XPEnology Community

Virtual Machine Manager Error due to insufficient RAM on the host

centeredki69

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Hp Microserver Gen10 on Jun Loader, DSM 6.1.5. for DS3617xs: everything super fine except Virtual Machine Manager, not enough memory to start VMs despite my 16 Gb Ram (!).

I don't know how to recompile the kernel for enabling the virtualization extensions for the AMD processor, this should fix the issue for me...

What is worse is that after manually removing the Virtual Machine Manager app I cannot reinstall it anymore, I always get an error.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Alex

• 1 month later...

Has there been any progress in getting VMM to work on an AMD machine?  I have had strange results.  I first did a test run on an old HD I had laying around and the installation would not work with any PAT file I downloaded.  I always got an error message that I the file was not appropriate for the 3617xs.  However loading the latest from Synology worked and the installation went without a hitch. I installed the VMM from Synology and had a working Ubuntu virtual machine.  Went out and bought a couple of NAS hard drives and tried to repeat the process with a Raid 1 configuration.  Now I get the dreaded not enough memory on the Host machine even though nothing has changed except the hard drives.  I have tried both the 3615xs and 3617xs loaders.  I do have 16GB of ram installed and the system indicates 13GB free.  I wish I knew enough to help solve the issue but have to plead ignorance of modern programming languages.   I don't understand how it can work once but not again. I wish I had just changed my basic to a type 1 Raid when I had it working. Did anyone else figure out how to make it work.  Virtualization is turned on in the BIOS (tried it both enabled and disabled),  Hopefully someone has figured out how to make this work.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Le 01/08/2018 à 19:44, jarugut a dit :

If you have a N54L forget it, it's not works. For the N54L you must to use the PHPvirtualbox.

https://xpenology.com/forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=3042

Hi jarugut, 

Tried a lot of Virtualbox .spk from various files from you or others but It has failed installation everytimes on DSM 6.1.7-15284 saddly :( on an N54L. Almost always got a "corrupt spk" at first, and in the end it always fails to install... Any idea why that is ? 

Thanks a lot !

Edited by kingsokar

11 hours ago, kingsokar said:

Hi jarugut, 

Tried a lot of Virtualbox .spk from various files from you or others but It has failed installation everytimes on DSM 6.1.7-15284 saddly :( on an N54L. Almost always got a "corrupt spk" at first, and in the end it always fails to install... Any idea why that is ? 

Thanks a lot !

Hi Kingsokar,

I attach you the virtualbox that works with version DSM 6.1.7, I have running this virtualbox on my N54L Gen7 server without problems.

Note: Not upgrade to DSM 6.2 , if you upgrade your xpenology then it will not works anymore, the kernel is different.

imagen.png.c7fc4759639a4ae9e1abf98bb36524fe.png

VirtualBox_x64_5.0.40-115130-1_6.1.7.spk

Thanks jarugut, at first it didn't work again so i thought i had to have missed something... And I did... So just for people who might have the same issue as I did : 

• Make sure you create the folder "VirtualBoxVMs" before trying to install Virtualbox
  • Make sure your web station has a the right settings (nginx and not apache, soap setting activated), otherwise you'll have a "php error" when trying to run virtualbox after installing it.

Thanks again jarugut ;).

• 1 year later...
57 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

the synology kernel does not have amd support so it seems unlikley that a feature like SVM will be usable in DSM/VMM

Yes, I've saw your posts about this. It seems that I won't be able to use VMM on my N40L in the near future. 

• 8 months later...

Now in latest packade VMM declared AMD support:

1885518219__Screenshot2021-01-09022817.thumb.png.253f0537639616547ee32417e36a71a5.png

I Have HP microserver Gen10 (AMD Opteron X3216, 8Gb DDR4) with 1.04b loader and latest DSM 25426 update 3
SVM enabled in BIOS, but VMM still not work.

with 2+ Gb memory for Guest - standart message:

1788881664_Screenshot2021-01-09023101.png.d1766205374ddd768f19f88f11f2800e.png

with 1Gb in Guest OS - another message:

779075505_Screenshot2021-01-09023228.png.c9f63e611c903b44250d303e68982096.png

I try check "compatability mode" in CPU propertyes for Guest - no changes.

Any new ideas?

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2018 at 6:28 AM, letter6 said:

i have same issue when trying vmm at xpenology (xpenology as esxi 6.5 vm) then i follow this step https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2012/08/how-to-enable-nested-esxi-other.html 

and working perfect

image.thumb.png.eb9a95925f05a7bb0b021fd1494c7df7.pngimage.thumb.png.c0786257f0b25abff1f5693c00e0823e.png

This!!!

Wanted to see if a backup Windows server would run off NAS in emergency.

Testing using xpenology on esxi before buying Synology NAS. 2 ESXi machines same issue. 

In ESXi allowing Expose hardware assisted virtualization to the guest OS sorted it.

Boom in my browser I see my test backed up windows server running on a NAS VM.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...