XPEnology Community

Virtual Machine Manager Error due to insufficient RAM on the host

centeredki69

Hi everyone!

I am having an issue with VMM,  After I create a VM. When I try to start it .It's show me an error "Failed to power on the virtual machine " name of my VM" on the host " name of my NAS" due to insufficient RAM on the host." And the VM will not start.

I have installed DS3615xs  OS with JUN's loader. CPU is a  Core 2 Duo E6600 and I have 8 gigs of RAM installed. 

Any feedback would be appreciated,

Thanks

screen shot.png

16 hours ago, Dfds said:

Some info regarding the VM you're trying to setup might help, i.e. processor, memory allocated etc.

I have alocated all the options available from 1 gig to 8.  But of course I can't use 8 as there would be none left for the host.  I have also tried from 1 to 3 CPUs / cores.

I have tried win 7 iso, win10 iso, server 2016 ios.  It just will not start.  It's like it the VM can't see the host info, although it is displayed under the host info area (4 cores and 8gig RAM)

Edited by centeredki69

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem for me :(

HP microserver N54L - 16Gb (grub.cfg with "disable_mtrr_trim") - Jun 1.02b - DSM 6.1.3u4

Test 6.1.3 and 6.1.3u4

delete VM & uninstall VMM = Error

Need Intel CPU with VT-x / VT-d ?

Compatibility - Applied Models

18-series: DS3018xs, DS918+, DS718+, DS218+
17-series: FS3017, FS2017, RS4017xs+, RS18017xs+, RS3617xs+, RS3617xs, RS3617RPxs, DS3617xs, DS1817+, DS1517+
16-series: RS18016xs+, RS2416+, RS2416RP+, DS916+
15-series: RC18015xs+, DS3615xs, DS2415+, DS1815+, DS1515+, RS815+, RS815RP+
14-series: RS3614xs+, RS3614xs, RS3614RPxs
13-series: RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+
12-series: DS3612xs, RS3412xs, RS3412RPxs
11-series: DS3611xs, RS3411xs, RS3411RPxs

System requirements

Btrfs Volume
4GB system memory or above
DSM 6.1.2 or above

key : g7 gen7 N40L N36L

Edited by alainb

2 hours ago, alainb said:

delete VM & uninstall VMM = Error

You need to stopp all virtaul services from cli and remove the app folders manually.

There was a thread about it, i did not find em anymore. sorry.

Its also not working with my xeon bare metal.

Edited by Wurstpilot
  • Like 1

I got a Win7Pro64 VM working on my baremetal Q1900ITX.  I only gave it 2 cores and 1GB of RAM.  The low level of RAM was a problem, but everything works and its surprisingly responsive if I'm not doing anything on it.  

I'm running Jun's 1.02b, 6.1.3U4, DS3615xs 

I did read somewhere that in order for VMM to work on synology boxes, you had to be running Brtfs and not ext4

On 25. 9. 2017 at 8:15 PM, toastboy said:

I got a Win7Pro64 VM working on my baremetal Q1900ITX.  I only gave it 2 cores and 1GB of RAM.  The low level of RAM was a problem, but everything works and its surprisingly responsive if I'm not doing anything on it.  

I'm running Jun's 1.02b, 6.1.3U4, DS3615xs 

I did read somewhere that in order for VMM to work on synology boxes, you had to be running Brtfs and not ext4

but i have other problem have you tried Virtual machine manager ? on proxmox 5

i got i5 760 cpu 6 gb ram 5Gb acessible for DSM 6.1 update5

i have installed vmm, created storage, switch, vm,  but i can't start it,  i got message "not enought memory" - problem with SLAT ? i5 760 support SLAT - EAT 

vmm says it has 4.5 GB available for virtualization, so i think it would be problem that it is hosted virtualization maybe proxmox cant do that at all

i now that it is possible to host proxmox on esxi 

i have tested barebone USB dsx3615 1.02b notebook dell D830 with 2GB ram witch C2D cpu without SLAT and i manage to make vm with 128 MB ram and 1 core that booted to hirens boot cd XP so it is working (128MB of RAM becasue anything bigger cant start)

