XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

try editing /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf.

You did not post much information about your system.  Are your disks passthrough?  How many controllers?  How many ports on those controllers? Did you have a custom setting for DiskIdxMap and/or SataPortMap in your loader?

18 hours ago, flyride said:

try editing /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf.

You did not post much information about your system.  Are your disks passthrough?  How many controllers?  How many ports on those controllers? Did you have a custom setting for DiskIdxMap and/or SataPortMap in your loader?

Thank you for your answer.

I did try to edit /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf. That was the first thing I tried. But even though I changed the values to 24 disks, there is still only 8 disks visible in DSM Storage Manager. I think this must be the problem, right? Why doesn't the change in synoinfo.conf reflect in the Synology?

About my system:

I have a Supermicro Motherboard with a built in LSI controller with 8 SATA ports (on the mother board). The controller works as a regular PCI HBA and is passed through to the Synology server. I also have a regular 8 port PCI LSI HBA that is passed through in the same way.

I don't recognize DiskIdxMap and SataPortMap. I have never changed any of those values before. Is that something new with version 6?

The values in /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf are copied to /etc/synoinfo.conf each reboot.

You will probably need SataPortMap=188 and DiskIdxMap=180008 for your drives to be properly visible spanning controllers.  If you are asking whether this is new for version 6, you need to go to the FAQs and spend some time reviewing the 6.x loader instructions and how to implement those settings into the loader.

2 hours ago, flyride said:

The values in /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf are copied to /etc/synoinfo.conf each reboot.

You will probably need SataPortMap=188 and DiskIdxMap=180008 for your drives to be properly visible spanning controllers.  If you are asking whether this is new for version 6, you need to go to the FAQs and spend some time reviewing the 6.x loader instructions and how to implement those settings into the loader.

Thanks. I will study.

In the mean time, is it possible to downgrade 5.2 5967?

Cheers
One consulta, por favor ayuda cuál de estas opciones es más estable, compatibilidad con DSN versión 6.2 y si no es mucho pedir en el futuro
1.-Servidor HP Proliant DL380 g4 Intel Xeon 3.8
2.-HP Proliant DL160 G6 Servidor Intel Xeon CPU L5630 2.13GHz
3.-HP Proliant DL120 G7 Servidor Intel Xeon E3-1220
4.-SERVIDOR DELL PowerEdge T40 Intel Xeon E-2224G
gracias de antemano

Edited by deivis

On 10/28/2018 at 6:01 AM, ed_co said:

@Polanskiman Thanks for the amazing tutorial!! Just one thing, for macOS, you didn't say how to mount the partition to change the extra.lzma, just to change the grub.cfg. Could you please provide the info?

Thank you very much!!

Please add to the macOS tutorial, how to mount the other partition, in order to modify the extra.lzma/extra2.lzma:

mkdir /tmp/partition2
sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk2s2 /tmp/partition2

Although I find a problem to eject/unmount it properly... and that's why I wanted to have some help with that

Edited by ed_co

• 1 month later...

Hi

Thanks for the detailed tutorial!

Been trying to update my 5.2 Synology server. Running on HP DL180G6

Run faultlessly on Xpenoboot for DSM5.2 for years but well past time to update now as many packages etc aren't compatible any longer!

As this server has a P410 Raid controller this is listed as not working in the extra ramdisk post and therefore the loader won't work with the server

Is there any other loaders I would be able to migrate my current 5.2 installation to?

Would a migration be possible using 1.01 and DSM 6.0 or migrate using 1.03 and DSM 6.2?

Thanks

Edited by JCon

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all information updat.

Finally I can update a baremetal HP N40L (mod bios & using onboard NIC) with 6 HDDs, from nanoboot DSM 5.2-5644 to Jub1.03b loader for DS3615xs with DSM6.2.3-25426 directly.

Data migration is straight forward & perfectly smooth. Only needs to ensure C1 disabled in BIOS.

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2020 at 9:04 PM, HMatter said:

Hey, is it possible to install this on a Drobo B800i? 

How would I install on a device without a monitor connected? can you ssh in?

thanks in advance!

H

I am not sure what NIC that machine has but you can try. You don't need a monitor. You connect to the installation using Synology Assistant to find he machine over the network once the bootloader has loaded then proceed to install DSM.

On 9/23/2020 at 4:04 PM, HMatter said:

Hey, is it possible to install this on a Drobo B800i? 

How would I install on a device without a monitor connected? can you ssh in?

beside of usb booting - does it have a x86 64bit cpu? i guess not

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/cracking-open/drobo-b800i-san-storage-device-teardown-proprietary-motherboard-with-marvell-processor/

marvell is arm and thats it, our loader is based on x86 code and Bios/uefi

can it boot linux? maybe

https://drobocommunity.m-ize.com/t/drobo-bricked-out-of-warranty-read-me/142714/41

On 9/28/2020 at 11:01 PM, IG-88 said:

beside of usb booting - does it have a x86 64bit cpu? i guess not

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/cracking-open/drobo-b800i-san-storage-device-teardown-proprietary-motherboard-with-marvell-processor/

marvell is arm and thats it, our loader is based on x86 code and Bios/uefi

can it boot linux? maybe

https://drobocommunity.m-ize.com/t/drobo-bricked-out-of-warranty-read-me/142714/41

Really interesting, thank you! If I manage to get Linux on it, can I install DS straight on Linux? or would I have to use a bootloader and use linus to tell it to boot from usb?

thanks!!

