a risk to loose my data here? Im running it barebone no virtualisation.

Thanks guys!

@Polanskiman

Hi,

I am not sure why it is time to update your system to the latest DSM version unless you have very specific requirements. This said if you still want to upgrade just for the sake of it I would first suggest you to read the tutorial carefully and provide the information that is requested in the tutorial (see below) in case anything goes wrong. If you want some advice before proceeding then provide the hardware information as well since without that we can't help.

On 9/12/2017 at 5:59 PM, Polanskiman said:

10 - You are done. If you have questions, first search the forum and/or Google then leave a comment if nothing helps. Please provide your hardware specifications (motherboard model, LAN controller, driver controller etc). Failure to prove such information will lead to the post being deleted or not answered.

I would also strongly suggest you to read this sub forum as well as this Announcement as they will provide information on which DSM update you shouldn't be doing. Also read the FAQs, please.

As for your data, even if for some reason the update doesn't go as planned it normally is possible to recover it but it involves some linux command lines and also involves the user not playing around with the drives following the unsuccessful update.

Other than making a backup I don't see how you can secure your data. That is the exact purpose of a backup.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, flyride said:

Why is it time to update your system to the latest possible version?  The latest possible version is alpha status for XPenology.

Upgrading to the current version is not yet a highly robust process and there a lot of ways for it to go wrong.

Because of this, you have the risk to make your data inaccessible.  If this happens and you are unable to follow recovery steps you may inadvertently lose your data.

Even when upgrading works consistently on all hardware, you are unwise to attempt it without a backup.

If you simply must proceed, perhaps you could attempt to duplicate your current system using a different set of drives, and a second USB stick on your existing motherboard, NIC and PCIe disk controller card (if you have one).  In other words, carefully remove production drives in order, set them aside, remove your production USB.  Then configure a set of test USB and disks.  If you then successfully upgrade this TEST system and take careful notes, then you will know how to successfully upgrade when you reattach your original USB and disks.

2 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

Hi,

I am not sure why it is time to update your system to the latest DSM version unless you have very specific requirements. This said if you still want to upgrade just for the sake of it I would first suggest you to read the tutorial carefully and provide the information that is requested in the tutorial (see below) in case anything goes wrong. If you want some advice before proceeding then provide the hardware information as well since without that we can't help.

I would also strongly suggest you to read this sub forum as well as this Announcement as they will provide information on which DSM update you shouldn't be doing. Also read the FAQs, please.

As for your data, even if for some reason the update doesn't go as planned it normally is possible to recover it but it involves some linux command lines and also involves the user not playing around with the drives following the unsuccessful update.

Other than making a backup I don't see how you can secure your data. That is the exact purpose of a backup.

Hi Guys!

First of thanks for quick answers!

The reason I wanted to update to the latest version is just for latest features, security patches etc... But I think what Im reaching for here is to update to the latest possible stable version.

Since my system is not updated in a very long time this was my thinking.

Also, Im planning to start some projects here on my machine which I have not done before, earlier I just used it as a fileserver. Now Im planning to experiment with some pi-hole functions, r-sync functions, automatic snapshot functions etc. So I figured its probably wise to have a more updated system.

Maybe my mindset is wrong about this? in which case if there is not so much reason to update DSM to a more modern version then I guess I dont need to do it at the moment.. But I guess I need to attempt it at some point anyway..?

My hardware is:

DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 8

Intel® Pentium® Processor G4560

MSI H110I PRO Intel H110

Corsair ValueSelect DDR4-2133 DIMM CL15 Single 8GB

No cache disks

4 HDD's in RAID-5 but planning on adding a few more disks eventually. Maybe total of 6 in near future.

Right now showing model: DS3615xs in DSM

What I was thinking also was that I read some people using virtualisation like EsXi instead of the barebone version that I use.. In this case they dont need to have a backup when they update right? They just create a virtual OS and try to update it, if that works fine then it will work in production right? If this is true I wonder if its a possibility for me to try.

