XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.1.x (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

On 11/9/2018 at 8:08 PM, bearcat said:

@apple3000:

try these steps:

Activate the SSH service in DSM
Connect to your Synology with an SSH client (e.g. putty) (or from Win 10, open a cmd window, run : ssh my.nas.ip (replace with the actual IP)
Enter your credentials (user: admin)
Change folder to root (cd /)
Delete the folder (sudo rm -r .xpenoboot)
If the SSH service keeps stopping, you have to be quick.

yes, I succeeded before somedays from this replication , thank you, too.

i succeeded from 5.2. 5967 DS3615sx to 6.2.23739 DS918+ with 1.03a2 boot loader.

and upgraded 6.2.23739 to 6.2.23824 update1 with 1.04b boot loader. So now i am satisfied.

but it was testing pc.

Now I must apply to using pc. I have to  upgrade cpu(at least intel 4gen) and motherboard. Maybe it will be succeed.

Can anybody help me ?

i just did all this Steps but on this Point where i should install the NAS i can not find it in the Synology Assistant.

i have following Device:

http://old.zotac.com/de/products/mini-pcs/zbox/intel/product/intel/detail/zbox-id89-plus-6/sort/starttime/order/DESC/amount/10/section/specifications.html

• 2 weeks later...

I got through the tutorial, everything seemed to install properly, got to 100% and it says the system is restarting, had a 10 min countdown.  I waited and finally the countdown finished only to now it can't find the Diskstation.  I downloaded the Synology Assistant and it still can't find it.  I've restarted the unit several times and nothing.  Can anyone help?  What other info would you need from me, I'm pretty much a newb that tried to follow the instructions as best I could.

Thank you!

I'm so sorry for all of the newb questions.  I'm starting over and trying Jun v1.04b and DS918+, however, following the tutorial, I can't seem to find a way to get the sn updated in the grub file.  All of the sn generator link I found are for 3615, 3617 and 916.  Can someone help me find where I need to go to find a SN generator for 918 so I can update the grub file?  Thank you so much for any help.

4 hours ago, ixlkicker said:

I'm so sorry for all of the newb questions.  I'm starting over and trying Jun v1.04b and DS918+, however, following the tutorial, I can't seem to find a way to get the sn updated in the grub file.  All of the sn generator link I found are for 3615, 3617 and 916.  Can someone help me find where I need to go to find a SN generator for 918 so I can update the grub file?  Thank you so much for any help.

You should be able to update the S/N to a 'personal' one using any string of letters/numbers of the correct length. You don't need a generated S/N

24 minutes ago, sbv3000 said:

You should be able to update the S/N to a 'personal' one using any string of letters/numbers of the correct length. You don't need a generated S/N

Thank you for responding!  So I just went back to Jun v1.02b and DSM3617.  The part I missed following the tutorial was I had to do a manual install.  I didn't do that the last two attempts as I didn't see that part, but reading some of the comments and retracing my steps, I found that I needed to manually load the .pat file and now it's working.  Everything is going great so far.  Just doing a parity consistency check and creating a volume right now.  Very excited it's working right now.  Thanks again!

20 hours ago, ixlkicker said:

I used DSM_DS3617xs_15217 and V1.02b for DSM 6.1 (current).  Should I have used DS918 instead?

By using the DS918+ version, your Terramaster seems to be compatible with the "latest and greatest" DSM 6.2.1.

Since you tried the automatic install of the .pat, I'm guessing it downloaded this, and the drivers for your nic is not supported under DS3617, causing your failed install.

If you keep the DS3617, make sure you don't update to DSM 6.2.1, unless other users confirms it to work.

Hello,

In the past I had a functional DSM 6.1.7 on ds3615xs using Jun's BL v1.02b. The used HW is the one described in the signature. By my mistake, I validate the upgrade action, from 6.1.7 to 6.2 ==> my DSM server has been bricked out.

Ok! After a lot of failures to make my server working again (including playing with BL v1.03a2+ds918+, BL v1.03b+ds3615xs) I gave up and I've erased everything on the HDD, having in mind to start again, from the beginning with a clean install (as I've done in the past, considering if I've done that, then I should be able to do it again!)

So, I took a fresh new BL v1.02b and I've done all operations regarding the VID/PID/SN/MAC1 as I've done before. My intention is to make a fresh install of DSM 6.1.7 on ds3615xs.

(my server's HDD - a 3TB SATA-III has been erased and at this moment not even a partition is not created on him!)

But... !!!

When I restart the server (having the prepared usb stick, connected in one of the usb port), either in UEFI mode or Legacy mode, the screen with "Happy hacking" appears, but after a while he restarts over and over again... Meanwhile, using Synology Assistant, I couldn't see anything in the LAN (as Synology server...)

What I've missed? I try also with/without extra_lzma customized file (I think -but I am not so sure- in the past, when the server has workinged, I used this customized file...)

Still wonder why I do not see anything in the LAN and why the server reboots after a while?!

Any suggestion(s)?! 

Thx in advance...

Hello guys,

I’m currently trying to install DSM on my ASRock Q1900 board. And I would appreciate your help very much. Many thanks in advance! Hope I'm posting to the correct thread.

After having troubles with the ASRock Q1900’s NIC, I bought the Intel Intel EXPI9301CTBLK which was listed as a working network card at http://xpenology.me/compatible/

Actually I bought and plugged-in this one: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B001CY0P7G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I took Jun’s loader (V1.02b for DSM 6.1) for DS916+ and even replaced the extra.lzma with IG-88’s one.

The grub-file’s mac entries I configured like 

eth0-mac —> mac1 entry

eth1-mac —> mac2 entry

and netif_num was set to 2.

After „Booting the kernel“ I still cannot find the DiskStation in my network. Tried both network cards.

Does anyone of you have an idea what I possibly could still miss?

Many Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I get the error that the usb stick cannot be boot (Error booting boot disk - insert boot disk and press any key). I tried different sticks and still getting the error. I wrote the img file with win32diskimager. Is there a trick to get it recognized?

disk8.jpg

Is it because my board got no UEFI boot?

Edited by estrichleger

4 hours ago, estrichleger said:

Tried this, too. Bootloader is the one from the img which is here

The image you posted are NOT telling us what bootloader you tried to use.

What file did you download, and from where?

As you can see here there are more than 1 to choose from...

Edited by bearcat
Added a link

@estrichleger It might be to early to say.... :42_confused: (whatever...)

but I think your undefined mainboard, with your undefined Atom CPU, might be using an x86 (32bit) CPU.

If so, you can either build your own bootloader :35_thinking: or you will have to use one of the legacy bootloaders for 32 bit.

You may try to use a bootloader for DSM 4.1 or 4.3