XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

On 11/11/2017 at 1:20 PM, Polanskiman said:

Did you try putting back the old usb stick to check that it works?

Hi, yes, and after a few rebbots also with the new one... And as I migrated my HDD's from a HPN54L to a Gen8, I even made it works on a SD card, the tough part is to find the VID & PID of the card, not as easy as with USB, but finally managed to do it with USB Devices View...

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2017 at 6:06 AM, mike118118 said:

Im getting stuck with my n54l on the update in synology web assistant, loader works fine but im getting error when trying to install 15152 pat file, it says you have to use an installation file of 15217 or later. Any ideas?

Yes ideas. That's because you already installed (or tried to install 6.1.4 -15217) and now you are trying to feed the web assistant with 6.1.3-15152. Use the proper .pat file. Downgrade is not possible through the official means.

On 12/7/2017 at 4:10 AM, Polanskiman said:

Yes ideas. That's because you already installed (or tried to install 6.1.4 -15217) and now you are trying to feed the web assistant with 6.1.3-15152. Use the proper .pat file. Downgrade is not possible through the official means.

Yeah is all working now thanks. I'm on DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 1,  is it ok to update to update 2?

First of all thank Polanskiman and Juns.

I inform that several Nas with the following configuration, working 100%.

Asrock Q1900-ITX

1 Volume with 3 Western Digital Red 3TB

All by default you only have to change VID, PID, SN and mac1

Asrock N3700-ITX or also called ASRock 90-MXGYM0-A0UAYZ

1 Volume with 4 Western Digital Red 5TB
2 Volume with 2 Seagete 1 TB (Tests)
You have to change VID, PID, SN and mac1.
And very important SataPortMap = 22
On this motherboard there are 2 SATA chips from the motherboard, 1 chip for every 2 ports.

And Sata controllers 100% compatible, in case someone needs one.
Syba SI-PEX40064 4 Port SATA III PCI-e 2.0 x1
Chipset: Marvell 88SE9215
https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00AZ9T3OU/

In my case I had to put:
SataPortMap=224

:P

• Like 2

Hi guys,

I'm new to the XPenology, please, bear with me.

I've tried to install XPenology on 2 computers. Tried DS3615xs and DS3617xs using latest Jun loader v1.02b.

- mac mini 2014 (Intel Core i5)

- custom PC (intel 2 duo)

The installation process happens, but after first restart it shows nothing... While starting no CPU power is used (the "bulb" doesnt blink).

I've checked, files were indeed installed on HDD. It seems the computer doesn't know from where to start...

Can you, please, help me fixing it?

P.S. Everything was done according to the tutorial.

Changed PID, VID and SN, even MAC. Manual DSM installation 6.1.4 (15217).

10 hours ago, Milamber said:

Hi guys,

I'm new to the XPenology, please, bear with me.

I've tried to install XPenology on 2 computers. Tried DS3615xs and DS3617xs using latest Jun loader v1.02b.

- mac mini 2014 (Intel Core i5)

- custom PC (intel 2 duo)

The installation process happens, but after first restart it shows nothing... While starting no CPU power is used (the "bulb" doesnt blink).

I've checked, files were indeed installed on HDD. It seems the computer doesn't know from where to start...

Can you, please, help me fixing it?

P.S. Everything was done according to the tutorial.

Changed PID, VID and SN, even MAC. Manual DSM installation 6.1.4 (15217).

Please provide hardware information specially the custom pc where you did not give any information other than the cpu.

Also please be more detailed in your explanation. What does:

The installation process happens, but after first restart it shows nothing

mean?

Don't you see anything onscreen? If that's the case then it means the usb is not even booting so you might need to check in the bios if the USB is set as the primary boot drive.

And let's take one computer at a time. Every machine is different and has different components so each have different solutions.

Good day, Polanski and fellow Xpeno users!

I'm currently wanting to update my Baremetal Xpenology to the latest (and greatest DSM 6.1.4) but i've a few concerns.

1) On the first page of this guide, you mentioned the following:

On 9/12/2017 at 6:59 PM, Polanskiman said:

To upgrade from DSM 6.0.2 to DSM 6.1.4 read here.

On clicking it, it jumps to post #2 (which i believe is as intended) listing the steps required to update BUT the post actually states DSM 6.1.3.

Would that just means that instead of preparing PAT 6.1.3, i prepare PAT 6.1.4 and proceed as per listed guide?

2) In the event if the upgrade fails for whatsoever reason, simply plugging in the old USB which contains my current DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 11, will bring me back to day 1 as per normal with data intact?

