XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

22 hours ago, alirz1 said:

Not that it matters, i booted ubtuntu on the board and both NICs worked fine.

You could check out which modules are being used while running ubuntu. ssh in and type:

lshw -class network

or

lspci -k

This should provide you enough information on the NICs and the modules they are using.

22 hours ago, alirz1 said:

I can try the custom ramdisk. Does that ram disk include Jun's modules/firmware on top of the extra ones?

Yes that ramdisk includes the defaults modules plus the new ones compiled by IG-88 

10 hours ago, PhillTheChill said:

Following the tutorial but at step 8 when I direct it to the DSM_DS3615xs_15217.pat file it says the following:

you have to use an installation file of 6.1.7-15284 or later (10)

Any ideas?

That is because you are using a DSM version that is inferior to the one you have already installed on your machine. DSM_DS3615xs_15217 is DSM 6.1.4. You need to use what DSM is actually telling you: DSM 6.1.7-15284. Download here: https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.1.7/15284/ - DO NOT update to any major DSM version above DSM 6.1.7 with Jun's loader v1.02b. You can update DSM 6.1.7 up to critical update 2.

31 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

That is because you are using a DSM version that is inferior to the one you have already installed on your machine. DSM_DS3615xs_15217 is DSM 6.1.4. You need to use what DSM is actually telling you: DSM 6.1.7-15284. Download here: https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.1.7/15284/ - DO NOT update to any major DSM version above DSM 6.1.7 with Jun's loader v1.02b. You can update DSM 6.1.7 up to critical update 2.

Thank you. That is strange as I removed all the hard drives from the machine and formated them in windows before reinstalling DSM back on them. I wonder why it reporeted that i already had a version on my machine?

14 minutes ago, PhillTheChill said:

Thank you. That is strange as I removed all the hard drives from the machine and formated them in windows before reinstalling DSM back on them. I wonder why it reporeted that i already had a version on my machine?

Because of usb key/loader. When you install DSM on your machine the kernel in the usb loader gets updated. If you did not reflash your usb then the loader has remained in the last version of DSM that you installed.

4 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

You could check out which modules are being used while running ubuntu. ssh in and type:

lshw -class network

or

lspci -k

This should provide you enough information on the NICs and the modules they are using.

Yes that ramdisk includes the defaults ones plus the new ones compiled by IG-88 

Thanks but I have gone ahead and setup the xpenology with all my data drives etc and cannot boot ubtuntu anymore. 

Anyway of finding the nic info in the current state...

Unless live booting Ubuntu won't mess with the dsm in anyway?

6 minutes ago, alirz1 said:

Thanks but I have gone ahead and setup the xpenology with all my data drives etc and cannot boot ubtuntu anymore. 

Anyway of finding the nic info in the current state...

Unless live booting Ubuntu won't mess with the dsm in anyway?

Live booting Ubuntu will not affect your DSM installation.

14 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

lshw -class network

or

lspci -k

Yes that ramdisk includes the defaults modules plus the new ones compiled by IG-88 

ok so i checked and below is what i found. Looks like the two modules for the two NICs are "e1000e" and "igb". Both of which i can find in the extra custom ram disk. They are likely in Jun's loader also but i didnt look yet. So the question is why wont my DSM see that other NIC. im alsopasting my grub info below in case there is something wrong in there.

"lspci -k" out from ubuntu:

00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V (rev 10)
    Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V
    Kernel driver in use: e1000e
    Kernel modules: e1000e
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
    Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection
    Kernel driver in use: igb
    Kernel modules: igb
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The relevant extract from grub.cfg:  (i've hidden the last 5 digits of the mac below)

set mac1=7085c28XXXXb
set mac2=7085c28XXXX9
set rootdev=/dev/md0
set netif_num=2
set extra_args_3617=''

set common_args_3617='syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 HddHotplug=0 syno_hw_version=DS3617xs vender_format_version=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 withefi elevator=elevator quiet syno_port_thaw=1'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The board also has a wifi adapter built in which also doesnt work, info below, Though i dont care about that really. Just providing info as FYI

02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 24fb (rev 10)
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 2110
    Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
    Kernel modules: iwlwifi

EDIT: i checked jun's loader 1.02b and it does not have the modules for e1000e and igb..

By the to replace the extra.lzma in jun's loader, i had simply mounted the 30MB partition and replaced the lzma file in there. I assume thats all that was needed? i guess if my method was not correct then i would not even have one lan working?

Edited by alirz1

Hi guys,

I'm new to the XPenology, please, bear with me.

I've tried to install XPenology on my computer and was sucessfull with DSM 5.5-5644.  I am using hte DS3615xs files.   My issue is when i try to upgrade, all goes well but do not see my SAS controller.  Please can someone help me out.  

