XPEnology Community

So I recently upgraded my bare metal box to 6.1.3 running the DS3615xs profile.  Everything seems to be operating okay but in the info section of DSM the serial number is blank, should it be?

I seem to remember my previous version had a serial number present.  I'm using the native MAC address of my NIC.  I have edited the grub.cfg file and included a serial number generated from here:- https://xpenology.github.io/serial_generator/serial_generator_new.html

(Just as an aside, is there an easy way to access the grub.cfg file through the NAS?  Unplugging it and mounting it into macOS is a bit of a pain).

Edited by steve23094

Have you checked with syno assistant?

You might have corrupted the grub file serial setting (can happen with some editors). Also, its my understanding that you dont need a 'real' serial number and mac unless using a syno account (an abuse of syno services I think) so you could use any sequence

For editing grub, have you tried swapping the usb disk to another usb port, it should then mount for editing, not sure how that might affect your next boot

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/09/2017 at 11:09 PM, sbv3000 said:

Have you checked with syno assistant?

You might have corrupted the grub file serial setting (can happen with some editors). Also, its my understanding that you dont need a 'real' serial number and mac unless using a syno account (an abuse of syno services I think) so you could use any sequence

For editing grub, have you tried swapping the usb disk to another usb port, it should then mount for editing, not sure how that might affect your next boot

Syno Assistant is blank too.

On 9/7/2017 at 0:00 AM, steve23094 said:

I seem to remember my previous version had a serial number present.  I'm using the native MAC address of my NIC.  I have edited the grub.cfg file and included a serial number generated from here:- https://xpenology.github.io/serial_generator/serial_generator_new.html

(Just as an aside, is there an easy way to access the grub.cfg file through the NAS?  Unplugging it and mounting it into macOS is a bit of a pain).

Plug it in on a Windows 10 machine and both partitions of the usb will mount. You could also try the image made by @Genesys which is MBR based and mounts even on MAC without the need of command line. That image contains the original loader. Check my tutorial.

You should recheck if you added the MAC address properly. It should be as following in the grub file:

set mac1=AABBCCDDEEFF

There should not be colons between each pair. Check also for trailing spaces.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2017 at 10:00 AM, steve23094 said:

Try to unplug USB and plug it back in a few seconds. It should show in the File Station on the NAS.