-a) my data is roughly about 22TB in total and therefore i'm concerned about losing them. :P

3) As i'm currently on Jun's Loader 1.0.2a and DS3615xs, and your guide states to utilise Loader 1.02b,

-a) may I change to DS3617xs or i would still need to stick to DS3617xs?

-b) or, may i choose instead DS916+ since I'm on the AsRock N3150 itx mobo (Braswell, i believe)?

Edited by SyncGuy
additional question

40 minutes ago, SyncGuy said:

1) On the first page of this guide, you mentioned the following:

On clicking it, it jumps to post #2 (which i believe is as intended) listing the steps required to update BUT the post actually states DSM 6.1.3.

Would that just means that instead of preparing PAT 6.1.3, i prepare PAT 6.1.4 and proceed as per listed guide?

Thanks for pointing out this discrepancy, I overlooked this. I will update that post. That post was made prior to DSM 6.1.4 thus why it says DSM 6..1.3. The procedure still applies the same and yes you need to use DSM 6.1.4 PAT fie instead. Make sure your NIC and disk controller modules are included. Try using the custom extra.lzma ramdisk if your box is not recognised on the network or disks are unavailable.

2) In the event if the upgrade fails for whatsoever reason, simply plugging in the old USB which contains my current DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 11, will bring me back to day 1 as per normal with data intact?

-a) my data is roughly about 22TB in total and therefore i'm concerned about losing them. :P

As long as DSM 6.1.4 is not installed yes you can use your old USB key with v1.02a and it will boot as before with DSM 6.0.2. If the installation go through but fails somewhere it won't be possible as DSM 6.1.4 will be installed on the hard drives.

No matter what, your data should not be at risk even on a failed installation because personal data is on a separate partition and it can be accessed through a live ubuntu USB and the partition mounted. I made a tutorial on that as well. Search and you shall find.

3) As i'm currently on Jun's Loader 1.0.2a and DS3615xs, and your guide states to utilise Loader 1.02b,

-a) may I change to DS3617xs or i would still need to stick to DS3617xs?

-b) or, may i choose instead DS916+ since I'm on the AsRock N3150 itx mobo (Braswell, i believe)?

I am not a fan of changing loaders versions like that on a working installation. As the proverb goes: 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' I think it is always better to do a clean install with the loader you wish. I know some people have done it and it seems to work but personally I would never do that as a precautionary measure.

1 hour ago, Polanskiman said:

Thanks for pointing out this discrepancy, I overlooked this. I will update that post. That post was made prior to DSM 6.1.4 thus why it says DSM 6..1.3. The procedure still applies the same and yes you need to use DSM 6.1.4 PAT fie instead. Make sure your NIC and disk controller modules are included. Try using the custom extra.lzma ramdisk if your box is not recognised on the network or disks are unavailable.

Hmm... I think i'm all fine in this aspect as i did deploy my Google-fu and came across threads of users who have similar board as mind (AsRock N3150 ITX) installed DSM 6.1.4 with nil issues. Keeping my fingers crossed still though as we all know that the universe can throw a curveball in our way. LoL!

As long as DSM 6.1.4 is not installed yes you can use your old USB key with v1.02a and it will boot as before with DSM 6.0.2. If the installation go through but fails somewhere it won't be possible as DSM 6.1.4 will be installed on the hard drives.

No matter what, your data should not be at risk even on a failed installation because personal data is on a separate partition and it can be accessed through a live ubuntu USB and the partition mounted. I made a tutorial on that as well. Search and you shall find.

I read about this too but I couldn't find any actual evidence if this works for a RAID 5 volume.. Do you happen to have any experience in any way?

I am not a fan of changing loaders versions like that on a working installation. As the proverb goes: 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' I think it is always better to do a clean install with the loader you wish. I know some people have done it and it seems to work but personally I would never do that as a precautionary measure.

Same here! High five!

Problem is, my data is much too big and therefore not feasible to have them backed up, prior to a clean installation. :(
I'll mull over it for a bit to see if I would wanna take the risk and go ahead.

I am not a fan of changing loaders versions like that on a working installation

Having said that, I think i had started on the wrong foot: I believe you had meant to refer the "loader" as the image (DS3615xs, DX3617xs, DS916+) instead of the loader (v1.02b), right?

Coz the guide on the other thread mentioned just utilising loader 1.02b from v1.02a, right?

Apologies for the many questions as I'm seeking to clarify certain points prior to making my decision; I believe my points are all valid, in the sense that it has not been mentioned elsewhere so far, I hope. Truly sorry if this isn't so...