I have read through the forum a for a while now and it looks like people are sucessfull in updating to 6.2.-23739. Also saw that announcement and I understand that I need to update my loader to continue.

Thanks for all help in pointing me in the right direction guys.. I really appreciate it and all your work!

46 minutes ago, Jamzor said:

The reason I wanted to update to the latest version is just for latest features, security patches etc... But I think what Im reaching for here is to update to the latest possible stable version.

Security fixes could be a good reason but if you are using your box only in a LAN environment then not really since you are not exposing DSM to the internet.

New features, like? If you can't answer that question then I suppose there is not need.

Stable? As far as I am aware DSM 6.0.2 is stable like any other DSM release that comes out.

49 minutes ago, Jamzor said:

Also, Im planning to start some projects here on my machine which I have not done before, earlier I just used it as a fileserver. Now Im planning to experiment with some pi-hole functions, r-sync functions, automatic snapshot functions etc. So I figured its probably wise to have a more updated system.

Yes and no. It depends what you want to do. I would suggest you try first how everything works under DSM 6.0.2 then go for an update if for some reason some of those functions do no work.

54 minutes ago, Jamzor said:

Maybe my mindset is wrong about this? in which case if there is not so much reason to update DSM to a more modern version then I guess I dont need to do it at the moment.. But I guess I need to attempt it at some point anyway..?

You will to attempt this if there is any compelling or technical reason to do so. I know many user who still running DSM 5.2 and they are happy with it.

55 minutes ago, Jamzor said:

My hardware is:

DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 8

Intel® Pentium® Processor G4560

MSI H110I PRO Intel H110

Corsair ValueSelect DDR4-2133 DIMM CL15 Single 8GB

No cache disks

4 HDD's in RAID-5 but planning on adding a few more disks eventually. Maybe total of 6 in near future.

Right now showing model: DS3615xs in DSM

I think with that hard you should be able to update to 6.1 (with loader v1.02b) or even 6.2 (with loader v1.03b). I would personally suggest you stay at DSM 6.1 at the most for the time being.

58 minutes ago, Jamzor said:

What I was thinking also was that I read some people using virtualisation like EsXi instead of the barebone version that I use.. In this case they dont need to have a backup when they update right? They just create a virtual OS and try to update it, if that works fine then it will work in production right? If this is true I wonder if its a possibility for me to try.

Having a VM is definitely not a replacement for a backup. Some people run VMs because they need to run several OSes or instances of DSM under the same hardware. That is the primary use of a VM and does not replace the need of having a proper backup of your data even when you rely only on a VM.

Now you can also setup a VM to test new DSM or loader releases, OR you could also use a spare drive to test the same on your Baremetal. In my case I do both before applying anything to my running box. I am currently running DSM 6.1.7 and see no reason to run anything above that. In fact I didn't want to update to DSM 6.1.7. It was a mistake. I was still running DSM 6.1.

On 9/11/2018 at 1:09 PM, Polanskiman said:

Try with an intel NIC. Let us know how that works.

Hello Man, thanks for the reply i tried to find an intel NIC here in egypt could not find it is like tplink invaded the market, anyway i thoought i could learn how to compile my card driver so i got my NIC details from the debian OS i am currently running it is "Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 v2.0" while on windows it was detected as realtik 8111F, when i cecked the supported list i found that AR8151 us supported but it is not mentioning the supported version so i felt that no hope in compiling anything, it seems like something else is the issue, i think i am going to give up but as a last hope could you check my HW specs may be it is something else

Issue: My NAS gets detected but when it reboot to install, the network card just dies no lights at all

Motherboard: Gigabyte H61M-S2P
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz
RAM: 4096 MB DDR3 (1333 MHz)
Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet (rev c0)

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, optweets said:

Everything worked successfuly. I am able to now access v6.1.x but my boot screen on the machine is stuck on "screen will stop updating shortly".

Any ideas?

