XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

Thank for tutorial and help, I am trying to get it working on HPZ800 but for some reasons the workstation while booting says

Attempting to boot from usb

and immediately moves to boot from hdd. I have followed all the steps above to make that usb bootable.

Any help and advice on this please?

On 1/16/2021 at 1:36 AM, IG-88 said:

try mbr loader version

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/98-member-tweaked-loaders/

maybe 1.02b is best for testing as its working with uefi and csm/legacy mode

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

Thanks a ton you all are gems :)

I was successfully able to boot up my HP z800 as DSM but getting this error right after installation starts.

As per your instructions I am using the 1.02b with DSM 6.1 (DSM_DS3615xs_15284.pat)

Searching through the forums could see it might be VID/PID incorrect issue but I have verified mine and its correct.

Any suggestions to fix this please 

Screenshot 2021-01-17 at 7.23.49 PM.png

I upgraded my nas hardware with gigabyte GA-Q67M-d2h-B3 8GB RAM DDR3 - 1600 hyperx motherboard (the blue ones) cpu an i3-2120 and it seems that everything is fine I migrated from version 5.2xxxx to 6.2.3-24526 Update 3 At first, after the installation / migration seemed to be successful I could not connect to Internet with the new NAS. I repeated the installation after deleting the first partition of each disk present and to do this I used of a live Gparted installed on the 4GB USB that I use to boot the system. Once this is done, I started the machine and performed the migration proposed by the OS which threatened to delete all the data which, to me, did not happen. I clearly bring my experience that in my case all the data remained unaltered on the disks In any case, in order to avoid unpleasant surprises, it is highly advisable to make a backup of your data.

2 hours ago, AbuMoosa said:

Thanks a ton you all are gems :)

I was successfully able to boot up my HP z800 as DSM but getting this error right after installation starts.

As per your instructions I am using the 1.02b with DSM 6.1 (DSM_DS3615xs_15284.pat)

Searching through the forums could see it might be VID/PID incorrect issue but I have verified mine and its correct.

Any suggestions to fix this please 

Screenshot 2021-01-17 at 7.23.49 PM.png

Probably in your synoboot file you have not reported the Vid and Pid of your USB stick  and the correct serial and mac address.

58 minutes ago, mykia said:

and the correct serial and mac address.

thats not neede for installing dsm, only vid/pid matters when installing

3 hours ago, AbuMoosa said:

did you use a unix aware editor?

i've also seen people "loosing" the 0x in front of the 4 digit of the usb vid/pid or swapping vid/pid

edit: in cased like this it best to start over with the usb and redoing the steps from the start

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, IG-88 said:

i've also seen people "loosing" the 0x in front of the 4 digit of the usb vid/pid or swapping vid/pid

edit: in cased like this it best to start over with the usb and redoing the steps from the start

Thanks again for your help,

I used Notepad++ as instructed and verified the grub.cfg later again to make sure it matches PID and VID. 

I'll try this again with another USB stick.

On 1/17/2021 at 11:08 PM, IG-88 said:

Thanks for all your help, now I am running DSM6.1 on my HP Z800 machine :)
You are legend. :)

2 hours ago, AbuMoosa said:

I am running DSM6.1 on my HP Z800 machine

MBR version of the loader?

in general i'd say if it runs 1.02b /dsm 6.2 it will run 1.03b / dsm 6.2 too, only difference is that this loader only starts in legacy / cms mode if the pc has a uefi bios (and you need to boot from the non uefo usb boot device), as hp has custom bios gui's it hard to say how the options are named, usually its near to anything about secure boot

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IG-88 said:

MBR version of the loader?

in general i'd say if it runs 1.02b /dsm 6.2 it will run 1.03b / dsm 6.2 too, only difference is that this loader only starts in legacy / cms mode if the pc has a uefi bios (and you need to boot from the non uefo usb boot device), as hp has custom bios gui's it hard to say how the options are named, usually its near to anything about secure boot

Yes MBR version,

My new NAS has nothing in it as of now so I'll try DSM6.2 with 1.03b. :)
Thanks for non uefi boot tip, I'll keep it mind :) 

Hi,

I am completely new to Xpenology and have a hard time to understand the quite complicated process of installation.

Is there something like ready iso file that I use like in case of OMV or FreeNAS which I just use to make bootable USB and then it would install on my machine without need to do all that stuff with editing the boot usb, code etc?

I'm not that good with those things and coping with standard installation of systems.

