XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

On 6 June 2018 at 6:08 PM, Infray said:

lspci shows ixgbe on the ubuntu live cd, which is included in the list.

Still trying to figure out how to get the Serial over Lan to work.

I'll keep you posted.

Com port redirection in bios advanced ?

Hi all, 

I am hoping someone can please help me with an issue I am having,

I am currently running a HP MicroSvr Gen8 G1610T with DSM 5.2 and it works perfectly, but I have come to a point where I want to update to the latest DSM being 6.1 and have come across an issue, I have followed the tutorial to a tee, I will say first off.

I took out my 5.2 DSM bootloader USD and created a new bootloader using exactly the same USB stick

I have inserted the new bootloader and started the machine I made sure it was still booting from the USB port as the first selection in the bios, the system will boot and right away try booting from NIC which is the last selection in the Bios, even if I reboot and go into the boot menu and select boot from USB it will still try and boot from the NIC, it looks like the USB stick for some reason is not bootable

I do not any further than the machine trying to boot from the NIC

I have used both Win32diskimager and Rufus to create bootloader images

As soon as I put my original 5.2 bootloader back in, it will boot from that no issues at all

Please help guys

1 hour ago, glenncol said:

Hi all, 

I am hoping someone can please help me with an issue I am having,

I am currently running a HP MicroSvr Gen8 G1610T with DSM 5.2 and it works perfectly, but I have come to a point where I want to update to the latest DSM being 6.1 and have come across an issue, I have followed the tutorial to a tee, I will say first off.

I took out my 5.2 DSM bootloader USD and created a new bootloader using exactly the same USB stick

I have inserted the new bootloader and started the machine I made sure it was still booting from the USB port as the first selection in the bios, the system will boot and right away try booting from NIC which is the last selection in the Bios, even if I reboot and go into the boot menu and select boot from USB it will still try and boot from the NIC, it looks like the USB stick for some reason is not bootable

I do not any further than the machine trying to boot from the NIC

I have used both Win32diskimager and Rufus to create bootloader images

As soon as I put my original 5.2 bootloader back in, it will boot from that no issues at all

Please help guys

Sorry guys, i got it fixed, it turned out to be the bloody USB stick, Damn same as my 5.2 DSM and I tired 2 of them, I tried another Sandisk (different model) and it worked

On 12/6/2018 at 11:48 PM, sbv3000 said:

you might need to go the difficult path of attaching a serial port adapter to the onboard header.

I got it to work. It logs following:

[     0.017344] LAPIC pending interrupts after 512 ECI
[     0.032780] ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IC-APIC
[     0.362052] smpboot: APIC never delivered???
[     0.366314] smpboot: APIC never delivery error (ef)
[     0.683915] smpboot: APIC never delivered???
[     0.688177] smpboot: APIC never delivery error (ef)
[     1.005760] smpboot: APIC never delivered???
[     1.010025] smpboot: APIC never delivery error (ef)

I'm not sure what to do about it unfortunately...

On 12/6/2018 at 11:48 PM, sbv3000 said:

you might need to go the difficult path of attaching a serial port adapter to the onboard header.

On 15/6/2018 at 11:04 AM, Infray said:

I got it to work. It logs following:

[     0.017344] LAPIC pending interrupts after 512 ECI
[     0.032780] ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IC-APIC
[     0.362052] smpboot: APIC never delivered???
[     0.366314] smpboot: APIC never delivery error (ef)
[     0.683915] smpboot: APIC never delivered???
[     0.688177] smpboot: APIC never delivery error (ef)
[     1.005760] smpboot: APIC never delivered???
[     1.010025] smpboot: APIC never delivery error (ef)

I'm not sure what to do about it unfortunately...