@SyncGuy Yes should work for RAID 5 as well. Read the tutorial I made as well as the Synology reference at the end of the tutorial.

1 hour ago, SyncGuy said:

Having said that, I think i had started on the wrong foot: I believe you had meant to refer the "loader" as the image (DS3615xs, DX3617xs, DS916+) instead of the loader (v1.02b), right?

Coz the guide on the other thread mentioned just utilising loader 1.02b from v1.02a, right?

Yes loader as image. I used the word 'version' but that was inaccurate indeed. I should have said 'loader model'.

Polanskiman, thank you so much for creating this tutorial! I have been using XPenology as my main server OS for a couple of years now. Once I get my backup server online, I will try update 5.

Here is my hardware:

CPU: Xeon E3 1230 v2

Mobo: ASUS P8C WS

Onboard LAN: Intel 82574L

RAM: 16GB non-ECC (I don't remember the model of the 2 sticks in use)

PCIe Sata: HighPoint 600 Lite Series Rocket 640L (80% sure this is the card I am using. If not, it was some other cheap PCIe card)

HDDs: 7x HGST 4TB & 2x Seagate 3TB (no hardware RAID in use)

I will probably upgrade as soon as Intel releases their next generation of CPUs or, maybe I'll grab an i9. I would like to build a 4K Plex server since this current hardware will only support 1080p transcodes.

20 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

@SyncGuy Yes should work for RAID 5 as well. Read the tutorial I made as well as the Synology reference at the end of the tutorial.

Yes loader as image. I used the word 'version' but that was inaccurate indeed. I should have said 'loader model'.

Alright... Thank you so much! I will mull over it for a few days and will decide if I should just go ahead with the change from DS3615xs to DS916+ for the DSM 6.1.4.....

*gulps*

Or just stick with DS3615xs for the upgrade.

Will report back my decision and if it goes smoothly....

Hi everyone, 

firstly my apologies ignorance if my questions seems basic as I am totally new to this...

I have a spare Acer Ferrari Netbook I wanted to utilise as some sort of NAS server and came across Xpenology

I followed this instructions on many different sites including where and created the boot loader(6.x.x Loader)  V1.02v for DSM 6.1 via the iso file  on a USB drive 

I used both RUFUS and  Win32diskimager to create to the bootable disk...

I booted it Acer up and all seems fine but when I try to find the Acer via the Synology Assistant .. it doesn't seem to exist..  I'm presumed the Ethernet is either not working or a cable issue..

changed the cable still no luck.. I loaded another Linux distro (turnkeyLinux - easy to install and quick) and was able to access this laptop ping etc... so I was thinking its a compatibility issue with the laptop..

the Model is a Acer Ferrari One FO200-314G32n

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 L310 / 1.2 GHz

Mainboard chipset: AMD M780G

Ethernet Chipset: Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)

RAM: 4GB DDR2 SDRAM

I have even tried to access the grub.cfg and set the set vid and pid that is associated with the USB device.. booted up like normal but still cant find the server via assistant.

so my assumption is that the Ethernet is not supported?

can some one shed some light or help me installing this .. as I said .. I'm a fresh Noob and have limited knowledge ...

many thanks from now

regards..

P.s for got to mention... wish all of you a very merry Christmas and a happy new year...

Edited by Caos

Hello & Merry Christmas,

I have been having troubles trying to get Jun's 1.02b loader working with my Thecus N5550. I've followed @Polanskiman guide here and added the additional drivers by @IG-88 here for good measure. I checked the NIC driver list, and 82574 is listed, however it doesn't list WG82574L (see system specs below). The grub boot menu appears, though I am unable to find the NAS in the sinology assistance app. Any help would be appreciated!

It has the following specs: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/31867-thecus-n5550-nas-server-reviewed

CPU: Intel Atom D2550 @ 1.86 GHz

RAM: 2 GB DDR3 DIMM (upgraded to 8GB)

Ethernet: Intel WG82574L (x2)

USB 3.0: NEC D720200AF

Audio: Realtek ALC262 2+2 HD Audio Codec

SATA: Silicon Image SiI3132 SATALink PCI Express to 2-Port Serial ATA II Host Controller

I/O: ITE8728F Super I/O

Video: Chrontel CH7318 HDMI level shifter

On 12/24/2017 at 6:32 PM, Caos said:

Hi everyone, 

firstly my apologies ignorance if my questions seems basic as I am totally new to this...

