XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

1 hour ago, Dfds said:

@ToTaLReFuSeD In order for people to help you please post what hardware you're using & current DSM version / boot loader.

Oh god. the hardware is a Intel CPU 4 core 3.2 ghz and it has 8GB RAM

the DSM version is the last before the me version 6. i an not remember what it is, i can not see it anymore atm. but i have disabled long time ago the auto update

because the warning is that u do not upgrade t DSM 6.

the NAS will not even connection, i can no enter by putty (ssh), is there way to get a console on my screen at the monitor that i have connected? to see what happend?

if i have no connection anymore i think i need to put my harddisk on an linux machine, where i hope can mount the disk to extract my data.

On 5/17/2019 at 4:28 PM, ToTaLReFuSeD said:

Hello Folks!!

HELP HELP im running all ready a long time this boot. and works so great!!!

now i was yesterday on the NAS and was wanted to give it a restart after 90 days be online, so i give the NAS the command Restart.

and i was waiting and waiting... and it can not back online. i was thinking that i maby did take Shutdown by accadent.

so when i get home that day i was looking and hte NAS was on... i tought ******* what is that.. so i hooked a monitor to it and saw the screen below.

i tought huh?? so i forced to put the power off... and restart the machine... and i see de bios boot screen adn the diskdrives are all loaded correctly with out problems

and i see the boot start from the Jun's bootloader and see the screen below again... but my NAS seems to be dead some how.. i have no access anymore...

Does someone can help me out? is there a recover mode to start in? or can i do someting at the machine to check drives or someting??

I hope i can get it back to live again so i can connect trought the webbrowser again.

and is it maby a good idea to upgrade to new 6.1 version.. yes i know i have to start with fresh installation so i need to get it back running so i can copy my data out.

Please Help requested :)

Best Regards,

Mark

59b7b67a7da5f_ScreenShot2017-09-12at5_25_20PM.jpg.94aada36cdc3023f6ef96ee5afa73292.jpg

That screenshot seems to indicate the loader is booting properly. Did you check on your router that the box is being assigned an IP address?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Successfully updated my N54L to 6.1.4-15217  tonight following this guide.  My first attempt failed after the first reboot after uploading the .PAT file.  I chose 'migration' and I think this is what ballsed it up for me.  I rolled back to 5.2  using the clean install option  (the loader knew I was previously on 6.1.4 so migration was not an option) and to my relief my volumes were still intact.  I then restored my config from backup and was back in business.

On my 2nd attempt I chose the clean install rather than a migration and this time it worked a treat and the NAS came back up and I was able to restore the config again.

If it is any help to N54l owners, you can see the built in NIC briefly turn off for maybe 2 secs during the boot stage (unlike XPEnoBoot you dont see the drivers load onscreen) and after another 20-30secs the NAS was pingable.

When it failed the first time, I didn't see the NIC turn off during boot.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,
I have been trying to install Xpenology using "DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.img", "DSM_ds3615xs_15217.pat" and installing "extra3615_v4.8" because I originally (and still) couldn't see the server on "find.synology.com" (and reading the info showed that the drivers for my NIC were included on it). I don't have any problems setting up my usb but still cannot see the server on my network. I have now tried installing DS3615 and DS3617 with and without "extra.Izma". This is driving me crazy...
 My system I am installing on is an 
Asus Z270H motherboard with Intel® I219V
CPU i5 8500
The system will boot perfectly and goes to the screen advising you to search using "find.synolgy.com". Several searches later i still cannot find it to install DSM. Can anyone advise me of what is the next step I should take to solve this problem. If there is more information I need to include please in this post let me know.

On 6/27/2019 at 4:36 PM, atoyer said:

Hi,
I have been trying to install Xpenology using "DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.img", "DSM_ds3615xs_15217.pat" and installing "extra3615_v4.8" because I originally (and still) couldn't see the server on "find.synology.com" (and reading the info showed that the drivers for my NIC were included on it). I don't have any problems setting up my usb but still cannot see the server on my network. I have now tried installing DS3615 and DS3617 with and without "extra.Izma". This is driving me crazy...
 My system I am installing on is an 
Asus Z270H motherboard with Intel® I219V
CPU i5 8500
The system will boot perfectly and goes to the screen advising you to search using "find.synolgy.com". Several searches later i still cannot find it to install DSM. Can anyone advise me of what is the next step I should take to solve this problem. If there is more information I need to include please in this post let me know.

