XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

Hello,

I have a simple question for my environment.

Current config:

- DSM 5.2

- Works now on HyperV as Virtual Machine.
Disks:

- VM Disk: Synology
- Ide Controller CD/Rom disk iso loaded: XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5.iso

- 2x Physical Disks for all of my Data (Formatted in Synology as Raid) yes, it works great!!

Questions:

1. So just i want to update to 6.1.3 without losing any data on that Physical Disks What are the best scenarios for me?

2. On the first page of the tutorial which ISO or Image should i to use in my situation? (i have HyperV)

Hello all of you. I am completely new to this, I got my hands on an old pc (Fujitsu Celsius M470) that I would like to use as a NAS because I really need the Moments app by Synology, for creating shared photo albums with face recognition. I also have 4 spare HDD's that are ready to be used. So, I want to do a clean install, but I have no clue where to start. I found some old tutorials (between 2012 and 2015), but most times the links don't work anymore. Can anyone point me to a tutorial for a clean install with working links?

@Joep If you read post no.1 in this very thread, you will find

"If you are doing a fresh install of DSM 6.1 then carry on with the tutorial and omit references to DSM 5.2."

So, just follow that, any of the files you need to download you find here and the tools you need, you may find here.

@nex86 I have an idea, unless you are trying to do an update, ,make a new thread where you ask for help, 

and specify what loader you are booting from. And try to find some info about the network card you are using, as you are missing a driver.

• 3 weeks later...

So one more upgrade question.

I have the following setup

• DS3615xs (INTEL Core i3-4130)
  • DSM 5.2-5967 Update 9

• 1 volume of SHR-2 20TB (8x4TB WD Red)

at the following hardware setup

I can use this guide to make the jump to 6.1 for DS3615xs?

I don't care that much about the current DSM settings (but if i can keep them its great) and the data at the SHR2 are available elsewhere too (cloud & other backups).

I will keep the 5.2 USB drive and i will create a new one for the 6.1, can i boot from the 6.1 USB with a test drive (or with no drive) to check that everything is booting OK and then plug again all the drives to do the proper migration of 5.2 -> 6.1?

Thanx!

3 hours ago, md1032 said:

will create a new one for the 6.1, can i boot from the 6.1 USB with a test drive (or with no drive) to check that everything is booting OK and then plug again all the drives to do the proper migration of 5.2 -> 6.1?

yes, i'd suggest to install first to a single empty disk to make sure everything is working

after this you can disconnect the disk and use the same usb with out old disks, it will suggest to migrate

if you want you can also test loader 1.04b and 918+ with a single disk, 918+ has kernel 4.4.59 as base

for your board:

nic is realtek (r8169), sata should work as ahci (at least with the right bios settings)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, IG-88 said:

yes, i'd suggest to install first to a single empty disk to make sure everything is working

after this you can disconnect the disk and use the same usb with out old disks, it will suggest to migrate

if you want you can also test loader 1.04b and 918+ with a single disk, 918+ has kernel 4.4.59 as base

for your board:

nic is realtek (r8169), sata should work as ahci (at least with the right bios settings)

Thanx for your reply!

What are the advantages of 918+? I have read at the forum that the specific synology can be used mostly for plex transcoding, is there anything else i am missing?

Also, the SHR2 will be recognised immediately or do i have to do anything extra (i read at the FAQ that i need to change a line at a config)?

Edited by md1032

10 hours ago, md1032 said:

What are the advantages of 918+? I have read at the forum that the specific synology can be used mostly for plex transcoding, is there anything else i am missing?

newer kernel means newer and more driver, longer support (3615/17 might not get 7.0? next year), native nvme support (but for now no one found out how use it in xpenology)

11 hours ago, md1032 said:

Also, the SHR2 will be recognised immediately or do i have to do anything extra (i read at the FAQ that i need to change a line at a config)?

shr will also be recognised on 3615/17 but you can't create a new shr without the change from the faq, so no worry's when updating

Hello everyone,

Im trying to install Xpenology on Dell optiplex 7XX series. (Dual core 2.0Ghz+, 2GB RAM, 1HDD with AHCI Sata suportt and Serial's enabled)

I'm using "Quicknick’s Loaders DSM 6.1.X", downloaded from https://xpenology.club/downloads/

Unfortunatly in both cases (XPEnology_DSM_6.1.x-quicknick-3.0.zip and ds3615xs_DSM_6.1.x-quicknick-3.0.zip), I'm getting error message during OS install from a file (previously downloaded from synology site) - something about fille corruption.

My question is, what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for any replies,

Greetings

On 11/21/2019 at 4:55 AM, polik said:

I'm using "Quicknick’s Loaders DSM 6.1.X", downloaded from https://xpenology.club/downloads/

Unfortunatly in both cases (XPEnology_DSM_6.1.x-quicknick-3.0.zip and ds3615xs_DSM_6.1.x-quicknick-3.0.zip), I'm getting error message during OS install from a file (previously downloaded from synology site) - something about fille corruption.

My question is, what I'm doing wrong?

Quicknick's loader is not supported, and not supported here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to comment about Quicknick's loader.

I actually helped Quicknick debugging his loader for several months but he decided at the last minute not to release it for fear of legal reprisal. The person hosting that page with Quicknick's loader was supposed to provide a secondary/mirror hosting platform for him, as Quicknick and I were working on the main hosting solution. Unfortunately as mentioned above Quickinick decided against releasing the loader and that mirror hosting never removed the links, which in my opinion is wrong.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Trying to do this in on HP N40L with Intel PCIe NIC, but can't see the server in Synology Assistant.  I think I've followed the instructions correctly, and tried the alternative lzma to no avail.  Strange thing is I had 5.2 running on this same hardware without any issues.  Any other suggestions?

