XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

On 7/29/2018 at 1:56 AM, IG-88 said:

if you can handle linux on a command line, no problem, (most stuff is in the gui but sometimes, especially when problems occur you might have to fall back to the old ways)

its more complex then baremetal but also gives more options, in addition to dsm it will need updates too so more maintenance in general, if you where planing to have more then 1 or 2 vm's then its the better choice

Now I'm doing it with Esxi and it's not that hard as I thought. My dev-server with jira, git and so on is already running good, but I have small problems with the VM of DSM. -> But I get this also running for sure :)

On 7/29/2018 at 1:56 AM, IG-88 said:

cpu must be newer, your ryzen should work, as my ryzen work in paravirtual (windows -> virtual box -> dsm as vm) for my test vm's

I have tried the 918+ but my system got stuck at the Intro (where you can choose what you want (run, reinstall, install on esxi)), therefore I installed esxi.

I try the 918+ on my DSM-VM again, if that not works I use the ds3617xs.

So, I seemed to get it working, but initially it seemed to stick at the choices between a bare metal instal or the other two options in the bootloader (correct term?). Or bios. When I hit enter it continued. It forced reboot a couple of times when it seemed to be endlessly stuck and then it was complaining two drives were damaged but useable. But then I updated to 6.1.7 I think it was and finally update 2. Now I'm back to being unable to connect.

Have I broken it? At least until someone cracks 6.2 I guess. Why didn't I leave well alone!

I guess there's no way back now???

1 hour ago, blue max said:

So, I seemed to get it working, but initially it seemed to stick at the choices between a bare metal instal or the other two options in the bootloader (correct term?). Or bios. When I hit enter it continued. It forced reboot a couple of times when it seemed to be endlessly stuck and then it was complaining two drives were damaged but useable. But then I updated to 6.1.7 I think it was and finally update 2. Now I'm back to being unable to connect.

Have I broken it? At least until someone cracks 6.2 I guess. Why didn't I leave well alone!

I guess there's no way back now???

The N54L has a AMD cpu  & is therefore not currently supported on 6.2 as Jun has only created a loader for the DS918+  model which seems to only run on late model Intel cpu's. There is a way to downgrade to 6.1, follow the instructions in this thread 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, blue max said:

Is 6.1.7 update 2 actually 6.2?

I thought it safe as it didn't appear to be 6.2, but can't access my nas again.

And this is the end of the line for the N54L? Very sad day.

Follow the instructions in the link I posted & you should be able to recover your system.

• Like 1

Update - managed to get DSM 6.1.7-15284 running on my N54L finally. Thanks to Dfds for his help.

It didn't go as smoothly as suggested, but with perseverance, I managed it. Couldn't tell you what worked eventually as it was very fraught.

However, the biggest oddity is that it won't boot up unless I attach a keyboard and hit enter. Seems it won't get past the asking which option to use to boot from. Any clues what I may be able to do about that?

3 hours ago, blue max said:

Update - managed to get DSM 6.1.7-15284 running on my N54L finally. Thanks to Dfds for his help.

It didn't go as smoothly as suggested, but with perseverance, I managed it. Couldn't tell you what worked eventually as it was very fraught.

However, the biggest oddity is that it won't boot up unless I attach a keyboard and hit enter. Seems it won't get past the asking which option to use to boot from. Any clues what I may be able to do about that?

Glad you're up & running again. To get around the issue you could edit the grub.cfg file on the USB stick & remove all but the 1st menuentry (the baremetal one). Also I don't know if you've seen but Jun has released a new loader for 6.2, it's still beta but it does work with the N54L as I've done a test install on my server.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dfds said:

Glad you're up & running again. To get around the issue you could edit the grub.cfg file on the USB stick & remove all but the 1st menuentry (the baremetal one). Also I don't know if you've seen but Jun has released a new loader for 6.2, it's still beta but it does work with the N54L as I've done a test install on my server.

Thank you so much. Though it sits on that one and just needs accepting, so wonder if that will help?

However, in for a penny etc and I may be adventurous and try 6.2 in a few days. Thanks for confirming, much appreciated. I had feared the old N54L days may have been numbered in terms of updating, so this is great news!

Edited by blue max

2 hours ago, blue max said:

Thank you so much. Though it sits on that one and just needs accepting, so wonder if that will help?

However, in for a penny etc and I may be adventurous and try 6.2 in a few days. Thanks for confirming, much appreciated. I had feared the old N54L days may have been numbered in terms of updating, so this is great news!