LAN led on after boot?

Make sure all unnecessary features relating to networking in the bios are disabled.
Also make sure you are on the same subnet when searching for the box on the network and that your router is properly assigning an IP to the NIC. Check that.

Also did you set your NIC's MAC address in the grub.cfg file?

On 6/27/2019 at 5:57 PM, Polanskiman said:

LAN led on after boot?

Make sure all unnecessary features relating to networking in the bios are disabled.
Also make sure you are on the same subnet when searching for the box on the network and that your router is properly assigning an IP to the NIC. Check that.

Also did you set your NIC's MAC address in the grub.cfg file?

Thanks for the help.

To make a long story short. I had entered the wrong MAC address in... During my installation I had copied the MAC of the computer I was using to make my USB 🙄. Once I realized my mistake I proceeded to find the MAC of my new server and update it correctly. I found the MAC by beginning to install Windows on the pc (I always have a usb with windows install on it) until I could see the pc connected to my router and then copied it across. first, I just tried updating the grub.cfg but still couldn't see it. Next, I went back to the beginning and reformatted the USB and reinstalled everything from scratch and... BOOM! It's all working now. I know there are easier ways to get the MAC address from a pc without an operating system but beginning the install of Windows only took me 5 minutes before it showed up on my network. Maybe if someone has an easier solution they can add it to the installation instructions here. Thanks for the response and hope this helps someone else.

One last thing, I have been reading up on which DSM to install and if anyone has any advice for my specs I would be grateful. I am running an i5 7500 with 8gb Ram. I will use my server for Plex, surveillance backup, and storing Data. I just want the most stable and future proof build and I know Google is my friend but still am unsure if I should choose DS918+ for the hardware encoding advantage or DS3617 as it seems more popular...

Cheers

11 hours ago, Rackers said:

Great tutorial, worked on N54L - had to disable C1E in BIOS as previously mentioned otherwise DiskStation couldn't be found.

Thanks

Indeed. It's mentioned in the tutorial:

On 9/12/2017 at 5:59 PM, Polanskiman said:

Note: Jun's loader supports Intel CPUs. For AMD CPUs Jun has stated that the loader needs some work but it has been reported by many users using HP machines that it actually works. The C1E function in the bios (in some HP machines) needs to be deactivated. I am unsure for other motherboards brands therefore if you have an AMD machine that is not an HP you might be out of luck. Try looking in the bios configuration and play around. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Today i got courage and i put hands on the update from 5.2 to 6.1 but after install i cant find synology with find synology...

I have a hp proilant G8 microserver.

I read in the topic this but i dont know what does mean:

Note 1: If after following the tutorial you can’t find your NAS through http://find.synology.com ou Synology Assistant it is highly possible that the drivers of your NIC are not included in the ramdisk of the loader. Make an effort and use Google to know what modules your NIC and HDD controller are using, then check if those modules are included in the custom extra.lzma ramdisk. If yes then use the custom ramdisk. Don't ask me to look for you. If nothing works then ask your question.

Any tip?

Thanks in advance

On 7/20/2019 at 8:07 PM, fxpaco said:

Hello,

Today i got courage and i put hands on the update from 5.2 to 6.1 but after install i cant find synology with find synology...

I have a hp proilant G8 microserver.

I read in the topic this but i dont know what does mean:

Any tip?

Thanks in advance

Solved: The problem was my Proliant G8 network card is not compatible with DSM 6.2.

To solve it, i install a old version and now all works fine

After years of contemplating what to use as a replacement for my ageing Windows Home Server and failing miserably with the hassle of trying to force something to work, someone put me onto XPEnology and said it worked fine on the old Gen 7 Microservers.  As I have two N54Ls kicking around doing not very much, I found these instructions and gave it a go.  After maybe fifteen minutes of prep work and a few minutes of installation, I've got a full system which will replace that creaking old environment, including a functioning DLNA that will serve up my music in more or less the exact same way the TwonkyMedia service did.  And to think of all that wasted time faffing about with Linux!

The only issue I came up against was hitting the big green "Install" button, which dropped the latest PAT onto my server and scuppered it.  Use the "Manual Install" link instead and this gives the download option as mentioned in the instructions.

One of the servers is currently having several terabytes of data being copied to it.  The other I used as a test rig for upgrading to the latest version of 6.1.x.  I was able to take it all the way up to 6.1.7 release 3, with only one forced reboot to get to 6.1.7, so when the master server has got all the data on it, I can give that a whirl, safe in the knowledge I won't break it.

