XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

Hi all,

I have a DSM 6.1.3 update 8 running prefectly on a HP Gen 8, thanks to Jun and &, but I have a question:

I did the install with an old USB key I had, and I'd like to change it for another one.

With the new key, the loader boots fine, I see a bit of HDD activity, and it stops there.

Should I reinstall with the new key ? or is there a way around it ?

Thanks !

Thanks for the tutorial. Quick question before I boot my usb. Which .img file should I use? The loader link that says synoboot.img or the mirror file named DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.img. Are they the same loader just with different names? Want to make sure Im using the right file before migrating. 

5 hours ago, ybogva said:

Hi all,

I have a DSM 6.1.3 update 8 running prefectly on a HP Gen 8, thanks to Jun and &, but I have a question:

I did the install with an old USB key I had, and I'd like to change it for another one.

With the new key, the loader boots fine, I see a bit of HDD activity, and it stops there.

Should I reinstall with the new key ? or is there a way around it ?

Thanks !

Your nas is not faster with newer usb stick, so there is no reason at all for a change.

The usb stick boots the loader.

When you want to try other stick, check vid and pid of the stick an adjust the config. 

Then it should work. Reinstall is not necessary. 

On 11/6/2017 at 7:16 PM, Dfds said:

Essentially yes, when you remove the 500gb the array will degrade, add the 4tb DSM should see the new disk & expand the array. Once complete you should be able to change the raid type to shr-2 with the spare 4tb disk.

Yeah, this worked. My array is now in the process of becoming an SHR-2 array. Awesome, thanks a bunch

5 hours ago, jl2222 said:

Thanks for the tutorial. Quick question before I boot my usb. Which .img file should I use? The loader link that says synoboot.img or the mirror file named DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.img. Are they the same loader just with different names? Want to make sure Im using the right file before migrating. 

Yes same file. You can compare md5 you will see. I simply renamed it in the mirror to make it more explicit and avoid people confusion when they downloaded several images. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nevusZ said:

Your nas is not faster with newer usb stick, so there is no reason at all for a change.

The usb stick boots the loader.

When you want to try other stick, check vid and pid of the stick an adjust the config. 

Then it should work. Reinstall is not necessary. 

Hi, it's not to make it 'faster', it's just to use a really small stick, so it's not too protruding from the back of the HP (I use the internal USB for the DVD, as I used it's SATA for a fifth disk)

I tried vith the correct VID/PID of the new drive, the loader boots, but not the DSM from the HDD...

45 minutes ago, ybogva said:

Hi, it's not to make it 'faster', it's just to use a really small stick, so it's not too protruding from the back of the HP (I use the internal USB for the DVD, as I used it's SATA for a fifth disk)

I tried vith the correct VID/PID of the new drive, the loader boots, but not the DSM from the HDD...

Did you try putting back the old usb stick to check that it works?

I keep getting error 13 corrupted pat file, and wondered if anyone can suggest a solution? I have an HP gen8 microserver, in AHCI mode for the disks. I have prepared the USB as instructed, including setting pid, vid, Mac and sn. I have checked the md5 on the .pat file. I have tried 3 different USB sticks. I have tried letting the installer download the .pat file,from Synology. But, every time I get error 13. Thanks.

I cant seem to get this tutorial to work no matter what I do. I edit the grub file with the correct information, PID, VID, etc. Plug it in and boot from USB. From here I can find my diskstation and install the PAT file successfully. Computer then reboots and I wait the 10 minutes on the synology website and after it counts all the way down I get a warning saying synology unit can not be found. I cant find it using the assistant app either. Tried rebooting and still cant find the unit after what seems like a successful install.

My Specs:

Asrock H97M-ITX/ac motherboard w/ i3 1150

Qualcomm Atheros AR8171 NIC

As far I can tell all of the drivers I need should be included in the default img file ramdisk. Is there something I need to do in the router settings to get it to connect?

Additional Information: Previously I had 5.2 running but after a failed migration I was forced to try clean install DSM. So far I am getting the same exact issue where I cant find the synology device after the PAT file is installed. I have also tried using a different USB stick and different install files just in case I had a bad download all still with the same issue. Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated. Thanks 

On 11/12/2017 at 7:29 PM, Pixor said:

I keep getting error 13 corrupted pat file, and wondered if anyone can suggest a solution? I have an HP gen8 microserver, in AHCI mode for the disks. I have prepared the USB as instructed, including setting pid, vid, Mac and sn. I have checked the md5 on the .pat file. I have tried 3 different USB sticks. I have tried letting the installer download the .pat file,from Synology. But, every time I get error 13. Thanks.

As a test, leave the sn and mac as the defaults in the grub file and just edit the usb vid/pid

I've got error 13 and install stops at ~56% with an edited sn and mac but works ok with the grub default. Once you have DSM installed you can edit the sn/mac to your numbers

2 hours ago, jl2222 said:

I cant seem to get this tutorial to work no matter what I do. I edit the grub file with the correct information, PID, VID, etc. Plug it in and boot from USB. From here I can find my diskstation and install the PAT file successfully. Computer then reboots and I wait the 10 minutes on the synology website and after it counts all the way down I get a warning saying synology unit can not be found. I cant find it using the assistant app either. Tried rebooting and still cant find the unit after what seems like a successful install.