Removing all the other entries should mean that it doesn't require further input. Yes it's great that the N54 still works with Juns new loader as it's still a good little server.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dfds said:

Removing all the other entries should mean that it doesn't require further input. Yes it's great that the N54 still works with Juns new loader as it's still a good little server.

Just tried and it didn't work. Actually, as I suspected. It wasn't that it made the wrong choice, just didn't make any choice! I don't have it connected up to a monitor and just hitting enter on the keyboard sends it on it's way. I used to have it sleep under 5.2 and only come on for an hour or so to backup my main server, so this is an expensive upgrade!

17 minutes ago, blue max said:

Just tried and it didn't work. Actually, as I suspected. It wasn't that it made the wrong choice, just didn't make any choice! I don't have it connected up to a monitor and just hitting enter on the keyboard sends it on it's way. I used to have it sleep under 5.2 and only come on for an hour or so to backup my main server, so this is an expensive upgrade!

Just a thought but have you tried it without a keyboard attached? I only attach one to mine if I need to make any bios changes.

Hi, What build should i use for my HP Proliant ML150 G9 with E5-2609v3?

what one should i  use ds3615xs, ds3617xs or ds916+?

Is my NIC supported or do i have to use extention drivers? my NIC is: Broadcom 5717 Dual-port 1Gb.

I also have a Raid card: IBM ServeRAID M5016 Controller Raid SAS/SATA PCIe 6GB 1G cache =LSI 9265-8i

Is that raid card supported?

Can't get the update to dsm 6 to work, had no problems with dsm 5,2 baremetal

Edited by Nofear87

hello,

im upgrading my 5.0.2 to 6.1 to new hardware using Jun's latest loader. All is well except that my new board has two Intel NICs. However only the first only is the one coming online.

I have set Mac1 and Mac2 in grub. Also set "set netif_num=2".

The lights on the nic lights up like it has a connection but it wont get an IP.

Both are intel nics, built into the board. They seem to be the EXACT same type of adapter because the MAC address are very similar, only the last two digits are different. So i dont think its a driver issue as Nic 1 works fine.

The mother board is ASROCK H370m. 

Also, the board has 6 sata ports. Do i need to adjust any sata parameters in the grub file or it should pickup all of them? Currently i only have one test disk plugged in but plan to plug in four.

Could someone please someone please shed some light on this? Thanks.

First off, please note that double posting is not tolerated in the forum. There is no need to expose the same problem in several topics. I will allow only one post to remain active. Read the rules and guidelines.

On 8/9/2018 at 5:51 AM, alirz1 said:

hello,

im upgrading my 5.0.2 to 6.1 to new hardware using Jun's latest loader. All is well except that my new board has two Intel NICs. However only the first only is the one coming online.

I have set Mac1 and Mac2 in grub. Also set "set netif_num=2".

The lights on the nic lights up like it has a connection but it wont get an IP.

Both are intel nics, built into the board. They seem to be the EXACT same type of adapter because the MAC address are very similar, only the last two digits are different. So i dont think its a driver issue as Nic 1 works fine.

The mother board is ASROCK H370m. 

Also, the board has 6 sata ports. Do i need to adjust any sata parameters in the grub file or it should pickup all of them? Currently i only have one test disk plugged in but plan to plug in four.

Could someone please someone please shed some light on this? Thanks.

To start, I clearly mentioned in the tutorial to update DSM5.1 or below to DSM5.2 before updating to DSM6.1

MAC addresses are totally unrelated to NIC model/manufacturer. Two very different NICs in a board usually have MAC addresses that are in succession address wise as those are set (flashed) by the OEM.

Is your board this one https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/H370M-ITXac/index.asp#Specification ? If so that board has 2 intel NICs but they are not the same model: 1 is a Giga PHY Intel I219V and 1 is a GigaLAN Intel I211AT. Not sure if the PHY one will work though although they should use the e1000e or igb modules. Have you tried using the custom extra.lzma ramdisk?

You can try setting sataportmap if you have issues if not then no need. Read the tutorial thoroughly.

On 8/9/2018 at 8:29 AM, alirz1 said:

To add to the above.

I’m using the real macs of the network adapters. Does Synology need the Mac addresses to be incremented by one. Or can they be off by a few digits etc?

Use the real addresses as suggested in the tutorial.

Sorry that was a typo, i did go from DSM 5.2 to 6.1.4.

Yes, that is my motherboard. Now its hard for me to tell which of those NIc is the Intel 1219V and which one is 1211AT. All i know is, one of them works :)

Not that it matters, i booted ubtuntu on the board and both NICs worked fine.

I can try the custom ramdisk. Does that ram disk include Jun's modules/firmware on top of the extra ones?