XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

34 minutes ago, b0fh said:

And do you have SHR enabled in synoinfo.conf?  It will certainly "import" existing SHR volumes, but I am not sure you can make any changes without it enabled.

I guess not.  A quick google search found that I need to ssh and then sudo vi and comment out  supportraidgroup="yes" and add

support_syno_hybrid_raid = "yes". Just did it.

Damn, now upon reboot,  my DSM is asking to reinstall/migrate. Is this normal? Should I proceed with installing/migrating again?

Edited by undecided
I found it.

39 minutes ago, undecided said:

I guess not.  A quick google search found that I need to ssh and then sudo vi and comment out  supportraidgroup="yes" and add

support_syno_hybrid_raid = "yes". Just did it.

Damn, now upon reboot,  my DSM is asking to reinstall/migrate. Is this normal? Should I proceed with installing/migrating again?

So, I reinstalled but I still don't see the option to 'Change Raid Type'

From Synology website:

SHR-1 with the following disk configurations may require two additional disks when changing to SHR-2:

There are only two disks.

All disks have different capacities.

Three or more disks in the RAID Array contain a pair of higher-capacity disks compared to the other disks in the RAID Array.

what disk configuration do you have?

7 minutes ago, Dfds said:

From Synology website:

SHR-1 with the following disk configurations may require two additional disks when changing to SHR-2:

There are only two disks.

All disks have different capacities.

Three or more disks in the RAID Array contain a pair of higher-capacity disks compared to the other disks in the RAID Array.

what disk configuration do you have?

Disk 1: 1.8TB 

Disk 3: 2.7TB

Disk 5: 2.7TB

Disk 6: 3.6TB

Disk 7: (Not initialized, reserved for upgrade to SHR-2) 3.6TB

Disk 8: 3.6TB

Disk 9: 2.7TB

Disk 10: 466GB

The shitty part is that right after the 6.1 upgrade I 'initialized' Disk 8 which was previously unused as well.

11 minutes ago, Dfds said:

If you're array is ok why not swap the 500gb disk for a 4tb, let the array rebuild then change to shr-2. I'm assuming that you have backups  of all your important files while you're doing this of course.

Yeah, data is backed up. Why would the swap from 500GB to 4TB allow me to change to shr-2? It would go from

Disk 10: 466GB

to

Disk 10: 3.6TB

Still 3 different sizes of drives. 

Edited by undecided

1 hour ago, repulse said:

And that's what i've done. Without success.

did you edit the grub file with the image open in ofsmount, or after you had burned the image to the usb and edited it there. I've found that depending on how the edit is done the file can get 'corrupted' so its not 'read' properly. 

4 minutes ago, sbv3000 said:

did you edit the grub file with the image open in ofsmount, or after you had burned the image to the usb and edited it there. I've found that depending on how the edit is done the file can get 'corrupted' so its not 'read' properly. 

I edited it the osfmount way. When at home, i can post my grub.cfg file to see what's wrong with it.

Edited by repulse

Here is my grub.cfg file content, and where i placed rmmod=ata_piix

[...]

set extra_initrd="extra.lzma"
set info="info.txt"

set vid=0x058f
set pid=0x6387
set sn=1130LWN016936
set mac1=b05ada87ff78
set mac2=b05ada87ff79
set rootdev=/dev/md0
set netif_num=1
set extra_args_3615=''

set common_args_3615='syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 HddHotplug=0 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs vender_format_version=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 withefi elevator=elevator quiet syno_port_thaw=1'

set sata_args='sata_uid=1 sata_pcislot=5 synoboot_satadom=1 DiskIdxMap=0C SataPortMap=1 SasIdxMap=0 rmmod=ata_piix'

set default='0'
set timeout='4'
set fallback='1'

[...]

On 11/2/2017 at 11:48 PM, b0fh said:

One additional note, my system is reporting <4gb ram available but has 8gb in it.  It reported all 8gb before the upgrade, but is now only reporting something like 3.5gb, like it defaulted back to x86 from x64, but it is still showing x86_64 in the kernel (uname -a).  No biggie as I am hoping to retire this server soon (move to a VM), but thought I would report it.  Sorry for spamming up the thread.

Answer:

DFds  to get rid of the 500gb disk , i dont think you have to degrade your array , just tell dsm that you want to don't want use that disk and it will migrate everything off .

dsm -- storage manager --volume--"remove" 500Gb disk .. should be quick (assumes you have enough space on other disks for the moved data)

I dont know whether its this simple in shr-1 ?

4 minutes ago, kATABATIC said:

DFds  to get rid of the 500gb disk , i dont think you have to degrade your array , just tell dsm that you want to don't want use that disk and it will migrate everything off .

dsm -- storage manager --volume--"remove" 500Gb disk .. should be quick (assumes you have enough space on other disks for the moved data)

I dont know whether its this simple in shr-1 ?

Did you read my message just above?