XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

1 hour ago, andyrav said:

Hi

Does anyone have any info on how to Migrate/Upgrade from 6.0.x to 6.1.x 

which ever option i select on boot ie reinstall does not give me the migration screen in find.synology.com

the diskstation just boots as normal.

any ideas?

cheers

The generic way of upgrading has already been discussed: 

Nonetheless take the advise given above.

29 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

depends on what hardware is used

if a extra.lzma was used with 6.0.2 then the migration might fail because of missing divers

its good to know what kernel modules where loaded for network and storage, then you can check if this *.ko files are present in 6.1

i forgot to mention how to do it

sudo lspci -k

and after you know like e1000 (intel network card) you can check if e1000.ko is part of the extra.lzma

in polanskimans howto is a section

############# Included default modules & firmwares in Jun's Loader #############

or you open the synoboot.img with 7zip, open the image.img, then the extra.lzma, extra and in there you open /usr/lib/modules/ there are the additional *.ko files you can check

Edited by IG-88

On 9/14/2017 at 8:15 PM, kim82 said:

thank you! Yes I will update how I did.

one more qquestion. How much ram should I dedicate in esxi for the VM?(xpenology)

Hi Kim, have you posted somewhere your experience of updating your ESXi Xpenology VM DSM from 5.2 to the latest? Please share if you don't mind. Thanks.

I can confirm upgrading an HP Gen8 Baremetal from DSM 6.0.2 Update 8 to DSM 6.1.3 Update 3 and then Update 4 form DSM 6.1.3 with Jun's Bootloader ver 1.02B !

The Upgrade was straightforward, only changing the bootloader and make the settings from  original post, and upload DSM 6.1.3 Update3 pat file !

I have a readynas (old 6 bay array) one of the original "ReadyNas business edition" versions.  Been running 5.5 fine.  I had to replace some drives recently and I figured I'd run this tutorial. Followed it exactly but when it reboots after loading .pat file it says recover. I click recover and it says repairing 1%... 2% then it says "rebooting array" and then doesn't actually reboot anything (I believe).  Just keeps going back to recover.  Synology Assistant says status is "recoverable" 

Any thoughts guys? I had the no problem with any of the steps or finding any of the info (such as USB id/etc..)

32 minutes ago, casca said:

I have a readynas (old 6 bay array) one of the original "ReadyNas business edition" versions.  Been running 5.5 fine.  I had to replace some drives recently and I figured I'd run this tutorial. Followed it exactly but when it reboots after loading .pat file it says recover. I click recover and it says repairing 1%... 2% then it says "rebooting array" and then doesn't actually reboot anything (I believe).  Just keeps going back to recover.  Synology Assistant says status is "recoverable" 

Any thoughts guys? I had the no problem with any of the steps or finding any of the info (such as USB id/etc..)

Might help if you state the processor, network card etc & which bootloader you're using.

1 hour ago, Dfds said:

Might help if you state the processor, network card etc & which bootloader you're using.

I appreciate the offer.  I actually just fixed it and I'm at Update 4 successfully.  For those of you that run into this problem... my issue was solved because I inadvertently downloaded the wrong version of the bootloader.  Make sure you are on the right version ;) I  didn't figure it out until I went through it all step by step and realized that I downloaded the wrong version.  Everything is running smooth like a cucumber. Get updated to Update 4 though. My system started saying there were bad sectors on two of my drives (which was absolutely not the case). When I updated to update 4 I did not have that issue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, casca said:

I appreciate the offer.  I actually just fixed it and I'm at Update 4 successfully.  For those of you that run into this problem... my issue was solved because I inadvertently downloaded the wrong version of the bootloader.  Make sure you are on the right version ;) I  didn't figure it out until I went through it all step by step and realized that I downloaded the wrong version.  Everything is running smooth like a cucumber. Get updated to Update 4 though. My system started saying there were bad sectors on two of my drives (which was absolutely not the case). When I updated to update 4 I did not have that issue.

Glad you're up & running, Which bootloader caused the issue & which one fixed it?

Something else to note for all of you looking for a cheap way to get into a nice Synology RAID Array.  I have the RNDP6000 unit (it's a 6 bay Ready Nas Pro Business model).  It's VERY old like 7 years old.  I don't even know what max capacity on it is... but I have 6 5TB drives in right now running the latest XPENOLOGY with 6.1.3 update 4. It's running like a raped ape.  Completely compatible. I bet you can find used diskless units for cheap and throw some drives in it and save thousands.  Also something to note you do have to pick up a little ribbon cable to svga plug for it.  Open the case and put the plug on some pins and you have Video.  That's the only thing for setting it up the first go around.  (Just looked on ebay and one sold for 235 in August.)

Edited by casca

On 9/18/2017 at 6:43 AM, imran said:

Hi Kim, have you posted somewhere your experience of updating your ESXi Xpenology VM DSM from 5.2 to the latest? Please share if you don't mind. Thanks.