I got HP t620 thin client with 4gb ram, 16gb ssd and AMD GX-217GA SOCJaguar processor.

Has any of you used this machine succesfully with Xpenology?

Thanks in advance

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 4:00 AM, Daveee said:

Hi,

I am completely new to Xpenology and have a hard time to understand the quite complicated process of installation.

Is there something like ready iso file that I use like in case of OMV or FreeNAS which I just use to make bootable USB and then it would install on my machine without need to do all that stuff with editing the boot usb, code etc?

I'm not that good with those things and coping with standard installation of systems.

I got HP t620 thin client with 4gb ram, 16gb ssd and AMD GX-217GA SOCJaguar processor.

Has any of you used this machine succesfully with Xpenology?

Thanks in advance

Dave.

Complicated? setting up FREENAS/OMV far more complicated compared to edit 4 lines of mac address and usb stick pid/vid that you use. How hard is that going to be?

Even signing up new email is more complicated than that. Just follow the guide, you'll be ready in less than 15mnts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I would like to update from DSM 5.2 directly to DSM 6.2.3 (6.2.3-25426 Update 3) with the Loader 1.03b for a 3615XS platform. Is the procedure basically the same as described in Polanskiman's tutorial? Or do I have to pay attention to something here because a step may be different? Which lines in the boot loader I must choose? The first line oder the second for reinstall?

Many Thanks.

Greetings

Infosucher

Edited by Infosucher

1. This is a major upgrade. You really, really need to have a backup of your data - even if you have to borrow drives to do it on.

2. You need to check this

to make sure that you are selecting the correct combination of bootloader and DSM version for your hardware. For 1.03b you need to be able to boot in csm/legacy mode.

3. I would check the updates thread for 6.2.3 to see if someone has reported a successful update for hardware the same or similar to yours

4. You need to do this

before booting 6.2.3 for the first time.

5.Use the tutorial as a guide.

6. Did I say backup?

7. Option 1 will do. When the new loader boots it will recognise that the version of DSM on disk is older and offer you to upgrade.

8. If you have problems, start a new thread and describe your hardware, the steps you have taken and the problem (error message) that you have.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 5:02 PM, billat29 said:

1. This is a major upgrade. You really, really need to have a backup of your data - even if you have to borrow drives to do it on.

2. You need to check this

to make sure that you are selecting the correct combination of bootloader and DSM version for your hardware. For 1.03b you need to be able to boot in csm/legacy mode.

3. I would check the updates thread for 6.2.3 to see if someone has reported a successful update for hardware the same or similar to yours

4. You need to do this

before booting 6.2.3 for the first time.

5.Use the tutorial as a guide.

6. Did I say backup?

7. Option 1 will do. When the new loader boots it will recognise that the version of DSM on disk is older and offer you to upgrade.

8. If you have problems, start a new thread and describe your hardware, the steps you have taken and the problem (error message) that you have.

Good Luck!

Thank you for your answer. Do you know if the driver for Intel i219v Networkcard is supported for? Which Version ist the last one that supported the Networkcard?

On 12/6/2020 at 12:46 PM, chumlee said:

It worked flawlessly on an old Dell d630 Laptop. 

Thank you!

How do you find it works on this laptop?

I have one of these kicking around with a 1TB drive I could throw in there. I think mine only has 2GB or RAM. Will this be enough?

• 1 month later...

I have been using DSM 5.2 on an HP Microserver Gen 8 for the last 4 years without a problem, but now need to upgrade as my Plex client cannot connect to older Plex server which cannot be upgraded because DSM is too old. I tried the tutorial to upgrade DSM to 6.1.7 and for the life of me cannot get it loaded:

The system is booting from the USB drive so I assume that the VID and PID numbers I used are correct. When it reaches the boot menu it automatically goes into the first option which is to Install DSM. I then get the message "Booting the kernel" and then nothing? The lights on the LAN port are flashing so I assume that it is communicating on the LAN (LAN drivers are all good?), but I cannot detect the system on the network - Synology assistant does not find it and my IP scanner does not detect it on the network. I have tried a few times (even tried upgrading to DSM 6.0.2 but same problem exists. I also tried loading the extra drivers in the "extra.lzma" file but still no change.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me on what to look for or what I can try? I have seen posts where people are running on a Gen 8 microserver so this should work.

PS: I am using "DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.img" and have the "DSM_DS3615xs_15284.pat" file to use (but haven't got that far in the installation).

