XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

OK so this is just an informative post from a N00B take the information herin with a grain of salt. 

I tried to follow the instructions to a T

it didn't work.... but I was a moron, here's the story, 

I did everything requested... but then when it got to (the system is rebooting it will take 10 minutes) I figured I would speed it up and reboot it myself. 

BIG MISTAKE. 

when it came back up it wouldn't accept any PAT files, or anything. I thought something went wrong with the USB drive. 

after trying everything I could think of to get this working. I finally took all the hard drives and mounted them with a windows system. 

deleted all the partitions. and created a new boot drive (On USB) 

I would still get to the point where I needed to upload the file, then it would blank out and go back to showing me that it's corrupt. 

it took me a while to realize what was actually happening. 

the different systems (619, 3615,3617) has different hardware

I'm using a base intel board. and nothing seems to be working

619 wouldn't boot, and 3617 wouldn't load the rom. 

so. I started from scratch. 

loaded 619, expecting it not to boot. - it behaved as expected

loaded 3615xs -- following the instructions perfectly. it booted, downloaded the PAT from Synology didn't work. had to use the one in the forum post. but that loaded

so here's the takeaway,

because there's not compatable hardware list. and no real guidance on which Synology bootloader to use. (Thanks Jun I LOVE IT) 

you need to find the one that is the most compatable with your systems. I was under the impression that the bigger number is better, and that I'd be happier with 3617. 

but I found that THAT is the reason I couldn't load the PAT file.

I hope this is helpful to someone just starting out with this. because it was a 3 day ordeal of frustration and failure for me. 

HAPPY NASing

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shortcircuitaz said:

because there's not compatable hardware list. and no real guidance on which Synology bootloader to use. (Thanks Jun I LOVE IT) 

you need to find the one that is the most compatable with your systems. I was under the impression that the bigger number is better, and that I'd be happier with 3617. 

but I found that THAT is the reason I couldn't load the PAT file.

I hope this is helpful to someone just starting out with this. because it was a 3 day ordeal of frustration and failure for me. 

um,

This link from the FAQ: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/9394-installation-faq/?do=findComment&comment=81092

And this link from the Guide section: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

Both of these discuss the relative merits of each bootloader and platform and some discussion of compatible hardware.

Edited by flyride

• 2 weeks later...

hello guys

i have an Asrock h81m-vg4 Rev 2  board which im using a intel g3240 cpu on it.

no matter what loader i use, i can find the device using synology website, but when i click on connect, it takes me to the web assistant of the synology which then it just spins and spins and then it will give me an error " Connection failed. Please check your network settings.". but i have the ping of the box. which is weird.

i tried to install pat file using synology assistant software and it give me this error " Error code 21 "

i tried sata port maping to 22 because it has 2 controllers. used extra drivers, and im sure pid,vid and mac address are right. what am i doing wrong ? any one can help please ?

1.jpg

2.jpg

I've been experiencing an repetitive issue with DS3617sx, it will shows "  Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found " page and lock out of any services.

It happens 3 times already... I'm switching back to DS3615sx, I'm tired reinstalling and fortunately have backups, it happens on almost monthly period, and yes it's been 3 months since I used DS3617.

at first I thought because it's randomly update it self to newest version, so I disable internet for the synology, and it still happens, next I thought it was hdd/cable Issue so I swapped them, and the last time *which is today* it happens again, and I'm out of option to which one is the culprit except probably the OS or the loader it self.

Anyway... this time I'll stick to DS3615 and see how long it will last.

Edited by Keylock32

• 1 month later...

hi,

newbie here. been lurking for a while though.

ok, i messed up. i had a few days off work, and plex wasnt letting me update (it was crashing doing a scan regularly) so i decided to bite the bullet and upgrade from DSM5.2

read and re-read the guide. all was going swimmingly until i stupidly hit next on the upgrade screen and it downloaded and installed the latest version, rather than the 6.1 pat file i'd grabbed.

i have a gen8 hp microserver. im assuming i've hit the NIC issue. i dont have an intel card to hand, so will have to order one i guess.... or is there a way round it? (downgrade to 6.1 somehow? fiddle with extra.lzma?)

*edit*

attempting downgrade. i'm back into a working OS running on an old spare hdd, but how best to get the raid array/original drive working with it? drop the other 3 drives back in and then swap the blank one back out for the original?

IMG_20200325_172151.thumb.jpg.7c2f41e83fa46f57032a3add193fc36c.jpg

Edited by wanye

Looking to do a fresh install on a Barracuda Backup 390 machine. 

What I've done: I downloaded the win32diskmanager

QUESTIONS:

1. not sure which .pat file i need

2. which synoboot file I need. 