Motherboard- Asus P8z77-V
CPU  Intel i5-4440
SAS Controller -Marvell 88se63xx/64xx(Supermicro SAS)
NIC Intel Pro 1000 

MB Sata 1   SSD for DSM   
MB Sata 2   Empty
MB Sata 3   2TB
MB Sata 4   2TB
MB sata 5   2TB
MB Sata 6   2TB

SAS port 1  2TB
Sas Port 2  3TB
Sas port 3  2TB

list of my devices

Jarvis> lspci -k | grep 'Kernel driver'
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
        Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
        Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
        Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
        Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
        Kernel driver in use: mvsas
        Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
Jarvis>

Edited by TundraLu

Hi All, I'm running DSM 5.2-5644 Update 5 on a Dell Optiplex 780 with Quad processor, 3 drives and all happy BUT I need to update to DSM 6.x to be able to get Plex updates. I have read/re-read this guide and was going to migrate to DSM6.1 but I now see Jun has worked to get a DSM 6.2 boot loader working. Do you think I can follow these steps to Migrate from 5.2 to 6.2 in one go? (I will build a test with a spare clean drive to check HW first before doing migration)

I figured I would post this in case it helps someone. It took me a bit of trial and error to figure it out. I was working with a TerraStation F4-220 with the 2gb ram increase trying to get this DSM software to work on it. The bootloader DS916+ worked without any issues but everytime I tried to push the pat file it would quit working. After a bit I decided to go a different route and I tried downloading the 1.03a2 synoboot-ds918p.zip file from the link on this page and I flashed that to my SD card making the changes specified in the tutorial. The bootloader booted up just fine so I tried pushing the DSM_DS918+_15217.pat to the system but it shot me an error saying I needed to use version 6.2.23739 or higher. So I downloaded DSM_DS918+_23739.pat and tried to push that. It worked. So now I am running 6.2 on my system. Just some knowledge, incase anyone runs into the same problems I was having. Besides those changes I followed everything else in the tutorial.

5 hours ago, houmic48 said:

I figured I would post this in case it helps someone. It took me a bit of trial and error to figure it out. I was working with a TerraStation F4-220 with the 2gb ram increase trying to get this DSM software to work on it. The bootloader DS916+ worked without any issues but everytime I tried to push the pat file it would quit working. After a bit I decided to go a different route and I tried downloading the 1.03a2 synoboot-ds918p.zip file from the link on this page and I flashed that to my SD card making the changes specified in the tutorial. The bootloader booted up just fine so I tried pushing the DSM_DS918+_15217.pat to the system but it shot me an error saying I needed to use version 6.2.23739 or higher. So I downloaded DSM_DS918+_23739.pat and tried to push that. It worked. So now I am running 6.2 on my system. Just some knowledge, incase anyone runs into the same problems I was having. Besides those changes I followed everything else in the tutorial.

This tutorial is for DSM 6.1 but let me just explain the issue you experienced.

You flashed the loader v1.03a2 (designed for DSM 6.2) on a SD card and then tried using DSM_DS918+_15217 pat file which is DSM 6.1.4. No wonder why DSM installation wizard asked you to use DSM 6.2.23739 or higher. The reason is because the v1.03a2 bootloader comes with the kernel of DSM 6.2 not DSM 6.1.x.

You have to keep in mind that bootloader need to match the DSM version for which they are designed for, else it doesn't work.

14 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

This tutorial is for DSM 6.1 but let me just explain the issue you experienced.

You flashed the loader v1.03a2 (designed for DSM 6.2) on a SD card and then tried using DSM_DS918+_15217 pat file which is DSM 6.1.4. No wonder why DSM installation wizard asked you to use DSM 6.2.23739 or higher. The reason is because the v1.03a2 bootloader comes with the kernel of DSM 6.2 not DSM 6.1.x.

You have to keep in mind that bootloader need to match the DSM version for which they are designed for, else it doesn't work.

Yeah, I became well aware it was for 6.2 when it told me it was. I didn't think that needed explaining. What I found weird was that no matter how I tried with the 1.02b loader, the pat file (DSM_DS916+_15217) would never take. Or more specifically the network would never come back up. I tried multiple 6.1 pat file versions but no go. It just didn't like it. Now what I didn't try was using the 1.02b loader for one of the other types. So it may have just been that it didn't like the DS916 one, even though the loader always came up without any issues until I pushed the pat file. Either way, I am new to this as I just found this software tuesday as I was looking for an alternative to the default OS on the NAS. So I don't know much about the bootloader stuff for this specific software. Good old trial and error. But anyways, it is still running good on 6.2 with the 1.03 loader. So I can't complain. Even updated it to 6.2 update 2 without any issues.

Edited by houmic48
Add info.

On 8/18/2018 at 4:27 AM, houmic48 said:

Yeah, I became well aware it was for 6.2 when it told me it was. I didn't think that needed explaining. What I found weird was that no matter how I tried with the 1.02b loader, the pat file (DSM_DS916+_15217) would never take. Or more specifically the network would never come back up. I tried multiple 6.1 pat file versions but no go. It just didn't like it. Now what I didn't try was using the 1.02b loader for one of the other types. So it may have just been that it didn't like the DS916 one, even though the loader always came up without any issues until I pushed the pat file. Either way, I am new to this as I just found this software tuesday as I was looking for an alternative to the default OS on the NAS. So I don't know much about the bootloader stuff for this specific software. Good old trial and error. But anyways, it is still running good on 6.2 with the 1.03 loader. So I can't complain. Even updated it to 6.2 update 2 without any issues.