My Specs:

Asrock H97M-ITX/ac motherboard w/ i3 1150

Qualcomm Atheros AR8171 NIC

As far I can tell all of the drivers I need should be included in the default img file ramdisk. Is there something I need to do in the router settings to get it to connect?

Additional Information: Previously I had 5.2 running but after a failed migration I was forced to try clean install DSM. So far I am getting the same exact issue where I cant find the synology device after the PAT file is installed. I have also tried using a different USB stick and different install files just in case I had a bad download all still with the same issue. Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated. Thanks 

its possible your nic driver is being changed when DSM installs, you could check the nic driver status at boot with a serial connection or try the extended extra.lzma from IG-88, which 'updates' into DSM several modules/drivers.

48 minutes ago, sbv3000 said:

its possible your nic driver is being changed when DSM installs, you could check the nic driver status at boot with a serial connection or try the extended extra.lzma from IG-88, which 'updates' into DSM several modules/drivers.

Thanks Ill give it a go. I think you are right because I was briefly able to see the device in my router settings with what I believe was a different MAC address. I know it was the device because I powered it off too see if it went away and it did. Of coarse now I can no longer get it to appear again. Going to try and use the extra.lzma from IG-88 and see if that does the trick. I am aware I need to replace it in Partition 1 do I need to edit any additional lines in the grub file to use the alternate extra.lzma driver file?

Anyway we can check what's going on with the console like with 5.2 version? I have migrated my degraded raid volume from 5.2 to 6.1 but I couldn't check what the status currently is after rebooting for  file system check. Any advise? Im running esxi

Edited by ridney

3 hours ago, ridney said:

Anyway we can check what's going on with the console like with 5.2 version? I have migrated my degraded raid volume from 5.2 to 6.1 but I couldn't check what the status currently is after rebooting for  file system check. Any advise? Im running esxi

The boot output similar to 5.2 is available through a serial port and use Putty/Telnet or similar to view the logs, so I guess you would need to create a virtual port in your VM and connect via the mobo or a virtual connection. The serial settings that worked for me (on a bare metal) are Speed=115200 Data bits=8 Stop bit=1 Flow =none Parity=none

8 hours ago, jl2222 said:

Thanks Ill give it a go. I think you are right because I was briefly able to see the device in my router settings with what I believe was a different MAC address. I know it was the device because I powered it off too see if it went away and it did. Of coarse now I can no longer get it to appear again. Going to try and use the extra.lzma from IG-88 and see if that does the trick. I am aware I need to replace it in Partition 1 do I need to edit any additional lines in the grub file to use the alternate extra.lzma driver file?

the default grub entry is 'extra.lzma' so no need to edit it further, just put the file in the correct folder/partition, rename the previous one of course

Thank you so much for this post. I'm a little late getting into setting up a NAS but glad I looked around before just purchasing one. I had an old HP Pavilion A6412p which is just a Dual Core Pentium with 3gb ram just collecting dust. I added some extra ram, installed two 3 TB Red NAS drives, put the loader on a USB stick threw it in the computer and booted. It installed right away no fuss no muss then manual installed the DSM and it has worked perfectly. It was so simple and having all this storage and Plex Media Server, Photo Station, Cloud Backup of important files is just amazing. You guys rock!

On 11/16/2017 at 1:41 AM, sbv3000 said:

the default grub entry is 'extra.lzma' so no need to edit it further, just put the file in the correct folder/partition, rename the previous one of course

So I still was not able to find my device after the install was complete unfortunately. Tried the new ram disk but that didnt do the trick. Unfortunately my motherboard doesn't have a serial connection port on it so not sure how to produce this information. I have an extra copy of Windows 7 laying around. I am considerig installing Windows to a SSD and loading up xpenology as a Virtual machine using VMware player. My question is will I run into the same issue with VMware as I am having now or are the linux drivers more expansive in the VMware software? Also does anyone know how big of a performance drop it will have on the server?

11 minutes ago, jl2222 said:

So I still was not able to find my device after the install was complete unfortunately. Tried the new ram disk but that didnt do the trick. Unfortunately my motherboard doesn't have a serial connection port on it so not sure how to produce this information. I have an extra copy of Windows 7 laying around. I am considerig installing Windows to a SSD and loading up xpenology as a Virtual machine using VMware player. My question is will I run into the same issue with VMware as I am having now or are the linux drivers more expansive in the VMware software? Also does anyone know how big of a performance drop it will have on the server?

If you're thinking about going virtual I'd try ESXi rather than Win7 & VM Player, plenty of people use it very successfully with DSM.

27 minutes ago, Dfds said:

If you're thinking about going virtual I'd try ESXi rather than Win7 & VM Player, plenty of people use it very successfully with DSM.

Thanks for the tip Ill look into it although Im a little confused. Doesn't ESXi need to be installed on an OS like windows in order to run? I was trying to find a free solution which is why I was looking at VMware Player.

2 hours ago, jl2222 said:

Thanks for the tip Ill look into it although Im a little confused. Doesn't ESXi need to be installed on an OS like windows in order to run? I was trying to find a free solution which is why I was looking at VMware Player.

No, EXSi is the OS.