but something happen and vmm says at reboot of dsm, that can't acess storage but in vmm i see that vmm is ready and see storage  :smile: , can't delete it, because there are vm running :smile: but vm aren't running, never was :smile:  memmory error, cant delete cluster error cant delete vm error :smile: cant uninstall vmm error :smile:, so vmm sits there consume about 10 to 25 % of cpu and do nothing :smile: takes 130 gb of clean vm disk space :), cant get rid of it

installed htop midnight commander and tried delete vm disks manualy but cant it is used doesnt have rights

tried kill some proceses virtual manager simmilar , nothing help's :smile:, doesnt know linux enought , i have 1 TB data on it cloud backup i don't wan't destroy DSM :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi 

To remove the app.

Did this last night as been getting the same error's as above just have not reinstalled to test again.

was going to look for virtualbox spk as had that on DSM 5.2

SSH in 

ls /volume1/@appstore
to get a list of apps installed

Try

synopkg stop Virtualization
synopkg uninstall Virtualization

OR 

This will remove all the files 

rm -rf /volume1/@appstore/Virtualization

Reboot and it will be uninstalled on my test vm i had to open package center and the uninstall again and rebooted.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2017 at 1:41 PM, alainb said:

I can confirm this worked for me! With VT-x disabled, I kept getting the error about not having enough memory (even though I have 16GB).

I guess the error DSM throws up is quite generic since Synology have a compatibility list for VMM and don't expect people running it on "unsupported" devices.

46 minutes ago, filippo333 said:

I can confirm this worked for me! With VT-x disabled, I kept getting the error about not having enough memory (even though I have 16GB).

I guess the error DSM throws up is quite generic since Synology have a compatibility list for VMM and don't expect people running it on "unsupported" devices.

So exactly what are you confirming To get the VMM to work?

9 hours ago, toastboy said:

Go into your BIOS and enable everything you have that is associated with virtualization:  VT-X, VT-D, etc.  Older motherboards have an option just called "Virtualization" or "Virtualization Technology". 

Thank you for the suggestion. However this has been enabled in the Bios from the start.  I have also reset the Bios to factory settings and then re-enabled VT with still no luck.  

This makes no sense unless a processor with SLAT is required, which mine does not support.  It does support VT.

Thanks again

I don't know if SLAT is necessary because (according to Intel) my J1900 doesn't support SLAT or VT-X but I have no problems with VMM.  I have a Win10 and a Win7 VM on it and I can run either with no problems.  

I also have another XPE build on a G4620 and it runs a Win7 VM great but will fail on a Win10 install even though it does support VT-D, VT-X and SLAT (according to intel)

9 hours ago, toastboy said:

I don't know if SLAT is necessary because (according to Intel) my J1900 doesn't support SLAT or VT-X but I have no problems with VMM.  I have a Win10 and a Win7 VM on it and I can run either with no problems.  

I also have another XPE build on a G4620 and it runs a Win7 VM great but will fail on a Win10 install even though it does support VT-D, VT-X and SLAT (according to intel)

It is either something with the loader or the DMS intall. I put a new HDD in the PC and removed the loader and disconnected the DMS HDD's. I Loaded windows server 2008 with the  HyperV role then installed a win-7 OS and it ran great.  I re-did the loader and reinstalled the latest DMS and it will not start the VM. "Not enough memory". 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 25/10/2017 at 1:58 PM, ronin said:

Anyone tried enabling AMD SVM in BIOS? (Secure Virtual Machine - AKA AMD-V) on HP N54L AMD Turion II?

Hi , try enable it with my Asus Am1i-a but after some research synology kernel doesn't get the KVM for Amd driver and it's impossible to load it as a module (extra.lzma).

If we want AMD cpu that are fully compatible we need to compile or own synology kernel with "AMD Cpu" and "KVM_ADM" flag enable (and Radeon flag ...

in a perfect world) =/