I removed the "quiet" kernel option from grub and added following:

"noapictimer acpi=off noapic"

This gives me attached output: 

output.txt

Edited by Infray
add big chunk of text as attachment instead of inline

3 hours ago, Infray said:

I removed the "quiet" kernel option from grub and added following:

"noapictimer acpi=off noapic"

This gives me attached output: 

output.txt

something that jumps out to me is the lack of IRQ resources. In the bios, disable all unnecessary devices; parallel port, sound chip, com2,  (if present), additional USB controllers etc

13 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

something that jumps out to me is the lack of IRQ resources. In the bios, disable all unnecessary devices; parallel port, sound chip, com2,  (if present), additional USB controllers etc

I tried disabling all unnecessary devices, but the result stays the same.

If I keep the "noapictimer acpi=off noapic" options I get the same output as before.

If I only use the "acpi=off" I get the output in output_noapci.txt.

And without any added options I get the output in output_reg.txt

The last one seems to be the best option, but I can't figure out why it freezes at "xor: measuring software checksum speed".

output_noapci.txt

output_reg.txt

On 17/6/2018 at 10:01 AM, Infray said:

I tried disabling all unnecessary devices, but the result stays the same.

If I keep the "noapictimer acpi=off noapic" options I get the same output as before.

If I only use the "acpi=off" I get the output in output_noapci.txt.

And without any added options I get the output in output_reg.txt

The last one seems to be the best option, but I can't figure out why it freezes at "xor: measuring software checksum speed".

output_noapci.txt

output_reg.txt

Does anyone have any tips?

Just thought i'd chime in with a solution that may help someone else one day.

I was pulling my hair out trying to work out why after installation of the boot loader and the .pat file my generic PC would not boot XPEnology.

I made many tweaks to the BIOS and read heaps of stuff in this forum, installed the extra.lzma etc etc.

After setting up a serial connection I found the following....

[    5.819006] ehci-pci 0000:00:1d.7: port 1 reset error -110
[    5.826257] ehci-pci 0000:00:1d.7: port 1 reset error -110
[    5.833493] ehci-pci 0000:00:1d.7: port 1 reset error -110
[    5.840729] ehci-pci 0000:00:1d.7: port 1 reset error -110
[    5.847967] ehci-pci 0000:00:1d.7: port 1 reset error -110
[    5.854205] hub 1-0:1.0: hub_port_status failed (err = -32)

It turned out to be one of those internal USB hubs that does SD cards etc that you mount into your case in the FDD slot, I had completely forgotten about.

After disconnecting that all was well. I hope this one day helps someone here.

Hello,
I am trying to run Xpenology on my MSI E350IA-E45 I am fighting 2 days and nothing is coming out.
Replaced in the VID and PID installations did not change SN and MAC.
After that the installation started because it had not worked before.
After installation, the restart is restarted and stops at Boting the kernel.
List of installations:
DS3617xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.iso

synoboot-ds918p.img

synoboot.img
DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.img

DS3617xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.img

I am asking for help and a working installation on MSI E350IA-E45.
Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/06/2018 at 3:04 AM, glenncol said:

Sorry guys, i got it fixed, it turned out to be the bloody USB stick, Damn same as my 5.2 DSM and I tired 2 of them, I tried another Sandisk (different model) and it worked

I've got the same machine as you and had the same problem where usb sticks I'd been using for months just became unusable or need reflashing. Just wondering did the upgrade work for you with the normal Ramdisk files or did you need to use a custom one?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I am trying to install dsm 6.1.x on Dell Optiplex 790 with the following Hardware specs.

Intel i5, 3.1GHz Quad Core

4G DDR3 RAM

Integrated LAN
1TB SATA Hitachi

4TB SATA Red WD

1. I followed JUN Tutorial step by step for a fresh build. Used correct VID/PID of each USB sticks. Used different serial numbers for x3615.

2. I get to the Install screen. After installation is complete message appears Restarting Disk Station. 

3. After the first reboot, the system keeps restarting after approximately 20 seconds. Seems like stuck in the boot loop.

I tried following to resolve this issue.

