XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

2 hours ago, IG-88 said:

if you google your error you get this as first hit

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/General/What_can_I_do_when_I_get_the_error_message_quot_Failed_to_format_disk_quot_when_formatting_data_partition_during_the_setup

meaning is there are partitions on the disk in question and it will not install

create a new scsi disk and try with it

Hi IG-88, thanks for jumping in. I had already tried good old Google and several other tricks to make it work before reaching out here. The synoboot.vmdk file that I am using as "Existing hard disk" is nothing but the text file (attached) renamed. So not sure how your Google suggestion can help in this situation. 

synoboot.txt

6 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

i was not talking about the boot image

did you add additional scsi disks?

i dont use esxi but afair the boot image is just for the loader same as the usb stick on bare metal

sata for bootimage, scsi for raid disks?

I am using "synoboot.img" as the boot loader and "synoboot.vmdk" as the only SCSI hard disk. No other disks.

3 hours ago, IG-88 said:

what issues?

not found in network or disk/format/start issues?

did you try to use the forum search? with " Dell R510" i'm getting

if the network does not work you can try my extra.lzma (driver extension) 3.2 it contains a new tigon3 driver for broadcom cards, if network is your problem it might fix it

Thanks for the reply, to be honest I'm not sure what the cause is. I tried different configuration and I can get as far as "booting kernel" on the boot screen but when I go to another machine to try and login based on find.synology.com or the Ip I get nothing. 

2 hours ago, imran said:

I am using "synoboot.img" as the boot loader and "synoboot.vmdk" as the only SCSI hard disk. No other disks.

synoboot.img is like the usb stick on baremetal (just the bootloader to install dsm) and virtual scsi disks are the HDD's where dsm installed to and wehe your data will be (like when creating a raid set from at least 2 disks

Edited by IG-88

1 hour ago, AMeggs said:

Thanks for the reply, to be honest I'm not sure what the cause is. I tried different configuration and I can get as far as "booting kernel" on the boot screen but when I go to another machine to try and login based on find.synology.com or the Ip I get nothing. 

if not found in lan, likely a problem with the notwork driver in jun 1.02b (not supported hardware)

the specs for the server say broadcom 5709 and at least two people had success unsig my extra.lzma

so try it

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

if not found in lan, likely a problem with the notwork driver in jun 1.02b (not supported hardware)

the specs for the server say broadcom 5709 and at least two people had success unsig my extra.lzma

so try it

Yeah I'm afraid this is over my head of expertise.......

14 minutes ago, AMeggs said:

Yeah I'm afraid this is over my head of expertise.......

its part of the tutorial, 1st post in in the thread, the part about osfmount

If you need to replace the extra.lzma ramdisk with the custom ramdisk provided above then you will also need to mount partition 1 (the one that is 30 MB).

if you use windows 10, since creators update (spring, now mandatory for all), you simply connect the usb stick and you will see 2 partitions (drive letters), the second contains the extra.lzma, just backup the original and overwrite with the new one, that it

Edited by IG-88

3 hours ago, IG-88 said:

synoboot.img is like the usb stick on baremetal (just the bootloader to install dsm) and virtual scsi disks are the HDD's where dsm installed to and wehe your data will be (like when creating a raid set from at least 2 disks

here someone with esxi postes a picure where you see the configuration

Hello thanks for this new tuto 

I'm on HP proliant microserver gen 8

i have tried few week ago to migrate from 5.2 to 6.0

but i had an issue

I retest today with this new tuto and loader  but i'm still have the same issue

Synoassistant or url find syno find my server but they ask me to install and not to migrate

With this messsage

Capture.PNG.201ff2063275924b1462003b25187698.PNG

I have 2 Ethernet port and 2 mac adresse i have try on both and i have the same message !!

Someone can help me ?

6 hours ago, IG-88 said:

its part of the tutorial, 1st post in in the thread, the part about osfmount

If you need to replace the extra.lzma ramdisk with the custom ramdisk provided above then you will also need to mount partition 1 (the one that is 30 MB).

if you use windows 10, since creators update (spring, now mandatory for all), you simply connect the usb stick and you will see 2 partitions (drive letters), the second contains the extra.lzma, just backup the original and overwrite with the new one, that it

Thank you for your help, it appears to be working and Diskstation is installing now. Thanks again!

OK in fact the french translation is not correct "installation d'un tout nouveau dsm"

in english from syno tuto :

https://www.synology.com/_images/tutorials/migrate_dsm5/diff_find_02.jpg

"installing a newer dsm"

But if you have this clic Yes and after you can choose "migration"

My migration is still in progress  but i pass this message

Hi all,

I'm an absolute Beginner when it comes to DSM... and even Server Config in general.