(apologies if this is too far off topic!)

6 minutes ago, HMatter said:

t, can I install DS straight on Linux?

no way - dsm as we only can use it here is a x86-64 appliance that even needs to be "hacked" (protection to run on not synology build hardware) by the loader

your only way might be a "normal" arm based linux and configure that to use it the way you intend it to be, maybe omv's arm branche might be possible(?), but even getting this to start on your drobo hardware is more of a challenge then you might think and you might easily brick the drobo system on the way

much easier to build a small nas from scratch for 200-500 bug's (and with zero costs older hardware it can even be cheaper - depends on the performance goals)

26 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

no way - dsm as we only can use it here is a x86-64 appliance that even needs to be "hacked" (protection to run on not synology build hardware) by the loader

your only way might be a "normal" arm based linux and configure that to use it the way you intend it to be, maybe omv's arm branche might be possible(?), but even getting this to start on your drobo hardware is more of a challenge then you might think and you might easily brick the drobo system on the way

much easier to build a small nas from scratch for 200-500 bug's (and with zero costs older hardware it can even be cheaper - depends on the performance goals)

really useful thanks! 

Ive already got a xpenology build on a HP box I just wondered if I could use the old drobo hardware better to make the most of the raid system but as the answer is no It'l free up some brain space thinking about it - thanks so much!

H

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am trying to xpenology on an old PC running with Q6600 on Asus p5g41t-m lx. This mobo uses Qualcomm Atheros AR8131 ATL1C, that is supossed to be into the loader

I am following all the steps but i cannot find in my local network

I have used 2 diferents usb, also adding the new xtra but it is not working

i have connected a display and showed that is working with no faults

any clue to follow?

what loader did you use, it needs to be 1.03b and you need CSM mode in bios

maybe try 1.02b 3617, to boot you dont need to change anything (vid/pid is only important when installing a *.pat file), 1st step is to find it in network

the cpu should work with 3615/17 (used this cpu last year for testing)

Edited by IG-88

i have tried 1.02b with 3615 and the last try with 1.03b with 3617.

i have vid/pid of both pendrives

in the dhcp tab on the router, does not display any IP for the device

i have updated the bios but still cannot select between cms or uefi

Edited by Ghosthawk

2 hours ago, Ghosthawk said:

Looking at the ASUS website, this is an old board that appears to be BIOS only, so disregard the comment about selecting csm / legacy.

Do you get the loader messages on the monitor when you boot?

2 hours ago, Ghosthawk said:

maybe it does not support uefi, i just mention it to cover all cases, i'm not downloading every manual to check if the board it old bios or newer uefi, the owner should know that already

i suggested 1.02b as test because it supports both old bios aka csm mode in uefi and uefi (without csm)

if that does not work there is something else fundamentally wrong like not booting at all (that what @billat29 question is about) or a problem with the network (not fully plugged in, vlan, ...), he nic driver is covered by jun's driver set that comes with the loader

1 hour ago, Ghosthawk said:

with the 1.02b it shows the messages like the picture

its booting

if you have a 1 Gbit nic around you can try to run it with this

the board will have a serial port, if you have a 0-modem cable around you can hook it up and see the boot process (local console is redirected to serial port)

it has

asus-p5g41t-m-lx-2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

now i have to search a null cable modem

i have tried with other lan cable. i start a live ubuntu and it gets internet conection with no problem. i have assigned in the router a static IP to the MAC address but there is no sign with the loader

Edited by Ghosthawk

11 hours ago, Ghosthawk said:

i start a live ubuntu and it gets internet conection with no problem

that way you pretty much ruled out any problems with the nic, cable and dhcp

as i'm out of ideas atm i suggested the serial console, you see drivers loading and what ip address the system gets (if there is any nic found)

you can even login there and check logs like dmesg

(the login data can be made by a formula depending on the date of the system, there might also be a online password generator for this)

https://wrgms.com/synologys-secret-telnet-password/

You've probably tried telneting to your NAS. Maybe you've even tried opening the case and hacking the serial port, only to discover that you don't have the root password. The DS Assistant password doesn't work, and you exhausted all obvious guesses - blank, synopass, synology, password, admin, root, etc.
Bonus tip: if you're curious how exactly the password is generated, here's the gist:

1st character = month in hexadecimal, lower case (1=Jan, ... , a=Oct, b=Nov, c=Dec)
    2-3 = month in decimal, zero padded and starting in 1 (01, 02, 03, ..., 11, 12)
    4 = dash
    5-6 = day of the month in hex (01, 02 .., 0A, .., 1F)
    7-8 = greatest common divisor between month and day, zero padded. This is always a number between 01 and 12.

So, let's say today is October 15, the password would be: a10-0f05 (a = month in hex, 10 = month in dec, 0f = day in hex, 05 = greatest divisor between 10 and 15).

11 hours ago, Ghosthawk said:

IP to the MAC address but there is no sign with the loader

keep in mind you are looking for the mac address that is defined in the grub.cfg

the default in 1.02b 3617 is 0011322CA603

(in the final stage for installing that's usually replaced with the real mac to have WOL functionality)