1. Tried 4 x new USB sticks with 6.1 x3615 build.

2. Deleted partition from the HDD and tried a fresh install with the separate USB sticks.

3. Installation on single Hitachi disk.

4. Installation on single Red WD disk.

5. I installed Ubuntu desktop to confirm there is no issue with the hardware, it did not restart and kept running. 

I have been reading the forum to find the resolution but have not come across a concrete answer. I'd appreciate any help.

It's been a frustrating week for me. Do I have to change the hardware?

Thanks in advance.

On 7/23/2018 at 3:48 AM, Toti said:

Hello All,

I am trying to install dsm 6.1.x on Dell Optiplex 790 with the following Hardware specs.

Intel i5, 3.1GHz Quad Core

4G DDR3 RAM

Integrated LAN
1TB SATA Hitachi

4TB SATA Red WD

1. I followed JUN Tutorial step by step for a fresh build. Used correct VID/PID of each USB sticks. Used different serial numbers for x3615.

2. I get to the Install screen. After installation is complete message appears Restarting Disk Station. 

3. After the first reboot, the system keeps restarting after approximately 20 seconds. Seems like stuck in the boot loop.

I tried following to resolve this issue.

1. Tried 4 x new USB sticks with 6.1 x3615 build.

2. Deleted partition from the HDD and tried a fresh install with the separate USB sticks.

3. Installation on single Hitachi disk.

4. Installation on single Red WD disk.

5. I installed Ubuntu desktop to confirm there is no issue with the hardware, it did not restart and kept running. 

I have been reading the forum to find the resolution but have not come across a concrete answer. I'd appreciate any help.

It's been a frustrating week for me. Do I have to change the hardware?

Thanks in advance.

Please make sure that after installing DSM the boot order is correct. Boot from USB should be number one.

I'm trying to use my m2. SSD for my VMs but DSM does not detect it.

I'm using jun's loader (v1.02b, ds3617xs) - with the extra.lzma ramdisk (this one)

My system:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

32 GB RAM 

Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

ADATA XPG SX6000 256GB, M.2 (ASX6000NP-256GT-C)

3 x 3TB Western Digital Red

I also bought a PCIe expansion card for my m.2 (this one), but the system does also not detect it this way.

What can I do?

Do I have to change this in my grub.config? --> Maybe to SataPortMap=11 ?

set sata_args='sata_uid=1 sata_pcislot=5 synoboot_satadom=1 DiskIdxMap=0C SataPortMap=1 SasIdxMap=0'

2 hours ago, Stefan said:

I'm trying to use my m2. SSD for my VMs but DSM does not detect it.

I'm using jun's loader (v1.02b, ds3617xs) - with the extra.lzma ramdisk (this one)

ADATA XPG SX6000 256GB, M.2 (ASX6000NP-256GT-C) 

I also bought a PCIe expansion card for my m.2 (this one), but the system does also not detect it this way.

What can I do?

as its NVMe and thats not supported on that systems (3615/3617) there is not much, i've compiled a nvme driver but as synology had its own ways there where lots of things missing that where present on the newer 918+, so the one or two people thinking about using it had given up (with the nvme driver the disk device is at least created if you check dmesg)

one alternative is to use esxi (virtual xpenology), format the nvme as vmfs, create a virtual ssd and hand that over to the xpenology vm

not sure that is a good choice and its some way from baremetal to esxi, if you familiar with esxi then it might be ok but if not you are up to a lot of work to catch up on that (pass through or not, ...) - not woth it imho if its just for xpenology

2nd option available now is the new (alpha/testing) loader 1.03a2 with the 918+ image, that has native nvme support build in by synology and might be able to use the nvme ssd

(you can test by disconnecting all disk and use a single empty disk for a test install)

if you want to use it as cache then the performance gain by just one ssd (as read cache) is extremely small (or none) even with two and write enabled you will not see much, its a option that will pay off when having lots of users accessing the system over network