Edited by pahowells

7 hours ago, pahowells said:

I have been using DSM 5.2 on an HP Microserver Gen 8 for the last 4 years without a problem, but now need to upgrade as my Plex client cannot connect to older Plex server which cannot be upgraded because DSM is too old. I tried the tutorial to upgrade DSM to 6.1.7 and for the life of me cannot get it loaded:

The system is booting from the USB drive so I assume that the VID and PID numbers I used are correct. When it reaches the boot menu it automatically goes into the first option which is to Install DSM. I then get the message "Booting the kernel" and then nothing? The lights on the LAN port are flashing so I assume that it is communicating on the LAN (LAN drivers are all good?), but I cannot detect the system on the network - Synology assistant does not find it and my IP scanner does not detect it on the network. I have tried a few times (even tried upgrading to DSM 6.0.2 but same problem exists. I also tried loading the extra drivers in the "extra.lzma" file but still no change.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me on what to look for or what I can try? I have seen posts where people are running on a Gen 8 microserver so this should work.

PS: I am using "DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.img" and have the "DSM_DS3615xs_15284.pat" file to use (but haven't got that far in the installation).

Edit: Created the USB flash drive (for the 4th time) using Rufus instead of Win32DiskImager and it is now working - update is busy installing :-)

I'm trying to install XPE to Futro S720 (AMD GX-217GA), just started with bootloader 1.04b and DS918+ platform (and v6.2.3 PAT). So questions (that I cannot find answer for):

1. Is USB drive for initial bootstrap & installation? Can I remove after all and it's not needed anymore? Because I'd like to install & run on dedicated 16GB SATA SSD.
  2. Booting from usb drive stops at "screen will stop updating..." and there is no further messages. Does it mean that bootloader doesn't work for me? Should I try with v1.03 DS3515/17 I suppose?

1. USB drive is for every boot and is modified at upgrade.  It cannot be removed.

1a. DSM is installed to every data disk you add to it. This is not optional.

2. This is normal to display.  The next step is to locate the system on the network using Synology Assistant or find.synology.com to complete the install.

My box is Futro S720 (AMD GX-217GA), has 16GB SSD intended for OS only.I'd like to migrate 2x1TB HDD from old nas without data loss. They work in RAID 1 using mdadm.

I've managed to install XPE platform DS918+ using bootloader 1.04b and DSM_DS918+_25426.pat file :) It wasn't successful at few first tries because I put PID, VID, MAC using lower cases! I thought it's case insensitive, but it is - so always put pid, vid, mac, etc in upper case!

1. USB drive is for bootloader only? Whole system is loaded from HDD/SSD? So is it possible to move bootloader into HDD/SSD to get rid of USB drive?
  2. Is it possible to migrate 2x1TB HDD from old NAS and run them using mdadm RAID1? I'd like them to be my primary storage in XPE (still in RAID1).
  3. Can I use unused space from my 16GB SSD (with system) as storage/pool somehow?

2 hours ago, rufik said:

I thought it's case insensitive, but it is - so always put pid, vid, mac, etc in upper case!

no its not, thats from jun's 1.03b 3617 grub.cfg

set vid=0x058f
set pid=0x6387

some people forget the "0x...", swap vid and pid or its can by a typo

also used lower case myself

2 hours ago, rufik said:

USB drive is for bootloader only?

yes, just grub and kernel files and some drivers

2 hours ago, rufik said:

Whole system is loaded from HDD/SSD? So is it possible to move bootloader into HDD/SSD to get rid of USB drive?

maybe you should start reading the FAQ

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9392-general-faq/?do=findComment&comment=86731

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9394-installation-faq/?do=findComment&comment=81096

2 hours ago, rufik said:

Is it possible to migrate 2x1TB HDD from old NAS and run them using mdadm RAID1? I'd like them to be my primary storage in XPE (still in RAID1).

if its a synology nas then maybe, if not then its a 100% no

(if you want to do that you might have a look into open media vault)

2 hours ago, rufik said:

Can I use unused space from my 16GB SSD (with system) as storage/pool somehow?

yes, the system and swap take 4.4GB (see faq) and on the remaining part you could create a basic volume (no redundancy), but having a 10GB volume will not help much with anything and as its so small its presumably a older ssd so the performance is mediocre at best (and it cant be used as cache drive, that type need to be a exclusive drive and with just one drive it would only be usable as read cache and in most home use cases thats not very useful)

Edited by IG-88