Hey!

I can write exatly what I did:

My hardware:

Motherboard supermicro X10SL7-F with xenon E3-1265L, Passthrough SAS controller and I have 8discs. 

ESXI 6.0

I had dsm 5.2 and wanted the lastest 6.1.3 update 4 edition.

I chose to read up on Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x(juns loader)

I downloaded the latest loader 1.02b ds3617. Then I opend the imagefile with OSFmount. edited the grub file like I wanted it to be. saved the changes and unmounted the image.

I did not bother the vid/pid becasue im using ESXI.

I made the  VM in esxi 6.0

memory 4gb

cpu number of virtual sockers 2 and number of core per socket 4

hardidsk for the vmdk file(synoboot.vmdk)

network adaoter 1

my pci device 0 = sas card passthrough

I uploaded the image(synoboot) to my datastore to folder Xpenology dsm 6.3.1

I then created a notepad fil with this content:

# Disk DescriptorFile
version=1
CID=5a3f7f5f
parentCID=ffffffff
isNativeSnapshot="no"
createType="vmfs"
# Extent description
RW 102400 VMFS "synoboot.img" 0
# The Disk Data Base
#DDB
ddb.adapterType = "lsilogic"
ddb.deletable = "true"
ddb.encoding = "UTF-8"
ddb.longContentID = "5cfc609b86db2c06834ece425a3f7f5f"
ddb.thinProvisioned = "1"
ddb.toolsInstallType = "4"
ddb.toolsVersion = "10247"
ddb.uuid = "60 00 C2 9a ee da ca 33-df 5e 04 3f 80 55 f9 62"
ddb.virtualHWVersion = "10"

I saved the file synoboo.txt to desktop. Then uploaded to my datastore in the same directory as before "Xpenology dsm 6.3.1. Then renamed that file to synoboot.vmdk

I downloaded the PAT file DSM 6.1.3 PAT file for the ds3617xs

started the VM and then opend the synology assistant program. 

I never disconnected my raid from dsm 5.2 just left it. When I got the IP number of the nas I could choose migrate in the synology assistant. I could manually choose the PAT file.

It ran the update rebooted and then I came to the login. 

After it updated all the packages I ran the dsm 6.3.1 update 4 within the dsm without any problem. It then ran som raid scrubbing witch took som time (10TB data)

It has now been up for some dats without any issues!

any more questions feel free to ask.

regards K

Edited by Polanskiman
Added proper code tags.

Hello again, as the ramdisk has been taken down i decided to look at what IG-88 posted regarding the .ko packages. Could anyone shed any light on whether my system is going to work, from doing lspci -k on the system results in the below. I take it that i should be looking for pcieport.ko, ahci.ko, ohci_hcd.ko etc?

00:00.0 Class 0600: Device 1022:9600
        Subsystem: Device 1022:9600
00:01.0 Class 0604: Device 1022:9602
00:06.0 Class 0604: Device 1022:9606
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:11.0 Class 0106: Device 1002:4390
        Subsystem: Device 1458:b002
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
00:12.0 Class 0c03: Device 1002:4397
        Subsystem: Device 1458:5004
        Kernel driver in use: ohci_hcd
00:12.1 Class 0c03: Device 1002:4398
00:12.2 Class 0c03: Device 1002:4396
        Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
00:13.0 Class 0c03: Device 1002:4397
00:13.1 Class 0c03: Device 1002:4398
00:13.2 Class 0c03: Device 1002:4396
        Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
00:14.0 Class 0c05: Device 1002:4385 (rev 3c)
        Subsystem: Device 1458:4385
00:14.1 Class 0101: Device 1002:439c
        Subsystem: Device 1458:5002
00:14.2 Class 0403: Device 1002:4383
        Subsystem: Device 1458:a002
00:14.3 Class 0601: Device 1002:439d
        Subsystem: Device 1002:439d
00:14.4 Class 0604: Device 1002:4384
00:14.5 Class 0c03: Device 1002:4399
00:18.0 Class 0600: Device 1022:1200
00:18.1 Class 0600: Device 1022:1201
00:18.2 Class 0600: Device 1022:1202
00:18.3 Class 0600: Device 1022:1203
00:18.4 Class 0600: Device 1022:1204
01:05.0 Class 0300: Device 1002:9616
        Subsystem: Device 1458:d000
02:00.0 Class 0200: Device 1969:1091 (rev 10)
        Subsystem: Device 1458:e000
        Kernel driver in use: alx

52 minutes ago, leigh258 said:

Hello again, as the ramdisk has been taken down i decided to look at what IG-88 posted regarding the .ko packages. Could anyone shed any light on whether my system is going to work, from doing lspci -k on the system results in the below. I take it that i should be looking for pcieport.ko, ahci.ko, ohci_hcd.ko etc?