Ok, it's written in plain text just in front of you....  ;-)

The rest of the boot process is "hidden", no more output to the screen will come after that message.

Used these Tutorials and the loader of @jun. And my new server is up and running and working perfectly. But it would not have been possible without this forum and @Polanskiman help.

So I wanted to say thank you very very much for everyones efforts, advice, help, suggestions, tuturials, LOADERS and more. :D

I Used the following Build, if it helps somebody build their own Exponology server.

I wanted a silent but CHEAP buid. So most of these components where older generation or in discount somewhere. Build cost 330.

Asrock H110M

Hepa+ 500 PSU

Crucial 2400 4gb ram

Intel G4400 CPU

Fractal Design node 304 Black

Seagate Iron wolf Nas hdd 2x

Directly installed the 6.1.7.pat using the Loader from Jun. Ran on the first try, without problems. After that used the DDNS + VPN tutorial. Which didn't work at first  because of port forward problems at VPN end (The coudn't/wouldn't port forward) So used the multiple gateways option. Normal external web access runs through the router gateway. The rest is routed through the VPN gateway. Not as safe as I would prefer, but it works.

Again thank you very much very body. And keeping a close I for a stable version of the DSM 6.2 keep up the great work.

• Thanks 1

Hey everyone, I started reading through the forums to see what I could find. 

I build my USB drive without an issue.

I am currently on 5.2-5565.

My new USB boots but then stops at booting kernel.

I leave it there but never see anything on the assistant or anything. 

Am I supposed to see more loading in like we do on 5.2?

Is there a way to run a boot in some type of debug?

Thank you so much,

Mike

Hello!

Everything went fine, I have found the server on the network with http://find.synology.com/ - installation went fine and after the restart ( I left it here for a couple minutes ) to come back and see it no longer detected on the network.

So I ran the search again to encounter this screen:

4C5y5kPw.png

The hardware is the following:

Gigabyte H97N-Wifi

i3-4350T

8GB DDR3

1x500GB Seagate 2.5"HDD

1x250GB WD 2.5" HDD

And I'm using the DS3617xs loader

Please help me out!

Edited by Polanskiman
Removed link to dropbox and added picture instead

On 9/12/2017 at 12:59 PM, Polanskiman said:

Below is what you need for the operation. I will assume you are doing all this under Windows 10, 8, 7 or XP. If you are on a MAC computer have a look at this post I made on how to burn the image to a USB drive and then mounting the USB drive for editing the content. The rest of the tutorial still applies.

@Polanskiman Thanks for the amazing tutorial!! Just one thing, for macOS, you didn't say how to mount the partition to change the extra.lzma, just to change the grub.cfg. Could you please provide the info?

Thank you very much!!

Hi, 

I have one question. I am using DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 8 on my HP Microserver Gen 8. 

Not I would like to update to DSM 6.1.7 but I am not sure which tutorial is the right one. 

Just to be safe: Is that the right one? 

After updating Juns Loader I would go throug the find.synology-wizard. 

Is that correct? 

Thanks a lot. 

Moritz

i use dsm 5.2 3615sx Version. I would upgrade to 6.2 ds918+. 

I succeeded clean install dsm 6.2 ds918+.

But migration was faild.

1. At Second booting, Assistant sometimes found nas, sometimes not found nas.

2. it is possible to access web station, and ssh terminal connection is OK. but network setting has some problem.  up down shows 0kb/s and information center did not show network.

So, i think it is not about version but vender(not exactly). 

So, is it possible 3615sx to 918+? 

@apple3000:

try these steps:

Activate the SSH service in DSM
Connect to your Synology with an SSH client (e.g. putty) (or from Win 10, open a cmd window, run : ssh my.nas.ip (replace with the actual IP)
Enter your credentials (user: admin)
Change folder to root (cd /)
Delete the folder (sudo rm -r .xpenoboot)
If the SSH service keeps stopping, you have to be quick.

Edited by bearcat