I got a ProLiant 8Gen machine yesterday and plan to install 6.1 following the tutorial... 

I successfully generated a SN and registered at Synology...

Changes that are required in the grub.cfg are vid, pid, sn and mac

"Change mac1=0011322CA785 to mac1=[your NIC MAC address #1]"

Question:

Am I supposed/is there anything to consider using the real MAC adress of the Server machine ??

Many thanks for any input

BR

Edited by Polanskiman
removed unnecessary big font

11 minutes ago, Skyx_99 said:

Hi all,

I'm an absolute Beginner when it comes to DSM... and even Server Config in general.

I got a ProLiant 8Gen machine yesterday and plan to install 6.1 following the tutorial... 

I successfully generated a SN and registered at Synology...

Changes that are required in the grub.cfg are vid, pid, sn and mac

"Change mac1=0011322CA785 to mac1=[your NIC MAC address #1]"

Question:

Am I supposed/is there anything to consider using the real MAC adress of the Server machine ??

Many thanks for any input

BR

Hello and welcome,

I moved your post here as it was in direct relation to the tutorial.

Being a beginner I would first suggest reading the rules. There is no need for big fonts.

To answer to your post, first I do not recommend you register an account with Synology. There is no need for that. As a reminder this is XPEnology and by registering an account with Synology with a generated serial you are simply raising red flags.

As for the MAC, no there is nothing to consider about that. Simply use your Gen8 real MAC address.

13 hours ago, jeannotmer said:

Hello thanks for this new tuto 

I'm on HP proliant microserver gen 8

i have tried few week ago to migrate from 5.2 to 6.0

but i had an issue

I retest today with this new tuto and loader  but i'm still have the same issue

Synoassistant or url find syno find my server but they ask me to install and not to migrate

With this messsage

I have 2 Ethernet port and 2 mac adresse i have try on both and i have the same message !!

Someone can help me ?

13 hours ago, jeannotmer said:

OK in fact the french translation is not correct "installation d'un tout nouveau dsm"

in english from syno tuto :

https://www.synology.com/_images/tutorials/migrate_dsm5/diff_find_02.jpg

"installing a newer dsm"

But if you have this clic Yes and after you can choose "migration"

My migration is still in progress  but i pass this message

You need to click Install. The migration option will come after.

Hi Polanskiman,

sorry for the capital letters, I simply copy/pasted the Headline of the post and the editor made it bold and capital.

Many thanks for your answer. 

I'm not sure where, but I read somewhere to register with Synology to confirm the SN is valid for the right product... I wondered about exactly the same (raising a flag) but I thought I'd follow the instructions by the letter.

I will delete the registered SN at Synology now.

BR

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎23 at 0:05 PM, imran said:

Hello imran!

how is it going?

so if I understand it correctly, you have created new harddrive(in esxi for the vm?) ----for install of dsm? and created existing harddrive for the vmdk file right?

do you have a SAS controller with passthrough in esxi or just adding software discs images in esxi for dsm install?

regards K

Edited by kim82

On 9/25/2017 at 8:23 PM, kim82 said:

Hello imran!

how is it going?

so if I understand it correctly, you have created new harddrive(in esxi for the vm?) ----for install of dsm? and created existing harddrive for the vmdk file right?

do you have a SAS controller with passthrough in esxi or just adding software discs images in esxi for dsm install?

regards K

Hi Kim,

Thank you for making suggestions. I just added the existing hard drive for the vmdk file. I didn't make any changes in terms of SAS controller with passthrough as you have suggested. How do I do that if it's required? Sorry but I am unable to find these settings. I tried below as attached but that does not seem to have made any difference.

Hope you are able to advise. Thanks.

Capture.PNG

18 hours ago, imran said:

Hi Kim,

Thank you for making suggestions. I just added the existing hard drive for the vmdk file. I didn't make any changes in terms of SAS controller with passthrough as you have suggested. How do I do that if it's required? Sorry but I am unable to find these settings. I tried below as attached but that does not seem to have made any difference.

Hope you are able to advise. Thanks.

Capture.PNG

Hey!

here is a guide you can follow for pass through https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1010789

do you actually have your physical disk connected to a sas controller ? If not you don’t need passthrough for dsm. If you are using virtual discs then just add new hard disk before you can install dsm.

21 minutes ago, kim82 said:

Hey!

here is a guide you can follow for pass through https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1010789

do you actually have your physical disk connected to a sas controller ? If not you don’t need passthrough for dsm. If you are using virtual discs then just add new hard disk before you can install dsm.

Thanks Kim. I don't have any physical disks connected to a sas controller. I am only using virtual disks and I have tried different options but every time I get the error i.e. unable to format the disk (35).