XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

15 minutes ago, dotslash said:

Hi, it's possible install  6.1.3.15125 update 4?

tnx in adv.

It's been reported by a bunch of members (including myself) that the update works fine. But it depends on the hardware that you're using. Make a test server and update, just to be sure before updating your main server.

• Like 1

I'm having trouble with both this loader as well as the 1.01 loader with an Atheros 8151 NIC. It seems as though the atl1c driver does not detect the hardware - the grub menu shows nothing with a net_ls_cards command, and the light is solid amber after booting the kernel. No new DHCP requests show up in my router's logs.

I have (likely incorrectly) attempted to compile the driver with the 15152 build as reference for the 1.02b loader, but ended up with the same result.

The NIC is confirmed working, as an Ubuntu live USB has no issue using atl1c.

Any advice?

Ok Guys! I BEG for help!

I had my dsm 5,2 running on my esxi 6 and did work GREAT!

now I wanted to try the latest and now I cant get it to work. 

Please help me:

I want to install dsm 6.1.3 on my esxi 6. What am a I doing wrong? When xpenology reboots, im not getting any ip number at all. But first time I boot and I choose migrate it work until reboot. then no ip number again. Im kinda stuck.....PLEASE HELP im so desperate, I have so many things I cant loose in my discs.

regards Kim

1 hour ago, kim82 said:

Ok Guys! I BEG for help!

I had my dsm 5,2 running on my esxi 6 and did work GREAT!

now I wanted to try the latest and now I cant get it to work. 

Please help me:

I want to install dsm 6.1.3 on my esxi 6. What am a I doing wrong? When xpenology reboots, im not getting any ip number at all. But first time I boot and I choose migrate it work until reboot. then no ip number again. Im kinda stuck.....PLEASE HELP im so desperate, I have so many things I cant loose in my discs.

regards Kim

Hello,

Wich loader use you ? Can you show your grub.cfg file

Just now, kim82 said:

Hello!

Ok so we take this from the begining. could you please point out what files I need for setting up in esxi? So I have the right ones. I wan to run the latest

After updateing DSM to 6.1.3 you should replace XPEnology.iso loader (used for DSM 5.2) by Jun's Loader but this loader need few modification tu work.

- Download Jun Loader 1.02b 3617xs https://mega.nz/#F!BtFQ2DgC!JgomNP3X8V9EuwxL4TXbng!k5NxiIjI

- On ESX in Datastore upload synoboot.img file in the VM directory

- On your computer create synoboot.txt file and paste following lines

# Disk DescriptorFile
version=1
CID=5a3f7f5f
parentCID=ffffffff
isNativeSnapshot="no"
createType="vmfs"

# Extent description
RW 102400 VMFS "synoboot.img" 0

# The Disk Data Base
#DDB

ddb.adapterType = "lsilogic"
ddb.deletable = "true"
ddb.encoding = "UTF-8"
ddb.longContentID = "5cfc609b86db2c06834ece425a3f7f5f"
ddb.thinProvisioned = "1"
ddb.toolsInstallType = "4"
ddb.toolsVersion = "10247"
ddb.uuid = "60 00 C2 9a ee da ca 33-df 5e 04 3f 80 55 f9 62"
ddb.virtualHWVersion = "10"

- After that rename synoboot.txt to synobbot.vmdk and upload it in VM folder

- On ESXi admin edit setting of VM to add existing hard drive and select synoboot.vmdk

If you see always nothing it is may by the order of hard drive, in VM setting remove all hard drive from config only except synoboot.vmdk, validate and after add again other all existinf vmdk

when I do migrate my xepnology to the ds3717xs it starts installing but after the reboot and counting down 10 minutes.......the IPnumber dissapear from the xepnology. I cant see it in the router or ping it. what am I doing wrong?

pleease please hlp me......I have so much stuff I need to get back.

1 hour ago, kim82 said:

when I do migrate my xepnology to the ds3717xs it starts installing but after the reboot and counting down 10 minutes.......the IPnumber dissapear from the xepnology. I cant see it in the router or ping it. what am I doing wrong?

pleease please hlp me......I have so much stuff I need to get back.