Many thanks to Jun for all the hard work on the installer and to Polanskiman for the very clear instructions. You've both saved me a lot of pain!

On 7/26/2019 at 10:53 PM, leopold said:

Many thanks to Jun for all the hard work on the installer and to Polanskiman for the very clear instructions. You've both saved me a lot of pain!

Glad you are up and running again. If I may, please make sure to always come to the forum to check the status of any update that DSM throws at you. It will save you (and us ;)) a lot of troubleshooting.

Have fun.

On 7/31/2019 at 12:21 PM, Polanskiman said:

Glad you are up and running again. If I may, please make sure to always come to the forum to check the status of any update that DSM throws at you. It will save you (and us ;)) a lot of troubleshooting.

Have fun.

Thanks, I intend to keep coming back to see about updates.  I had found an option which would be useful (I think it was to do with casting from Apple devices, but I could be wrong) which needs DSM 6.2, but I'm not about to buy hardware for this, so it'll be interesting to see if I can get this release with the internal card in the microserver.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, first I want to say thank you very much.

So, I made it work with my older hardware, against all odds, I run it on AMD Sempron, 1GB RAM, and Realtek NIC PCIe Gigabit, on top of that it's running on IDE mode instead of AHCI.

This was actually for my backup NAS and it serves me very well for almost a year.

Okay, that's the first hardware list, but now I upgrade it a bit to Dual Core AMD X2 4050e, and add another 6GB of RAM, because my FREENAS box flashdrive dead and I forgot to backup config, and this junkbox has became my main NAS, it manages 8TB of storage and most of the time it always hit 100MB/s at least with big files.

My first initial thought when building this box is the warning about AMD and IDE, but I have no issue at all, everything went smoothly.

Unfortunately while everything is went fine, I want to build another box for backup, but I didn't save any file from previous setup, and almost download files is either expired or removed, where to get this loader file, or can you reupload? thank you very much.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, flyride said:

Unless Hyper-V starts supporting more vNIC drivers, probably not.

See thisthisthis and this

I think it used to work in XPEnoboot as there are YouTube tutorials but I couldn’t get the nic driver to show up

if not, basically I was looking for an alternative to DSM to host in azure which acts as a web server and Heidi database. But I much prefer the web gui as I find it easy to maintain. I would say cPanel, but it’s not free and I’m tight fisted. I’m using my free MSDN credits in azure.

Greetings all ... Just a Follow up on my XPenology box that has been working since 5x was upgraded to 5.1 then to 5.2. on the original loader.  This is configured as a ds3615, it has only  4 Hard Drives.

Hardware is an old HP DC5800 E8400 that was used on the Xpen 5.x versions w no issues. Since this version of the motherboard / CPU hardware was not setup for UEFi Bios. it was using a MBR boot loader which was as it was w the original loader file for 5.x.

As per the instructions I used @Genesys's v1.02b file for the MBR boot functions when I made the USB. Of course we edit the grub file did the VID and PID and used the same MAC address and the serial number used for the DS 3615 which was used for Xpen 5.x: I also added to the image file for the 2nd partition - "extra.lzma" This may have not be required but I wanted to have all the bases covered. Just followed the instructions as listed and it worked. Changed to the new usb and reboot the computer.

Used Synology Assistant to find the server and connected to it to do the migration. Used the DSM_DS3615xs_15217.pat file to apply to the migrate by the Manual method.

DO NOT update from the SYNOLOGY servers.

Since this is an upgrade / migration the new Package Center wanted to have 3 installed packages upgraded which I did. (Old Pkgs not compatible w he newer DSM 6).

One of the reasons needed to upgrade to a newer DSM was that my Windows 10 pcs can now see the server since the old one DSM 5.x was not compatible due to no support for the SMB3 which W10 only now supports: this make it much easier to see in Network Neighborhood. 

As this is a PLEX server I also updated the PLEX software!

Thanks to all the dev's and others that worked on this project. Your work is appreciated.

I have a working DSM 6.1 installation using jun's 1.02b on an AMD E-350 system, and I'm trying to see if DSM 6.2 with the new new jun 1.04b and 1.03b loaders are compatible. I've followed the typical instructions but upon selecting the right option from the grub menu, the machine immediately restarts. I assume this is because they aren't compatible, or is it perhaps only because there's a driver missing. Is there an extra.lzma with more drivers for these loaders?