XPEnology Community

Advice on upgrade path from DSM 5.2-5644 to 6.*

cut.la.roc

Hi,

I am currently running DSM 5.2-5644 and would like to upgrade DSM 6.* to access some of the new features and also the security patches.

My hardware is ASROCK Q1900ATX with 8GB of RAM and 3x4TB drives.

What is my most straightforward/reliable upgrade path from this setup that's keeps my data intact?

Thanks in advacne.

20 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

There is a  tutorial pinned. At the top. Really hard to miss.

So you think I haven't seen that?  Or perhaps you just have low tolerance for people with less technical expertise than yourself?

Given the 40+ pages of various issues on that thread I don't think it's unreasonable for me to politely ask for a little guidance.

I would recommend the following;

Always do a test build/install with a spare HDD (disconnect your raid drives) before any upgrade and take a backup

I would upgrade from to the 5644 loader to 5.2-5967.1 loader first, this is not essential just puts you on the 'latest version' of 5.2;

Install 5644 test system on spare HDD> create 5967 boot loader > migrate > check all ok

Once you have that then do your test upgrade from 5.2-5967 to 6.0/6.1 (depending on your hardware);

Create new boot image from @Polanskimans tutorial > Boot > migrate > check all ok

If you are running additional drive controllers you might need to check with the HDD connected to make sure its recognised

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sbv3000 said:

I would recommend the following;

Always do a test build/install with a spare HDD (disconnect your raid drives) before any upgrade and take a backup

I would upgrade from to the 5644 loader to 5.2-5967.1 loader first, this is not essential just puts you on the 'latest version' of 5.2;

Install 5644 test system on spare HDD> create 5967 boot loader > migrate > check all ok

Once you have that then do your test upgrade from 5.2-5967 to 6.0/6.1 (depending on your hardware);

Create new boot image from @Polanskimans tutorial > Boot > migrate > check all ok

If you are running additional drive controllers you might need to check with the HDD connected to make sure its recognised

Hi,

Many thanks for your suggestions, i'll give it a go.

So you think I haven't seen that?  Or perhaps you just have low tolerance for people with less technical expertise than yourself?

Given the 40+ pages of various issues on that thread I don't think it's unreasonable for me to politely ask for a little guidance.

If I had no tolerance for people with less technical expertise than me I would not have written all those tutorials and spend literally 100s of hours assisting people. I do it to help out.

Now, where I do have low to no tolerance at all (specially because it is written in the rules and guidelines of the forum) is for people who don't read and simply glare at the forum and start asking questions, questions which have been answered over and over again.

Those 40+ pages of issues you are citing are 99% of the time the consequence of people not taking the time to read thoroughly.

My answer to you was actually helping you while trying to promote your sense of curiosity and search but it seems you didn't understand the message. If I am pointing you to that tutorial it is because I believe it is suited to your case else I would have elaborated on a more substantial answer.

You are of course free to ask questions and that is the purpose of a forum.

In order not to be totally off-topic, there is actually no need to update to 5.2-5967.1. You can upgrade from where you are. Good luck with the upgrade.