I have a spare Acer Ferrari Netbook I wanted to utilise as some sort of NAS server and came across Xpenology

I followed this instructions on many different sites including where and created the boot loader(6.x.x Loader)  V1.02v for DSM 6.1 via the iso file  on a USB drive 

I used both RUFUS and  Win32diskimager to create to the bootable disk...

I booted it Acer up and all seems fine but when I try to find the Acer via the Synology Assistant .. it doesn't seem to exist..  I'm presumed the Ethernet is either not working or a cable issue..

changed the cable still no luck.. I loaded another Linux distro (turnkeyLinux - easy to install and quick) and was able to access this laptop ping etc... so I was thinking its a compatibility issue with the laptop..

the Model is a Acer Ferrari One FO200-314G32n

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 L310 / 1.2 GHz

Mainboard chipset: AMD M780G

Ethernet Chipset: Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)

RAM: 4GB DDR2 SDRAM

I have even tried to access the grub.cfg and set the set vid and pid that is associated with the USB device.. booted up like normal but still cant find the server via assistant.

so my assumption is that the Ethernet is not supported?

can some one shed some light or help me installing this .. as I said .. I'm a fresh Noob and have limited knowledge ...

many thanks from now

regards..

P.s for got to mention... wish all of you a very merry Christmas and a happy new year...

I moved your post here.

To start answering your question I think you should start by reading the tutorial. This will probably answer your question and at the same time give your more information on how all this works.

On 12/24/2017 at 7:52 PM, iceman32crx said:

Hello & Merry Christmas,

I have been having troubles trying to get Jun's 1.02b loader working with my Thecus N5550. I've followed @Polanskiman guide here and added the additional drivers by @IG-88 here for good measure. I checked the NIC driver list, and 82574 is listed, however it doesn't list WG82574L (see system specs below). The grub boot menu appears, though I am unable to find the NAS in the sinology assistance app. Any help would be appreciated!

It has the following specs: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/31867-thecus-n5550-nas-server-reviewed

CPU: Intel Atom D2550 @ 1.86 GHz

RAM: 2 GB DDR3 DIMM (upgraded to 8GB)

Ethernet: Intel WG82574L (x2)

USB 3.0: NEC D720200AF

Audio: Realtek ALC262 2+2 HD Audio Codec

SATA: Silicon Image SiI3132 SATALink PCI Express to 2-Port Serial ATA II Host Controller

I/O: ITE8728F Super I/O

Video: Chrontel CH7318 HDMI level shifter

I moved your post here as well.

Try changing NIC ports. It might be that only one port is active during install and you are using the inactive one.

If that doesn't work then try resetting the bios and if you were doing a fresh install format the drives then try from scratch. Make sure vid/pid/MAC are correct and use the custom ramdisk as the module you need is the e1000e.ko which is part of that ramdisk.

Please report back.

8 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

I moved your post here as well.

Try changing NIC ports. It might be that only one port is active during install and you are using the inactive one.

If that doesn't work then try resetting the bios and if you were doing a fresh install format the drives then try from scratch. Make sure vid/pid/MAC are correct and use the custom ramdisk as the module you need is the e1000e.ko which is part of that ramdisk.

Please report back.

Thanks for getting back, but I tried both NIC ports during my testing. I also tried different config file versions where I added both NICs MAC addresses, and also versions with each MAC individually. I checked the  VID/PID/MAC IDs as well, several times.

I don’t like the idea of wiping my current data as I was trying to migrate, so I’ll keep testing other ideas first. I was using the SN from my current build, so I may try to generate a new one and try again after. Also, I noticed the disks weren’t spinning up like they usually do, so I’m thinking it may not be just the NIC drivers. I don't have a HDD in the SATA 0 slot due to it being an internal 1GB internal Disk On Module (DOM) that I removed. HDDs are in SATA 1-4 slots. 

Thanks for for the help again, I’ll test some more this weekend!

Thank you for the excellent tutorial. For the best part of the year, I've been running VM running DSM 5.2-5967.

I decided to run barebone fresh installation of this (DSM 6.1.4-15217 update 1) on a spare HP N36L Microserver. Everything works fine until the system is given a static IP and the system is restarted. I cant access the system via webgui, ssh or telnet - ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED. Re-installing/migrating the system with DHCP IP (192.168.1.49) works fine even after system restart.   

IP: 192.168.1.7

SM: 255.255.255.0

GW: 192.168.1.1

DNS: 192.168.1.1

It certainly not the way I'm setting the IP address :) it's a spare unused IP address. I've compared it to the VM build and its similar except the IP address (192.168.1.6). I suppose I can bind the IP address via the router but really want to fix this issue before moving data. Any ideas...