XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

Hello,

I've made the Update 5.2 to 6.17 on HP Gen Baremetal, 1.02b.

On 5.2 I had: 250GB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 2 TB , SHR/ext4 - and the speed was about 100-109 MBit/s

On 6.17 I have: 1 TB / 1 TB / 2 TB / 4 TB, SHR/btrfs - and the speed is max. 80, most times about 60 MBit/s

A complete Backup took with 5.2 18-20 hours.

Now I've tried a Backup: after 22 hours it was at 49% and I cancelled it. The speed was only a few kB.

What can I do? Back to ext4?

BTRFS CPU requirements are somewhat higher.  Synology released BTRFS support on the Atom chips (DS412+/1512+/1812+) and performance was measurably worse.  It's not as dramatic with faster CPU's.

I'd hazard that something isn't right.  What CPU?  What disk controller?

10 hours ago, TVJunky said:

Hello,

On 5.2 I had: 250GB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 2 TB , SHR/ext4 - and the speed was about 100-109 MBit/s

On 6.17 I have: 1 TB / 1 TB / 2 TB / 4 TB, SHR/btrfs - and the speed is max. 80, most times about 60 MBit/s

Now I've tried a Backup: after 22 hours it was at 49% and I cancelled it. The speed was only a few kB.

I bought a HP Proliant Microserver G1610T. I never changed the Hardware.

CPU Intel Celeron G1610T 2x 2,3GHz - I never saw a load over 50%. Normally about 10-20%

How can I find the type of Disk Controller? Or do you mean AHCI or so?

The picture shows running Hyper Backup. It lasts 3 times longer than before

grafik.thumb.png.9d9c61047d3109a25264fccff08399e4.png

The processor is adequate.  I'm not sure of source/destination of the backup, but your resource graph is showing very little network activity.

How many volumes do you have?  If you have four volumes, the lower left graph is indicating 100% disk utilization.

I'm not a fan of Hyperbackup.  When I did use it it was temperamental.  Did you port the existing setup over or create a new one using the 6.1.7 Hyperbackup binaries?

Thank you for this guide. Just finished Installing on my TerraMaster F4-220 as I could not stand the factory Terra-OS. For anyone interested in purchasing this NAS it has 5 sata ports, but only 4 front slots. I used the 5th port for an SSD and plan to use it as an SSD cache. 

IMG_20190101_044959.jpg

IMG_20190101_0450131.jpg

Edited by Diesel0991

I am trying install  DSM 6.2 Jun's Loader v1.04b DS918+ synoboot-ds918.zip , but didn't boot .

I was change :

set vid=change
set pid=change
set sn=change
set mac1=change

USB is not boot. I was tried DSM 6.1 3617 it is  booting ok. and tried DSM 6.2 3617 it is not boot.

where is problem?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First. Thanks for the guide. 

Well I was gonna to install this on my laptop, its an Hp Elitebook 6930p. 

During install Synology told me about something with an old file, that I need a newer or something (I think I downloaded the wrong on there server from the start).

I added a new one but it never worked. Some error. 

So the installation failed and now I got a bit of a headache. 

My laptop aint starting. It brings up the like loading menu as it did when I started the bootloader. 

Then it seems to try to connect to something (shows my MAC and some more info). 

Then BAM, "Non system or disk error". "replace and strike any key when ready. 

Now I tried starting up with a new usbloader, one with OpenMediaVault on it and then I tried with an SD card with a installer for LibroELEC on it. 

I tell the computer to boot from the usb/SDcard but it seems like it aint following my command. 

It just starts up that loading menu and then shows "Non system disk error" message. 

Any ideas? ATM the computer is busted and my balls to when the girlfriend finds out.

Would really, really appreciate some help here. Im so stuck and got no idea how to solve this! 

[Deleted a pic. Maybe shouldnt share My macadress.

IMG_20190212_234815.jpg

Edited by OhGodWhatDidIDo
Attached pics.

On 12/30/2018 at 5:09 AM, TVJunky said:

Hello,

Sorry to jump into an old topic.  I am in a similar boat, updating an old 6.0.2.

Regarding SHR, my understanding is:

1. Synology basically deprecated it?
  2. It can be re-enabled manually in dsm 6.x by uncommenting

I am considering using btrfs Raid1 > Raid5 (starting with 2 disks then gradually increasing and converting).  I understand Synology has made stability improvements so it is actually OK running btrfs in raid5.  Is this correct?  Is it possible @TVJunky is having difficulty because of SHR - or is SHR still recommended - even though it is deprecated?  

5 hours ago, rl77 said:

Sorry to jump into an old topic.  I am in a similar boat, updating an old 6.0.2.

