XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

9 hours ago, del_piero_3 said:

Just figured out that the issue happens when setting "Set MTU value manually" to 9000, the operation fails but this value still remains despite unticking the option or to another value.

Yes it is not recommended to set MTU to 9000. It can lock the user out and you might need to edit the value by accessing the system partition and editing the synoinfo.conf file.

Hello all,

for first thanks a lot for your hard work on xpenology, its awesom. I have problem with updating from 5.2 to 6.1.x.

I have GIGABYTE GA-656P-S3 motherboard and Intel core i3-4130. I try to use Juns loader and genesis loader (MBR) but in both way i cant boot. Everything stop after all "setup" screens.. please check attached video.

Can somebody help me?

thanks a lot Tom

IMG_4450.MOV

Hello all,

for first thanks a lot for your hard work on xpenology, its awesom. I have problem with updating from 5.2 to 6.1.x.

I have GIGABYTE GA-656P-S3 motherboard and Intel core i3-4130. I try to use Juns loader and genesis loader (MBR) but in both way i cant boot. Everything stop after all "setup" screens.. please check attached video.

Can somebody help me?

thanks a lot Tom

Define what "setup screens" means please. Your video doesn't seem to go until the end of what you describe.

I don't even see the loader booting there so you might want to configure your Bios to boot from the USB as first drive.

Dear Polanskiman,

thanks for helping!

Setup screens mean all info screen in video from begining till the end of this video. And video is till the end, the screen what you can see in the end of this video is final screen what i can see if i use new flashdisk (with new loader). But if i use old flashdriver with old loader and synology 5.2, booting works well. Because this i think that setup of usb as first drive is right in this machine. Maybe i need setup something else in bios. If you will be so nice, please see my bios setup in attachemet. 

Thanks for your time! Tom

IMG_4461.JPGIMG_4462.JPG

IMG_4463.JPGIMG_4464.JPG

IMG_4465.JPG

Polanskiman,

i tried it again. I tried boot with my new usb flasdriver in my personal computer and it works normaly.... So it looks like that maybe motherboard what i have now in my xpenology (GIGABYTE GA-656P-S3) doesnt work with new loader... 

Hi !

I made the upgrade on my  HP  Gen8.  Operation was successful , but on second shutdown the DSM failed to start . On the connected monitor i had the "Booting the kernel" message . Keyboard input was useless so i had to force shutdown the system and restart. This happened a few times until i got a successful start of DSM. 

Each time i shutdown the system this happens. Any idea how to debug this ? I have to access to console once Grub menu has made the selection. DSM logs do not reveal anything from that part.

Any help is appreciated.

Tnx and best regards,

Bogdan

55 minutes ago, apostub said:

Hi !

I made the upgrade on my  HP  Gen8.  Operation was successful , but on second shutdown the DSM failed to start . On the connected monitor i had the "Booting the kernel" message . Keyboard input was useless so i had to force shutdown the system and restart. This happened a few times until i got a successful start of DSM. 

Each time i shutdown the system this happens. Any idea how to debug this ? I have to access to console once Grub menu has made the selection. DSM logs do not reveal anything from that part.

Any help is appreciated.

Tnx and best regards,

Bogdan

Does this happen with a soft boot, hard boot or both?

I think your best option might be to attach a serial connection to check the full driver load/boot process, you can see any errors to help debugging

Is this able to be performed on a QNAP using Virtualization Station. I have 5.2 running already, but it is empty so I can delete it or not, makes no difference, but just wondering if I can install the 6.1.4 instead of 5.2. I am just not finding an .iso to boot from nor do I know which setting to use to create one for the QNAP.

Please advise

On 14/09/2017 at 10:50 PM, Dfds said:

@gb77 jun's 1.02b loader definitely works with the N40L, as Polanskiman says just disable C1E support in the bios, reboot & upgrade to 6.1.3. After the install finishes you'll get an update notice saying that update 4 is available, you can go ahead & apply it but be warned it will reboot your system again.

fell into that trap as well Disabled C1E and up it came

THANKS

On 3. 1. 2018 at 1:49 AM, Polanskiman said:

I think that motherboard is quite old and might not be able to read GPT. Try using Genesys’ loader as I mention in the OP which IS MBR based.

thanks, i try it with GPT even with MBR but both doesnt work :(... So maybe this motherboard is not supported...?

12 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

Looking at the specs of that board I noticed it's AMD based. Read the OP in that regard.

Thanks for your afford! You mean disable C1E? If yes i tried it, but still same :(.. I tried to enable/disable some another thing in bios, but withnout any success. So i did already about 100 reboot :D....

But its no problem, now i will stay with old DSM and maybe i will buy new motherboard or maybe original NAS from synology. But again big thanks for your help!

Meybe next version of loader will work if it will be new version of loader sometime.... :)

Hi, 

I'm currently running DS3615xs 6.0.2 with V1.01 on a Gen 8 Microserver. A few questions;

1. Which tutorial do I need to be following to update to the latest loader / DSM?

2. Can I go from 3615 to 916+ and is there any reason I should or should I just stick with 3615?

Thanks

18 hours ago, oakey said:

Hi, 

I'm currently running DS3615xs 6.0.2 with V1.01 on a Gen 8 Microserver. A few questions;

1. Which tutorial do I need to be following to update to the latest loader / DSM?

2. Can I go from 3615 to 916+ and is there any reason I should or should I just stick with 3615?

Thanks

Read the OP. First paragraph. It's all there!

Stay with 3615xs.

17 hours ago, oakey said:

Thanks Polanskiman, I follow this link:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7857-how-to-update-juns-loader/?tab=comments#comment-75881

And step 5 says see your sig for links but there aren't any?

Anyway, I think I know what's needed to be done. 

Indeed. Corrected. See the post again.

I've tried the above tutorial but I have been unable to upgrade from DSM 5.2-5967 to 6.1.x using either :

DS3617xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.img

or

DS3617xs_DSM6.1_JunsMod_V1.02b_MBR_Genesys.img

The 2 above bootloaders simply won't boot.  I'm using a DV6 6053ea laptop (Intel, 4+years old), There is no option to disable C1E in the BIOS. I have entered VID, PID, Mac address and tried a few different serial numbers -  Nothing comes up on the screen. 

Only 

XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5967.1.img   will boot.

What do you think the problem is ? 

I've tried the above tutorial but I have been unable to upgrade from DSM 5.2-5967 to 6.1.x using either :

DS3617xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.img

or

DS3617xs_DSM6.1_JunsMod_V1.02b_MBR_Genesys.img

The 2 above bootloaders simply won't boot.  I'm using a DV6 6053ea laptop (Intel, 4+years old), There is no option to disable C1E in the BIOS. I have entered VID, PID, Mac address and tried a few different serial numbers -  Nothing comes up on the screen. 

Only 

XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5967.1.img   will boot.

What do you think the problem is ? 

The boot loader display is different for XPE6.x, check the FAQ for more info.

Does DS Assistant find the device?

The boot loader display is different for XPE6.x, check the FAQ for more info.

Does DS Assistant find the device?

Yes DS Assistant still finds the device. 

I'm trying to upgrade to DSM 6.X via the control panel but its stuck on 22% Preparing.  Only option is to refresh the window.

I will check the FAQ but I think it might be a hardware issue.

Yes DS Assistant still finds the device. 

I'm trying to upgrade to DSM 6.X via the control panel but its stuck on 22% Preparing.  Only option is to refresh the window.

I will check the FAQ but I think it might be a hardware issue.

Try the 3615 loader, also check v carefully the vid pid

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk