XPEnology Community

DSM 6.x.x Loader (with MBR partition Table)

Genesys

Hello,

The Jun's versions 1.01 (DSM 6.0.2) and 1.02B (DSM 6.1X) are rebuild with a MBR partition table.

I have put on the repository all images that i have rebuild with my automated conversion (MBR Partition table versions) tool.

The repository link is here : https://mega.nz/#F!cIUXnCSS!VruDf235t2uLcRxIjji3qQ

Hoping to move forward the XPEnology community.

PS : The files "Convert_By_Genesys" contains the number of loader version and the partition table format use.
PS2 : I will continue to make MBR Partition table version for next loaders.

PS3 : The code base of my Automated Conversion Tool is the same as Jun's : https://github.com/kref/scripts

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Thanks man this is awesome. I have a question though - is there any chance to get what you've done there into 1 single MBR partition? 

I've managed to get DSM 5.2 and the older xpenology loader running on a single hard drive without any usb on a kimsufi dedicated server. The loader is basically sitting on a small active partition sitting between the OS and data partitions. It works great and was really hoping to run DSM6 but just need the loader to all be in 1 partition. Any chance that's an easy thing to do?

Thanks again for all your hard work!

7 hours ago, ideasman69 said:

Thanks man this is awesome. I have a question though - is there any chance to get what you've done there into 1 single MBR partition? 

I've managed to get DSM 5.2 and the older xpenology loader running on a single hard drive without any usb on a kimsufi dedicated server. The loader is basically sitting on a small active partition sitting between the OS and data partitions. It works great and was really hoping to run DSM6 but just need the loader to all be in 1 partition. Any chance that's an easy thing to do?

Thanks again for all your hard work!

If you want you can test the loader of Jun's in version 1.01 because he has one partition with all files. The second partition in this version is not used.

Warning : The loader version 1.01 it's good version for DSM 6.0.2 but not the last version of DMS 6.1.3. Read the topic of Polanskiman before begin your migration.

The loader version 1.01 is available on my repository.

If your test is okay, i can modify the last version for you and rebuild with one partition if you want.

I don't want to modify the last version in first time because i want to be sure that all is okay for you in DSM 6.0.2.

• Polanskiman changed the title to DSM 6.x.x Loader (with MBR partition Table)
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Genesys is it possible to make a .iso/.img compatible with NON-EFI computers please?

I am trying to put an old HP DC7800P to good use at home but unfortunately it will not boot anything that resembles UEFI, i have tried about 10 different USB sticks until now different brands and sizes but it will not boot i have a small _ that blinks and that is it...

If i make a bootable windows xp with any of the usb sticks it will boot up instantly.

Thank you,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2017 at 4:20 PM, iondarie said:

@Genesys is it possible to make a .iso/.img compatible with NON-EFI computers please?

I am trying to put an old HP DC7800P to good use at home but unfortunately it will not boot anything that resembles UEFI, i have tried about 10 different USB sticks until now different brands and sizes but it will not boot i have a small _ that blinks and that is it...

If i make a bootable windows xp with any of the usb sticks it will boot up instantly.

Thank you,

yes that would be awesome for me 2 !

My system is unable to boot from a multi partion usb disk. Currently  I am on DSm 5.2.

As to update to DSM 5.1 I did the following: Created a usb disk with the DSM 5.1 ISO (the only boot that works on my system) and overwrite files from the 5.2 img.

I was thinking of doing the same with the DSM 6.xx loader. That means ignoring the first grup partion and coping files from the syslinyx (second partition)

Unfortunately this involves the conversion of  grub.cfg to syslinux.cfg

Below is my  current progress of "translating" grub.cfg to syslinux.cfg

UI menu.c32
PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 50
DEFAULT xpenology
MENU TITLE XPEnology with Jun's Mod v1.02b

LABEL xpenology
       MENU LABEL XPEnology with Jun's Mod v1.02b
       KERNEL /zImage
	   INITRD /rd.gz /extra.lzma
       APPEND rootdev=/dev/md0 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 HddHotplug=0 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs vender_format_version=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 withefi elevator=elevator quiet syno_port_thaw=1 model=3615 bootdev=usb sn=..... vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 mac1=..... 	 

Thus far I am able to boot but cannot get past the "booting the kernel message" -- cannot find my nas using the sysnology assistant or the "http://find.synology.com/"

Somehow I am still missing arguments ....

Any help/ ideas ?

Edited by kmarios

• 1 month later...

Genesys, hopefully you or someone smarter than me can help me solve my problem.

I have a HP Media smart server ex475 that will only boot from MBR and only one partition on usb drive. I have tried about 10 different usb creators and nothing works because they will say unbootable image, etc. I am trying Juns and your bootloader images.

What will work and create a bootable image is using Rufus and the Xpenology image, not Juns bootloader. So, is there a way to create a single partition Juns bootloader?

Thanks/Merci.

Hi 

I would also hear out to have a one partition MBR loader for these old shitty PCs, so i can also use the HP dc7800p convertible tower to boot to set up a DSM instead ot the current windows at work.

@Genesis 

May you have any plans on dealing with this or to give some hints where to start looking for it?

Thanks

Mark

• 1 month later...

I have a motherboard Supermicro x7spa-h-d525 based on which I would like to make a NAS.
If you use the original boot image of Jun, you get an error: error 0x363d from hd0, failure error reading sector 0x3561 from hd0,

Found this theme with a modified bootloader. Made bootable usb, but again I receive an error - failure reading serctor 0x3b8d from hd0

24 minutes ago, zhigylov said:

I have a motherboard Supermicro x7spa-h-d525 based on which I would like to make a NAS.
If you use the original boot image of Jun, you get an error: error 0x363d from hd0, failure error reading sector 0x3561 from hd0,

Found this theme with a modified bootloader. Made bootable usb, but again I receive an error - failure reading serctor 0x3b8d from hd0

Sounds more like a disk failure, have you verified the disk is ok. Also I'd suggest trying another disk & possibly using a different USB stick.

6 минут назад, Dfds сказал:

Sounds more like a disk failure, have you verified the disk is ok. Also I'd suggest trying another disk & possibly using a different USB stick.

I used three different usb disks.
Wrote the boot image from two computers.

• 4 weeks later...

There are two FAT16 PRIMARY partitions in the mod loader. Is there any way to make it ONE partition?

I am doing an experiement, trying to install the loader to the HDD on which DSM is installed.

On the HDD on which DSM is installed, there are already three PRIMARY partitions. That means, I can only add one more PRIMARY partiion due to the restriction of MBR.

There will be no PRIMARY partition restriction for GPT, I know. I have tried. I can copy the partitions, but failed to boot. So I am trying the MBR way.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much for the compile.

Just tested your compile on a Dell Vostro 200 (e8400 cpu, 4 gb ram) and it seems to work perfectly .

I just wanted to check the MD5 hash (also posted about that in the links forum) as your repository seems to have a different compiled version with a md5 of e30615bd02002479b58650c0862f25c4

DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b (MBR_Genesys)

Many thanks for the hard work.

I'm probably going to buy a real Synology NAS but I wanted to test it's function in a non-live setting to see if it's worth paying for the higher end versions.

36 minutes ago, NasNoobie said:

Thank you very much for the compile.

Just tested your compile on a Dell Vostro 200 (e8400 cpu, 4 gb ram) and it seems to work perfectly .

I just wanted to check the MD5 hash (also posted about that in the links forum) as your repository seems to have a different compiled version with a md5 of e30615bd02002479b58650c0862f25c4

DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b (MBR_Genesys)

Many thanks for the hard work.

I'm probably going to buy a real Synology NAS but I wanted to test it's function in a non-live setting to see if it's worth paying for the higher end versions.

Editing mistake. Fixed.

I did this work for my system (atom230). atom230 supported mbr only, and I can't change my bios setting (there was no method)to support for (U)EFI/GPT.

manually I did partitons (2 partitons) and cp files from gpt image.

anyway I think this work is great.

Edited by nymph

• 2 months later...