It might not need explaining for you yet you tried something that could simply never have worked, so my comment might help others since this is a community not a private messaging system.

Using the loader for 916+ requires very specific hardware and most precisely specific types of CPUs. I will not go into details here about it as this has been discussed in the forum. Your issue however seems to be that your NIC was not detected due to a module not being present in the loader's ramdisk to initialise it. I didn't check the specs of the TerraStation F4-220  but did you try the custom ramdisk that is available?

Anyways since you are using DSM 6.2 not sure if there is any purpose of you going backwards.

On 8/18/2018 at 8:51 AM, Polanskiman said:

It might not need explaining for you yet you tried something that could simply never have worked, so my comment might help others since this is a community not a private messaging system.

Using the loader for 916+ requires very specific hardware and most precisely specific types of CPUs. I will not go into details here about it as this has been discussed in the forum. Your issue however seems to be that your NIC was not detected due to a module not being present in the loader's ramdisk to initialise it. I didn't check the specs of the TerraStation F4-220  but did you try the custom ramdisk that is available?

Anyways since you are using DSM 6.2 not sure if there is any purpose of you going backwards.

Once again,  thanks for the info and u are right. It might of needed explaining for other people. I didn't try the other ramdisk but I am happy with where I am at so I am not going to try it. I was just mostly curious as to why it didn't work and your explanation is more than acceptable. So I appreciate it. I could have looked through the forum when trying to get it to work originally and probably found info on it, but than I wouldn't have learned the amount I did by figuring it out myself. So I can't complain. 

On 8/19/2018 at 5:42 AM, houmic48 said:

Once again,  thanks for the info and u are right. It might of needed explaining for other people. I didn't try the other ramdisk but I am happy with where I am at so I am not going to try it. I was just mostly curious as to why it didn't work and your explanation is more than acceptable. So I appreciate it. I could have looked through the forum when trying to get it to work originally and probably found info on it, but than I wouldn't have learned the amount I did by figuring it out myself. So I can't complain. 

In fact all is explained in the OP of this tutorial. The custom ramdisk is also linked there. It is always good to read at least the FAQs as they provide basically 99% of the answers to the questions that people have.

Happy that you have your box up and running.

Hi everyone,

I'm launching the update of my 5.2 (thanks a lot for this tuto).

But, when I'm trying to download the DSM pat, the link doesn't work https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.1.7/15284/DSM_DS3615xs_15284.pat 

The entire folder "DSM/release" seems deleted.

It's normal ? Where I can download the file ? 

I found this place but I don't know if taking this file is safe : https://download.iroot.kr/nas/XPEnology/6.1.7/DSM/ds3615xs/15284/

Thanks again for your help.

Robertfou

On 8/14/2018 at 12:37 PM, mrandyburns said:

Hi All, I'm running DSM 5.2-5644 Update 5 on a Dell Optiplex 780 with Quad processor, 3 drives and all happy BUT I need to update to DSM 6.x to be able to get Plex updates. I have read/re-read this guide and was going to migrate to DSM6.1 but I now see Jun has worked to get a DSM 6.2 boot loader working. Do you think I can follow these steps to Migrate from 5.2 to 6.2 in one go? (I will build a test with a spare clean drive to check HW first before doing migration)

Just so you know how it went.  In short it’s working thanks for your help and Jun’s latest box of tricks. The issues I had were test system was okay (clean build onto clean drive) however migration failed (code 13) and then no migrating option, then ran out of space so had to delete various update.pat. Then I went for 3617 download, forgot to generate new serial number, lots of errors. Fixed but then still could not migrate (but did have option). In the end the last thing I tried was using Synology finder to install update (which failed but put the softwhere in the right place) but could I could then use web ui to migrate keeping data but with factory settings. In the end I’m pleased with this as I know the permissions are okay with just a bit os work. So I have a Dell 780SSF with quad core processor and 4gb memory and 3 drives (two sat on top as there is not enough room)  moved from 5.2x to latest 6.2 which has been able to update from Synology directly. 

19 hours ago, robertfou said:

Hi everyone,

I'm launching the update of my 5.2 (thanks a lot for this tuto).

But, when I'm trying to download the DSM pat, the link doesn't work https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.1.7/15284/DSM_DS3615xs_15284.pat

The entire folder "DSM/release" seems deleted.

It's normal ? Where I can download the file ? 

I found this place but I don't know if taking this file is safe : https://download.iroot.kr/nas/XPEnology/6.1.7/DSM/ds3615xs/15284/

Thanks again for your help.

Robertfou

Synology locked all access to the directories where the release PAT files are hosted. Probably due to maintenance. This happened late last week. I have checked the link and it is now working again.

I do not recommend you download the PAT files from anywhere else other than Synology's servers. You are exposing yourself to potentially hacked PAT files which could have undesirable consequences, to say the least.

Edited by Polanskiman
Comment edited.