3. Do I need anything else?

MB: MSI H61M-P25 (B3)  //  CPU: Can't tell  //  HDD: 2 x 2TB  // RAM: 8gb

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/27/2020 at 3:00 AM, backin2shape said:

MB: MSI H61M-P25 (B3)  //  CPU: Can't tell  //  HDD: 2 x 2TB  // RAM: 8gb

that board is for Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge CPU's so no 918+ image for you

1. not sure which .pat file i need

depends of the loader you choose there is still 3615 or 3617 to choose for you

for the start stay below v24922 file and do not update to the latest in the web gui, it would complicate the install further

2. which synoboot file I need. 

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

as always - it depends on your choices

loader 1.02b = DSM 6.1

loader 1.03b = DSM 6.2

3. Do I need anything else?

enough time to read a lot and try things?

8 hours ago, noobieFelix said:

I managed to connect to my DIY DS3615Xs, however I got the next error.  No harddisk was found on DS3615XS

beside you are cross posting (its in general not a good behavior) you don't write anything about your hardware, i can assume you connected at least a hdd to your board/controller but there are limitations what storage hardware is supported (ahci is ok in general), it also depends on the loader and dsm version you try

for more "ancient" hardware loader 1.01 or quicknicks 2.2 loader with DSM 6.0 might be a good choice

DSM is not a full linux its a hacked appliance and drive can be a problem

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, thanks for the useful information. I have an old Toshiba Satellite which using the 3615 boot and pat succesfully loaded. I'm currently on the Crytical updates for the 6.1.7 DSM version. I'm not sure how should i update or apply those and most important, the link (https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7294-links-to-dsm-and-critical-updates/) shows 3 updates, all of them with the same name. Should i run all of them or just the third one?.

thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

regards
rookie query
this is my old pc which version fits best 6.0, 6.1, 6.2
these are the data

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Desktop Board Intel® DG41TY
8 GB DDR2 667/800
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Procesador Intel® Core™2 Quad Q8400
caché de 4 M, 2,66 GHz, FSB de 1333 MHz
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for your help this newbie

2 hours ago, deivis said:

regards
rookie query
this is my old pc which version fits best 6.0, 6.1, 6.2
these are the data

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Desktop Board Intel® DG41TY
8 GB DDR2 667/800
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Procesador Intel® Core™2 Quad Q8400
caché de 4 M, 2,66 GHz, FSB de 1333 MHz
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for your help this newbie

I've tried with sempron (socket A) and Pentium 4 (socket 775, G31 motherboard) it works and stick with DS3615sx.

However since its q8400, you'll pull more power than using newer generation cpu, I'm using currently Intel G630 and 4 Drives, it's only pulling 57watts from the wall, when I use sempron it pulls about 90-112watts with the same drive and power supply.

Edited by Keylock32

19 minutes ago, flyride said:

So you are verifying Netburst works with 6.x?

Yes, I had multiple old processors, even celeron D, but it's struggling with single core, dual core is minimum (Athlon X2, Intel E2140) but even then, these are old.

I do think there are apps that wont work with these processor (video decoding for example, plex) but since I don't use that apps, I dont really care.
I've used sempron for at least 6 months, and replace that with Intel e2200 for 3 months before migrating it completely to my current setup (running it for 4months already)
and for my usage 2GB ram usage seems overkill, these usage seems so light compared to freenas or xigmanas. I love it.

Hallo,

brauche unbedingt Hilfe!!!

ich wollte eine gut funktionierende Vers.5.2 auf 6.1.7 migrieren und bin auf dieses Tutorial gestoßen

bin bis zu Punkt 8 gekommen und es geht nicht weiter :-(  die Diskstation wurde gefunden gefunden

und ich konnte  auf migrieren gehen. Dann geht es nicht mehr weiter und die Diskstation wird beim

erneuten hochfahren nicht mehr erkannt. Was mache ich falsch ? (AMD Kernel Version 5.4.0-26-generic) 

komme ich wieder auf meine alte Version 5.2 zurück? denn wenn ich den alten USB Stick wieder einstecke

wird zwar gebootet, aber im Netzwerk ist nichts zu sehen

Hi,

I need your help.

I have resisted to update to DSM 6 for a very long time, but I finally came to a moment where I had to take the plunge.

I have been running Xpenology DSM 5.2-5644 Update 3 (DS3615xs) on a ESXI 5.5.0. I have 16 drives and for that I have modified my synoinfo.conf for maxdisks=24

esataportcfg="0xff000000"
usbportcfg="0x300000000"
internalportcfg="0xffffff"

I made a test VM first and brought it to same spec as my real VM, with the exception of the 16 drives. 

The update of the test VM went fine, with the exception that the 50MB boot drive was visible in the Storage Manager. I don't know if that is an issue or not.

Anyway, i proceeded to update my real VM with the disk raid still connected.

Installation went fine but after logging in for the first time DSM reports the RAID is crashed.

Checking the Volume manager I can see that max disks are reverted to 8.

I have edited synoinfo.conf for maxdisk=24 again after that, restarted the VM, but maxdisk are still 8.

I really hope that my raid is not really crashed and that this is fixable somehow, but I really need your help, gentlemen.

Do you have any suggestion for me that I can try on my test VM?

Do you need any more information to give a good answer?

Thanks!