19 hours ago, IG-88 said:

as its NVMe and thats not supported on that systems (3615/3617) there is not much, i've compiled a nvme driver but as synology had its own ways there where lots of things missing that where present on the newer 918+, so the one or two people thinking about using it had given up (with the nvme driver the disk device is at least created if you check dmesg)

one alternative is to use esxi (virtual xpenology), format the nvme as vmfs, create a virtual ssd and hand that over to the xpenology vm

not sure that is a good choice and its some way from baremetal to esxi, if you familiar with esxi then it might be ok but if not you are up to a lot of work to catch up on that (pass through or not, ...) - not woth it imho if its just for xpenology

2nd option available now is the new (alpha/testing) loader 1.03a2 with the 918+ image, that has native nvme support build in by synology and might be able to use the nvme ssd

(you can test by disconnecting all disk and use a single empty disk for a test install)

if you want to use it as cache then the performance gain by just one ssd (as read cache) is extremely small (or none) even with two and write enabled you will not see much, its a option that will pay off when having lots of users accessing the system over network

Ok, thanks for your reply.

Option 1: sounds good --> I could create VMs on the esxi instead of in DSM, what maybe is better (better performance, etc.). I'm not familiar with esxi, but I think it's not difficult, or?

Option 2: yeah I saw that there is a new loader. I check if that work. Do I have any restrictions on using the 918+ instead of 3617xs? Maybe not all packages or settings are available, or something of that?

6 hours ago, Stefan said:

Option 1: sounds good --> I could create VMs on the esxi instead of in DSM, what maybe is better (better performance, etc.). I'm not familiar with esxi, but I think it's not difficult, or?

if you can handle linux on a command line, no problem, (most stuff is in the gui but sometimes, especially when problems occur you might have to fall back to the old ways)

its more complex then baremetal but also gives more options, in addition to dsm it will need updates too so more maintenance in general, if you where planing to have more then 1 or 2 vm's then its the better choice

Option 2: yeah I saw that there is a new loader. I check if that work. Do I have any restrictions on using the 918+ instead of 3617xs?

cpu must be newer, your ryzen should work, as my ryzen work in paravirtual (windows -> virtual box -> dsm as vm) for my test vm's

Maybe not all packages or settings are available, or something of that?

yes some packages that are not maintained might not be offered, most would work if declared in the right way in the repository

but its still early some people report performace problems with ahci but in general its working reliable (when hardware transcoding is not used)

if vm's are important then check out esxi, thats a good and reliable solution (as lomg as you know what you are doing and have documented the system)

I know you guys must be sick of relative newbies, but I have a couple of HP N54L microservers running 5.2 famously. I suffered when I lost all my hard drives after a few days during one of my updates - and had updated my backup server too as it appeared to be OK. That will teach me! Anyway, I've stayed away for a while, but see that 6.1 seems well received now.

I've done all the steps and it doesn't seem to be recognised by Synology Assistant. Well, it can see it, but doesn't see it as migratable. Stick the old usb back in and all is good.

This is the same make and type of stick, just twice the capacity. USB 2.0. I tried using the mac instructions and on a pc with no difference.

I also tried with the previous version loader, with no difference.

Any suggestions please? I've been out of it for a while, so please make allowances.

Thank you all.

19 minutes ago, Dfds said:

@blue max The N54L will run 6.1 ok, I have one running 6.1.7 at present. Did you disable C1E support in the bios as it won't work unless you do.

Thank you for replying, but not sure what that is. I use that altered firmware that allows all sorts of other adjustments. Was it by 'the Bay'?

So, if I understand correctly, I need to boot up into the bios and make a change? I have never changed that, so assume it's on by default? Is there any way of checking through the Synology screen?

16 minutes ago, blue max said:

Thank you for replying, but not sure what that is. I use that altered firmware that allows all sorts of other adjustments. Was it by 'the Bay'?

So, if I understand correctly, I need to boot up into the bios and make a change? I have never changed that, so assume it's on by default? Is there any way of checking through the Synology screen?

Yes it was the Bay bios, I'm using it too, & no it's not something that you can check through Synology, it has to be done via the bios by booting & pressing F10.

• Like 1