I do not use ESXI so I am not sure what is going on. Check the forum there are several topics on the matter. All I can say is that your data should be safe since it is on separate partition so don't worry too much about that

Anyway what NIC are you using in ESXI?

40 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

I do not use ESXI so I am not sure what is going on. Check the forum there are several topics on the matter. All I can say is that your data should be safe since it is on separate partition so don't worry too much about that

Anyway what NIC are you using in ESXI?

Hey Polanskiman!

I finally got it to work and with the latest update 4 aswell! 

now my last issue; why is the 50mb "wmware disc" visible when I look at the disk slots? in dsm 5.2 I know that partition was invisible....

can I hide that partition from dsm?

Edited by kim82

3 hours ago, kim82 said:

Hey Polanskiman!

I finally got it to work and with the latest update 4 aswell! 

now my last issue; why is the 50mb "wmware disc" visible when I look at the disk slots? in dsm 5.2 I know that partition was invisible....

can I hide that partition from dsm?

It might be a good idea to share what you did so that if others who came across the same problem then they can use your experience. For the visible disk you might want to read this: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7613-disablehide-50mb-vmware-virtual-disk/?do=findComment&comment=73440

5 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

It might be a good idea to share what you did so that if others who came across the same problem then they can use your experience. For the visible disk you might want to read this: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7613-disablehide-50mb-vmware-virtual-disk/?do=findComment&comment=73440

thank you! Yes I will update how I did.

one more qquestion. How much ram should I dedicate in esxi for the VM?(xpenology)

Anyone managed to do this bare metal on an N54L?

I've got one which has been running fine on 5.2 (5664 update 5) serving CCTV setup. But noticed openvpn package isn't getting updates any longer, whereas my Gen 8 running 6.02 (8451 update 11) has received a few updates since.

Edited by gb77

Anyone managed to do this bare metal on an N54L?

I've got one which has been running fine on 5.2 (5664 update 5) serving CCTV setup. But noticed openvpn package isn't getting updates any longer, whereas my Gen 8 running 6.02 (8451 update 11) has received a few updates since.

You might need to disable C1E in your bios prior the upgrade.

@gb77 jun's 1.02b loader definitely works with the N40L, as Polanskiman says just disable C1E support in the bios, reboot & upgrade to 6.1.3. After the install finishes you'll get an update notice saying that update 4 is available, you can go ahead & apply it but be warned it will reboot your system again.

• Thanks 1

I would like to try this method on a production server running 5.2. However my previous attempts at getting to dsm 6. on a hp mediasmart server did not work well and I did lose data. having a backup of 30TB is not something I can or plan on doing. Luckily the system I have is a home brew H97I by asus. The other thing I forgot to mention was the whole mac and the model ds3615xs

i would suggest the method i did with my barematel system

remove power cables from all disks (30 TB drives), remove usb stick

take new usb stick and empty single disk, prepare usb stick as in howto (vid/pid)

connect empty disk to first sata port of system, cennct usb stick and power on and try to install dsm 6.x (usualy 6.1.3 would be the first choice)

if you are finished testig reconnect first sata cable with old disk, reconnect 30 TB drives to power and use old stick to power up - no harm done and you know is your hardware working with the new bootloader (+extra.lzma for drivers if needed) and new dsm 6.1.3

9 hours ago, IG-88 said:

i would suggest the method i did with my barematel system

remove power cables from all disks (30 TB drives), remove usb stick

take new usb stick and empty single disk, prepare usb stick as in howto (vid/pid)

connect empty disk to first sata port of system, cennct usb stick and power on and try to install dsm 6.x (usualy 6.1.3 would be the first choice)

if you are finished testig reconnect first sata cable with old disk, reconnect 30 TB drives to power and use old stick to power up - no harm done and you know is your hardware working with the new bootloader (+extra.lzma for drivers if needed) and new dsm 6.1.3

Thats something I was considering. The main question is can users using a 5.2 loader use the same mac info the 6.x loader? vid / pid is simple but the mac scheme im not sure if thats changed causing the newer loaders not to work properly?.