On 1/5/2020 at 10:40 AM, RangaWal said:

I think I've followed the instructions

depends on what instructions exactly

often that one is overlooked (seems most likely in you case as its not showing up and the tg3.ko driver for the onboard nic is part of the loader)

Note: Jun's loader supports Intel CPUs. For AMD CPUs Jun has stated that the loader needs some work but it has been reported by many users using HP machines that it actually works. The C1E function in the bios (in some HP machines) needs to be deactivated. I am unsure for other motherboards brands therefore if you have an AMD machine that is not an HP you might be out of luck. Try looking in the bios configuration and play around. 

also when using loader 1.03b for dsm 6.2 you cant use the latest v24922 without modding the loader you would stick to v23739 or mod it like here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/

Look at the lower section for ds3615xs and ds3617xs

18 hours ago, RangaWal said:

Thanks for your reply.  I followed the instructions in the original post in this thread.  Is there a newer method (and files) I can try?

if you have a look into the DSM Update reporting section you will find 6.2 entrys for your hardware

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12892-dsm-62-23739-update-2/?do=findComment&comment=94097

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13074-dsm-621-23824-warning/?do=findComment&comment=96793

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/22482-dsm-622-24922-update-4/?do=findComment&comment=128286

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/22482-dsm-622-24922-update-4/?do=findComment&comment=128925

in case of 6.2.2 like the two above the internal nic need new drivers for 6.2.2 (available only  for 3 weeks now) but the normal loader for 6.2 with its driver should at least bring up the internal nic, only the update(install of 6.2.2 brakes it, 6.2.0 (v23739) should run with the internal nic

Hi,

I have a HP N54l with 2GB RAM.

I tried to install xpenology with 1.02b loader, 6.1DSM and the boot is ok...then from my pc i finds it with find.synology.com and do the installation. It reboots.....the find.synology.com waits......but it never shows up.

I have followed the guide .....i don't know what i am doing wrong.

Can you please help?

Thanks

4 hours ago, than said:

I tried to install xpenology with 1.02b loader, 6.1DSM and the boot is ok...then from my pc i finds it with find.synology.com and do the installation. It reboots.....the find.synology.com waits......but it never shows up.

i guess you overlooked that its not just a update inside the main version of DSM (6.0, 6.1, 6.2), sure it was a update to 6.2 and that at least needs a different loader, as can be seen here:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

to make it a little more complicated with 6.2, when using the latest 6.2.2 you need different/additional drivers because of kernel changes synology made after 6.2.0 (the updater was offering 6.2.2 for sure)

so prepare a new usb with loader 1.03b and read here about using the new drivers (i assume 3615 was used for your older microserver)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/21663-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm622-for-3615xs-3617xs-918/

Thanks for your answer IG-88.

I want to install 6.1 because in order to install 6.2 i need to install a different NIC.

My problem is that even though the installation begins properly....i see it in find.synology.com after the first reboot it doesn't show up again.

Edited by than

On 1/13/2020 at 3:05 AM, IG-88 said:

i guess you overlooked that its not just a update inside the main version of DSM (6.0, 6.1, 6.2), sure it was a update to 6.2 and that at least needs a different loader, as can be seen here:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

to make it a little more complicated with 6.2, when using the latest 6.2.2 you need different/additional drivers because of kernel changes synology made after 6.2.0 (the updater was offering 6.2.2 for sure)

so prepare a new usb with loader 1.03b and read here about using the new drivers (i assume 3615 was used for your older microserver)

This tutorial is to update to DSM 6.1. The person wants to install DSM 6.1 not DSM 6.2. Loader v1.02b is perfectly suitable for that or did I miss something?

This said @than you could still update to DSM 6.2. However you would need loader v1.03b (assuming you are using DS3615xs/DS3617xs) as mentioned by @IG-88. No need for a new NIC if you do not go beyond DSM 6.2 (DSM 6.2.1, DSM 6.2.2) in which case you will need preferably an intel NIC (HP NC360T card for example).

On 1/13/2020 at 3:48 AM, than said:

Thanks for your answer IG-88.

I want to install 6.1 because in order to install 6.2 i need to install a different NIC.

My problem is that even though the installation begins properly....i see it in find.synology.com after the first reboot it doesn't show up again.

Did you disable C1E in the bios?

As stated above you do not need a different NIC for DSM 6.2. Only for versions above that (DSM 6.2.1 and higher).

Also if you are upgrading from DSM 5.2, you will need after the update to delete the .xpenoboot directory under Root (/) via ssh.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 9:48 PM, than said:

not if you follow the steps in the 2nd link, the new driver package contains a new drivers for the microservers broadcom onboard nic that works with 6.2.2

but for starting you can update to 6.1 and just follow the normal 6.1 tutorial (and update later to 6.2 when understanding the process better)

for "practicing" you might disconnect your disks and put your usual usb flash drive aside and use a fresh usb together with a empty disk (any old disk will be ok as long as its sata)

if you are done testing you can just connect all your old stuff and everything is as before

when being able to successful installing dsm 6.1 (fresh install) you might use that new usb flash drive (loader 1.02b)  to upgrade (migrate) your old disks with that to 6.1

from 6.1 to 6.2 its pretty much the same way, new loader needed (1.03b) and you can practice with a new usb and a empty disk until you have a way to do a fresh install of 6.2

its more complicated with 6.2 as version 6.2.1/6.2.2 are like a new DSM version compared to the initial version 6.2.(0), you cant user loader 1.03b for 6.2.2 without "modding" it (like in the 2nd link above)

so if new to the thing keep to the tutorial until you get more familiar with the process of installing (a hacked) version of dsm and then start doing things that build on the normal install tutorial (like the 6.2.2 thing)

• Like 2