00:11.0 Class 0106: Device 1002:4390
        Subsystem: Device 1458:b002
        Kernel driver in use: ahci

if thats all then the storage runs with just the ahci driver (by default avaiible in dsm)

02:00.0 Class 0200: Device 1969:1091 (rev 10)
        Subsystem: Device 1458:e000
        Kernel driver in use: alx

and thast your network chip, availible in juns loader 1.02b

looks like your hardware will work with jun 1.02b and dsm 6.1.3

12 hours ago, kim82 said:

Hey!

I can write exatly what I did:

My hardware:

Motherboard supermicro X10SL7-F with xenon E3-1265L, Passthrough SAS controller and I have 8discs. 

ESXI 6.0

I had dsm 5.2 and wanted the lastest 6.1.3 update 4 edition.

I chose to read up on Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x(juns loader)

I downloaded the latest loader 1.02b ds3617. Then I opend the imagefile with OSFmount. edited the grub file like I wanted it to be. saved the changes and unmounted the image.

I did not bother the vid/pid becasue im using ESXI.

I made the  VM in esxi 6.0

memory 4gb

cpu number of virtual sockers 2 and number of core per socket 4

hardidsk for the vmdk file(synoboot.vmdk)

network adaoter 1

my pci device 0 = sas card passthrough

I uploaded the image(synoboot) to my datastore to folder Xpenology dsm 6.3.1

I then created a notepad fil with this content:

# Disk DescriptorFile
version=1
CID=5a3f7f5f
parentCID=ffffffff
isNativeSnapshot="no"
createType="vmfs"
# Extent description
RW 102400 VMFS "synoboot.img" 0
# The Disk Data Base
#DDB
ddb.adapterType = "lsilogic"
ddb.deletable = "true"
ddb.encoding = "UTF-8"
ddb.longContentID = "5cfc609b86db2c06834ece425a3f7f5f"
ddb.thinProvisioned = "1"
ddb.toolsInstallType = "4"
ddb.toolsVersion = "10247"
ddb.uuid = "60 00 C2 9a ee da ca 33-df 5e 04 3f 80 55 f9 62"
ddb.virtualHWVersion = "10"

I saved the file synoboo.txt to desktop. Then uploaded to my datastore in the same directory as before "Xpenology dsm 6.3.1. Then renamed that file to synoboot.vmdk

I downloaded the PAT file DSM 6.1.3 PAT file for the ds3617xs

started the VM and then opend the synology assistant program. 

I never disconnected my raid from dsm 5.2 just left it. When I got the IP number of the nas I could choose migrate in the synology assistant. I could manually choose the PAT file.

It ran the update rebooted and then I came to the login. 

After it updated all the packages I ran the dsm 6.3.1 update 4 within the dsm without any problem. It then ran som raid scrubbing witch took som time (10TB data)

It has now been up for some dats without any issues!

any more questions feel free to ask.

regards K

Hi Kim, thank you for the helpful details. It's all clear except the bits where you mention, "I made the VM in esxi 6.0". Are you saying you created a new VM? If so, then how did it update your existing VM with Xpenology DSM 5.2? Sorry if it's something quite obvious and I cannot get my head around it. Thanks.

7 hours ago, imran said:

Hi Kim, thank you for the helpful details. It's all clear except the bits where you mention, "I made the VM in esxi 6.0". Are you saying you created a new VM? If so, then how did it update your existing VM with Xpenology DSM 5.2? Sorry if it's something quite obvious and I cannot get my head around it. Thanks.

hey again!

yes I started all over in ESXI, created a whole new VM. I created Xpenology DSM 6.1.3 where I then uploaded the vmdk file and the boot file. When I turned on the new Vm and I got ip number from the xpenology nas. I then started the synology Assistant and in that I could see the Ip and it had found "dsm 5.2" filesystem on it. Status "migration able" or something like that. I guess the DSM filesystem is stored in the raid somehow?

I typed the ip adress of the nas in IE and I came to the promt where to choose install/upgrade/Migrate my xpenology. I choose to keep my data etc and then chose the PAT file. Hit install and it did and then rebooted.

when I checked everything was OK, I deleted my old dsm 5.2 VM in esxi.

Edited by kim82

Evening all, so again i am trying to install dsm 6, after identifying a duff usb stick i now have managed to get to the install screen although now when i am trying to load the .pat file i am repeatably getting ' Failed to upload the DSM file installation. Please check the network connection and try again. (54)' What could the problem be this time / how do i start to diagnose? 

I have redownloaded the .pat file, tried uploading via mobile, laptop wireless and wired yet the fault still occurs. I have loaded Juns 1.0.2b DS3615xs pat file...