Regarding SHR, my understanding is:

1. Synology basically deprecated it?
  2. It can be re-enabled manually in dsm 6.x by uncommenting

I am considering using btrfs Raid1 > Raid5 (starting with 2 disks then gradually increasing and converting).  I understand Synology has made stability improvements so it is actually OK running btrfs in raid5.  Is this correct?  Is it possible @TVJunky is having difficulty because of SHR - or is SHR still recommended - even though it is deprecated?  

SHR is not deprecated, it is not a sales factor in the upper-end of their line and there is additional complexity and slight performance impact for using it.  So in 6.x, until 6.2, it was disabled by default on the 3615/3617 image, but enabled on the 916 image.  An imported SHR volume will work fine.  In 6.2.x, you essentially have the option of using LVM when you create your Storage Pool ("fast" vs "flexible") which is how SHR is implemented.

To your RAID5 btrfs question, Synology does not using btrfs native RAID at all.  BTRFS only sees a single volume which is the output of MDRAID (without SHR) or LVM (with SHR).  So you can safely use any RAID approach you wish with BTRFS on Synology.

7 hours ago, flyride said:

SHR is not deprecated, it is not a sales factor in the upper-end of their line and there is additional complexity and slight performance impact for using it.  So in 6.x, until 6.2, it was disabled by default on the 3615/3617 image, but enabled on the 916 image.  An imported SHR volume will work fine.  In 6.2.x, you essentially have the option of using LVM when you create your Storage Pool ("fast" vs "flexible") which is how SHR is implemented.

To your RAID5 btrfs question, Synology does not using btrfs native RAID at all.  BTRFS only sees a single volume which is the output of MDRAID (without SHR) or LVM (with SHR).  So you can safely use any RAID approach you wish with BTRFS on Synology

@flyride Thanks for your clarifications! Good to know SHR is still an option.  I will uncomment it then in 6.1.7.  

• 3 weeks later...

So here is what happened to me.

Created usb-stick with Jun's official v1.02b loader on my HP N54l. Switched on server, synology assistant found the system and I started the migration process. I choose "keep my data and settings" but THEN i did not give him the correct "DSM_DS3615xs_15217.pat" file (there was a manual button which I did not click). Instead the synology assistant downloaded the newest version from the internet I guess and now the system won't boot up. What can I do now?

Edited by flitschbirne

On 3/7/2019 at 10:25 PM, flitschbirne said:

So here is what happened to me.

Created usb-stick with Jun's official v1.02b loader on my HP N54l. Switched on server, synology assistant found the system and I started the migration process. I choose "keep my data and settings" but THEN i did not give him the correct "DSM_DS3615xs_15217.pat" file (there was a manual button which I did not click). Instead the synology assistant downloaded the newest version from the internet I guess and now the system won't boot up. What can I do now?

FYI: Managed to role back to 6.1.7-15284...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone!

I know, this topic goes to migrating, but.

What if i do a new pendrive with a 6.idontknow version. Is my JBOD 4HDD volume will works with a new FW? I'm willing to start over the setting up, because i'm using this on an HP n40l just for movies. I'm using Plex solely. There are 5-6 users because i am my whole family's personalised aaand freakin' free Netflix :). There are two other problems also. I have just Mac, but i will handle it with Bootcamp. The other one, i don't have a single monitor at home. So it will adventurous i think. But i'm ready for that!

Thank you in advance! 

Edited by dvarwer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello Folks!!

HELP HELP im running all ready a long time this boot. and works so great!!!

now i was yesterday on the NAS and was wanted to give it a restart after 90 days be online, so i give the NAS the command Restart.

and i was waiting and waiting... and it can not back online. i was thinking that i maby did take Shutdown by accadent.

so when i get home that day i was looking and hte NAS was on... i tought ******* what is that.. so i hooked a monitor to it and saw the screen below.

i tought huh?? so i forced to put the power off... and restart the machine... and i see de bios boot screen adn the diskdrives are all loaded correctly with out problems

and i see the boot start from the Jun's bootloader and see the screen below again... but my NAS seems to be dead some how.. i have no access anymore...

Does someone can help me out? is there a recover mode to start in? or can i do someting at the machine to check drives or someting??

I hope i can get it back to live again so i can connect trought the webbrowser again.

and is it maby a good idea to upgrade to new 6.1 version.. yes i know i have to start with fresh installation so i need to get it back running so i can copy my data out.

Please Help requested :)

Best Regards,

Mark

59b7b67a7da5f_ScreenShot2017-09-12at5_25_20PM.jpg.94aada36cdc3023f6ef96ee5afa73292.jpg