On 9/21/2017 at 1:53 AM, leigh258 said:

Evening all, so again i am trying to install dsm 6, after identifying a duff usb stick i now have managed to get to the install screen although now when i am trying to load the .pat file i am repeatably getting ' Failed to upload the DSM file installation. Please check the network connection and try again. (54)' What could the problem be this time / how do i start to diagnose? 

I have redownloaded the .pat file, tried uploading via mobile, laptop wireless and wired yet the fault still occurs. I have loaded Juns 1.0.2b DS3615xs pat file...

I have now managed to do a fresh install on a drive i had spare so i know the setup works. I have then disconnected this and tried to migrate with 2 of the 4 drives i had before (2 have files 2 are currently blank but loaded) though again the fault came up. So seems like i will have to do a clean install and manually restore the files from a backup. Installed version on the drives is 5.2-5592 for anyone that has this problem in the future.

Hi Guys

I'm after some help please.

I have a HP Microserver Gen 8 , 16GB ram, raid 5 array and a separate single SSD. I have installed esxi 6.5 onto a USB stick and boot from that.

I'm new to all of this so am basically after a few pointers or a link to an install guide to install DSM 6.1 on esxi 6.5. I've read the main post of this discussion, but wasn't sure if all the USB stick instructions were relevant or not. I had a little play and the install seemed to hang at 56%. This was using DSM_DS3615xs and the relevant .pat file

cheers

On 9/21/2017 at 4:41 AM, Morpheus911 said:

Hi Guys

I'm after some help please.

I have a HP Microserver Gen 8 , 16GB ram, raid 5 array and a separate single SSD. I have installed esxi 6.5 onto a USB stick and boot from that.

I'm new to all of this so am basically after a few pointers or a link to an install guide to install DSM 6.1 on esxi 6.5. I've read the main post of this discussion, but wasn't sure if all the USB stick instructions were relevant or not. I had a little play and the install seemed to hang at 56%. This was using DSM_DS3615xs and the relevant .pat file

cheers

If you are on esxi, meaning you are virtualising DSM then there is no need for USB key. You need to use the loader file (.img) as a disk. Search the forum for esxi instructions. There are several.

On 9/19/2017 at 4:18 PM, kim82 said:

hey again!

yes I started all over in ESXI, created a whole new VM. I created Xpenology DSM 6.1.3 where I then uploaded the vmdk file and the boot file. When I turned on the new Vm and I got ip number from the xpenology nas. I then started the synology Assistant and in that I could see the Ip and it had found "dsm 5.2" filesystem on it. Status "migration able" or something like that. I guess the DSM filesystem is stored in the raid somehow?

I typed the ip adress of the nas in IE and I came to the promt where to choose install/upgrade/Migrate my xpenology. I choose to keep my data etc and then chose the PAT file. Hit install and it did and then rebooted.

when I checked everything was OK, I deleted my old dsm 5.2 VM in esxi.

Thanks Kim. I have been trying to get this going for the last couple of days but cannot go beyond the stage of choosing the .pat file and clicking on the Install Now button. It starts to upload the .pat file and then gives the error, "Failed to format the disk. (35) as attached. Please note the VM I have created for this has only one disk i.e. synoboot.vmdk added as an "Existing hard disk". Could you please advise what could possible be the reason? Thank you.

Capture.PNG

I'm having some issues installing on a Dell R510. I'm currently using 6.1.3 on an older AMD and works fine. I'm more than positive I am doing something wrong getting the dell setup to boot. If someone is using the R510 or something similar can you tell me how it should be configured? This includes bios settings, Raid settings ETC. Thanks for any help guys!

6 hours ago, imran said:

Thanks Kim. I have been trying to get this going for the last couple of days but cannot go beyond the stage of choosing the .pat file and clicking on the Install Now button. It starts to upload the .pat file and then gives the error, "Failed to format the disk. (35) as attached. Please note the VM I have created for this has only one disk i.e. synoboot.vmdk added as an "Existing hard disk". Could you please advise what could possible be the reason? Thank you.

Capture.PNG

if you google your error you get this as first hit

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/General/What_can_I_do_when_I_get_the_error_message_quot_Failed_to_format_disk_quot_when_formatting_data_partition_during_the_setup

meaning is there are partitions on the disk in question and it will not install

create a new scsi disk and try with it

6 hours ago, AMeggs said:

I'm having some issues installing on a Dell R510. I'm currently using 6.1.3 on an older AMD and works fine. I'm more than positive I am doing something wrong getting the dell setup to boot. If someone is using the R510 or something similar can you tell me how it should be configured? This includes bios settings, Raid settings ETC. Thanks for any help guys!

what issues?

not found in network or disk/format/start issues?

did you try to use the forum search? with " Dell R510" i'm getting

if the network does not work you can try my extra.lzma (driver extension) 3.2 it contains a new tigon3 driver for broadcom cards, if network is your problem it might fix it